Author Topic: Miss Grunge's Strawberry Jam modification from EDC  (Read 34254 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Miss Grunge's Strawberry Jam modification from EDC
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2011, 06:53:53 am »
Only 2 out of my 4 popped when I recently did Lemon Curd cardaddict so I am making sure I use the unpopped ones first and I have them in the fridge.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2011, 06:56:35 am »
I had one har that didn't pop with my last lot of jam. I had just put my finger on it to check (much later) and the slight pressure seemed to pop it. It must have been very close.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline cardaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2011, 11:03:39 am »
Thanks so much.  Need to practice some more and test some of the tips that are given here as I have some lovely strawberry topping!

Robynne

Offline DeeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2012, 05:56:43 am »
I have just made up a batch of this jam, only difference being that I used jam setting sugar. I cooked for the suggested amount of time and it seemed runny, although it did thicken on the plate. I cooked the extra 10 minutes in varoma, and was still a little worried it wasn't thick enough, so I followed the tips in the thread on runny jam, I put the juice from another lemon in and also a few pips and cooked another 10 minutes on varoma. It still seemed quite runny, but I imagine it will thicken on standing? Is in jars now and looks thick! I can't wait to test it out tomorrow!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2012, 07:33:48 am »
I'm sure it will be fine.

I made some apricot jam yesterday 1 kg apricots plus 1kg jam setting sugar and hey presto lovely jam.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 06:29:32 am by cookie1 »

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 08:14:28 am »
cookie1 i am sure you meant to say, 1kg jam setting sugar.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:36:43 am by fundj »
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2012, 06:30:12 am »
Drrrr. I had to read it through twice before I found the error. Thanks Uni. :-*

Offline DeeCat

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2012, 10:07:06 am »
Well the jam is great! Yummy as! Thanks for the recipe  :)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2012, 10:53:32 am »
I have made strawberry jam a few times now and always use the CSR jam sugar as well as Jamsetta for good measure. I had a few initial failures with  runny strawberry sauce, which even though is delicious, obviously doesn't have the texture of jam. When I have lemons on my tree I also whack in some lemon juice for extra measure. Don't ask me the quantities however, I just follow the rough recipe and do the jam on the saucer thing periodically whilst it is cooking to check the consistency.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline greenie

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2012, 08:33:06 am »
When bottling the jam I can't get the lids on the jar to get the 'pop' that you get from store bought jams.  I am sterilising them.

Will this make a difference?

Robynne (first time jammer  ;D)

I find more of my jars seal when I keep (and lids) them in the oven at 100C or just above.  I use clean jars, and put them in the oven for at least 15  mins, so hot jam is going into hot jars.  Got this tip from the lovely Jude Bleureau at a 'preserving the harvest' seminar she did. 

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2012, 09:44:07 am »
I have just made up a batch of this jam, only difference being that I used jam setting sugar. I cooked for the suggested amount of time and it seemed runny, although it did thicken on the plate. I cooked the extra 10 minutes in varoma, and was still a little worried it wasn't thick enough, so I followed the tips in the thread on runny jam, I put the juice from another lemon in and also a few pips and cooked another 10 minutes on varoma. It still seemed quite runny, but I imagine it will thicken on standing? Is in jars now and looks thick! I can't wait to test it out tomorrow!

You can't tell if the jam has reached the setting stage by it's thickness (although it does gel up around the TM bowl).  If you cooked it until it was thick you would need to cut it with a knife when it had cooled. It's best to do the freezer test. Chill a plate in the freezer and then place a spoonful of jam on it.  When it cools slightly, drag your finger through the jam.  If it crinkles up and doesn't move too much it is ready to bottle.  :)

Offline korrick

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2012, 10:08:52 pm »
After reading all the posts I was a bit worried about this but I thought I would give it a go. Strawberries were going cheap so ..... I combined a couple of recipes/ideas:

250 gms strawberries
250 gms sugar
zest whole lemon
rest of lemon, cut into quarters (pips included)

Cooked as per EDC - still a bit watery, so continued to cook on Varoma for 10 mins. It did thicken and smells fantastic.

I hope this helps everyone - I didn't use the jam setting sugar as I didn't have it. I think the lemon pips helped the setting.
Trying variation - added 1 green apple, vanilla extract. cooking as above.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:17:18 am by korrick »
Cooking is fun again with my TMX!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 05:46:41 am »
They sure do korrick.

Offline Amanda_01

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2012, 05:05:53 am »
Just wanted to make a note that my mum used to make strawberry jam with green apples for extra pectin, if you don't want to use jamsetta. 
She'd soften about 3 large green apples (uncored, with just stems and prickly stuff from the bottom removed and then roughly chopped) with half a chopped up lemon (skin on & seeds in) in a saucepan with a bit of water then push it through a seive to get about a cup of apple puree. Then add 4 cups of strawberries and 2.5 cups of sugar and cook as usual.  Once it's cooked up you can't taste the apple, but it makes the strawberries go a bit further when they're expensive and means you don't use quite so much sugar (I'm trying to cut down on the amount we use). 

Haven't tried it myself, but I'm going to make a batch probably tonight, so I'll let you know how it goes!

Offline Kayc

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2014, 03:00:51 am »
Just finished making this jam.  Perfect.  I had made it a couple of weeks ago and it was slightly runny.  This time I gave the strawberries a quick chop before adding the rest of the ingredients and it is perfect.  The colour and smell is amazing. Thank you for posting this