Author Topic: Dairy Free  (Read 3007 times)

Offline purplepepper

• View Profile
Dairy Free
« on: November 03, 2011, 01:53:04 am »
Hi there, was wondering if anybody has made some receipes with soy milk or any substitutes if you cant have dairy?  I love the broccoli and cheese soup but was wondering if anybody has used a substitute for the milk.. Thanks

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
Re: Dairy Free
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 02:56:45 am »
Our family prefer soy milk to normal milk and I substitute milk for any recipe with soy milk and work fine.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 04:10:55 am »
I'm just starting on a dairy free diet so can't help much, but once again, can I suggest checking out Quirky Jo's blog for lots of ideas.  Also see if you can get you hands on the Rainbow Recipes cook book from Aileen Sforcina as there are lots of ideas in there for you to try.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 05:09:07 am »
Like Denzelmum, when I want to use soy instead of dairy, I just substitute with soy. Sometimes I will thin it a bit as I think soy is a tad 'thicker'. ie I have a coconut bread recipe which calls for 3/4 cup of milk. My sister, who gave me the recipe, always substituted that for 1/2 cup soy & 1/4 cup water. I've always just done as she suggested, with lovely results.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline Bootobethin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 10:08:42 pm »
I have been cooking dairy free for a year now. I also suggest you check Quirky Jo's website.
I have substituted Soy and Rice and Cashew milk and cream in a wide range of recipes with success.
You can also use coconut milk in some recipes i.e. custards.
I substitute soy yogurt for cream in recipes such as curries and naan bread.
Instead of butter Nuttelex is a great dairy free substitute and works in all recipes.

Thermomix makes dairy free cooking really simple and you can usually find a substitute for most recipes.
Cheese is the most difficult to replace but Quirky Jo even has a recipe for a pizza like "cheese" which works very well.

We have a family member with an allergy to dairy proteins who becomes really ill if he eats any at all so we cook every thing from scratch. He is 14 and is now a good TMX chef!

Enjoy your cooking.