Author Topic: My standard loaf  (Read 21499 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: My standard loaf
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 03:09:07 pm »
Any ideas about needing the 2nd rising? When I made it, I sat the dough within baking paper (no butter but will try this if it helps) in the Romertopf in a sink full of water while it rose. Do you think it needs to be knocked down for a second rising? (I'm being a little lazy because I haven't had time to make it again doing a 2nd rising but want to make another loaf in the next few days when I get a chance). Paul, this was lovely using the molasses as well which is a nice variation and gives that lovely brown colour.  As a seasoned breakmaker, do you have any other bread recipes or is this the best one that you have come across so far and adapted?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 12:47:59 am »
Any ideas about needing the 2nd rising? When I made it, I sat the dough within baking paper (no butter but will try this if it helps) in the Romertopf in a sink full of water while it rose. Do you think it needs to be knocked down for a second rising? (I'm being a little lazy because I haven't had time to make it again doing a 2nd rising but want to make another loaf in the next few days when I get a chance). Paul, this was lovely using the molasses as well which is a nice variation and gives that lovely brown colour.  As a seasoned breakmaker, do you have any other bread recipes or is this the best one that you have come across so far and adapted?

I usually do knock it down before the second rising.  If your using majority wholegrain (not white flour), you could forego the second rising and just bake it after one rise.  This works very well when you use molasses and mostly whole grain.  So it might be worth trying that.  It's a bit crumbly but still very nice.  I've got a really good rice bread recipe if you're interested - tastes like crumpets when it's toasted!  And a few more.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 01:18:32 am »
Paul, I would be really interested in the recipe for the loaf that tastes like crumpets when you have the time to post it ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 06:23:06 am »
Paul, I would be really interested in the recipe for the loaf that tastes like crumpets when you have the time to post it ;D

OK, it's not a thermomix recipe though!

85g rice (any rice is fine)
250ml water
Strong plain flour 500g
15g salt
1 dessert spoon yeast

Cook the rice in a small saucepan by the absorption method (Cover it with enough water to reach the first joint of your little finger when resting on the rice in the saucepan.  Bring to boil, then simmer for 20 minutes covered).
Let the rice cool for about 10 minutes, then mix it with the flour with the tips of your fingers.  Add the 250ml of warm water, the salt and yeast and mix until it all comes together - no kneading, just until it mixes. The dough will be very soft and a bit sticky, that's fine.  Leave it to rise for 90 minutes.  Knock it down, add more flour if it is too soft and knead for a minute or so, not very long.  Place it in a buttered loaf tin, leave it to rise again for 30-45 minutes and bake at 230 for 15 minutes, 200 for 15 minutes, then tip it out of the tin and bake on its side at 180 for 15 minutes.  If the top starts to get too brown cover it with some foil at any time during the cooking.

It remains moist for ages and doesn't dry out like other bread.  Toasted, it tastes to me like crumpets.  Supposedly excellent for chicken sandwiches too.

Hope it works!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 12:26:07 pm »
 :-* :-* :-* Thank you  ;D Will print this out to try once I have finished with all the demo practice  ;D ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 01:43:29 pm »
Yum (again) I make this all the time now, and everyone is impressed because it looks and tastes like it was "bought" -- am taking  that as a compliment. I knock it down a second time, and it seems to improve the quality of the bread. Any leftovers get blitzed and put in the freezer for breadcrumbs later -- too good to waste. It would have to get a score of 9.5 from me.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 01:58:58 am »
Yum (again) I make this all the time now, and everyone is impressed because it looks and tastes like it was "bought" -- am taking  that as a compliment. I knock it down a second time, and it seems to improve the quality of the bread. Any leftovers get blitzed and put in the freezer for breadcrumbs later -- too good to waste. It would have to get a score of 9.5 from me.

It is a good one, isn't it?  I freeze leftovers as crumbs too.

Offline TMconvert

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 01:59:23 am »
Hi - Could someone give me a bit more info on cooking bread in a Rometopf?  It sounds like a great way to go.  Do you buy the covered unit?  What size is best?  Do you put a tin inside the covered unit?  etc etc  - I'm sure there are a few simple rules that will get me going!
Thanks
Barbara

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 06:31:46 am »
The Rometopf comes in two sizes that I am aware of, and I use the smaller size. After soaking the dish and lid in water for about 15 minutes you put the bread dough in (I use a big piece of baking paper to protect the dish as you cannot wash it with detergents) put the lid on, and then place in a cold oven to start with.  You could Google Rometopf as that will offer a better explanation. As clay is porous, by soaking the dish prior to placing in the oven you create steam, and is a very ancient and healthy method. I made a loaf of this today using this method.

I started off using the smaller dish for roasts, but couldn't fit as many veges in as I wanted so I ended up buying the bigger size as well.

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 09:17:57 am »

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2009, 10:21:03 am »
I'm pretty sure my small one is the Rustico (smallest) judging by the prices. I bought mine about 5 years ago so I am trying to remember... I can't work out which one would be the size of my largest....but I use the small one anyway for the bread  ;)

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2009, 11:34:52 am »

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 06:22:35 am »
Made this on the weekend, using normal loaf tin, and I was so happy with the result. I've been wanting a simple wholemeal bread recipe, and I think I've found it! I didn't add molasses - not too keen on sweet bread. Fabulous crust, toasts really well - might try it in my le creuset next time for something a bit more fancy!
Melbourne, inner north

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 11:22:39 am »
wow! just when I thought I'd found posts on here to last almost ever up pops another one!  This sounds fabulous!  Many thanks, deedub, for bumping it for everyone!  I enjoyed reading the exchange between Paul and Thermomixer - what a pity we don't seem to be hearing more from these lovely and knowledgeable people!!  :D

Thanks, too, to Gert - whose incorrigible temptings and teasings on the Shopping Thread led to my getting the Rommertopf at a fabulously bargain price from good ol' PofK!!  Love incorrigible!!  Gert, I owe you . . . .  ;D ;D

Moderators - would it be possible to give that other recipe that Paul posted - the loaf that tastes like crumpets - it's own thread - probably in the nonTMX section? - just a thought . . .

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 01:30:52 pm »
Goldfish I've put it in bread. I did it on the iPad, my first copy and paste so I hope it went ok. Will check it tomorrow on the desk top.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/