Author Topic: Any reactions from latest flu shot?  (Read 6679 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Any reactions from latest flu shot?
« on: March 28, 2010, 09:06:05 am »
The reason I ask this is because we had ours on Thursday afternoon and on Saturday morning I had to call an ambulance to DH because he was so spaced out, couldn't hear or see me and was definitely away with the tweetie birds for 10 minutes or so.  By the time the paramedics arrived he at least knew who I was and was speaking to me, looked ghastly though.  All his signs checked out OK though so we decided to just wait and see how he went throughout the day.  He started vomitting during the afternoon but felt quite OK in between those episodes.  You and I would go lie down if we felt sick but he never ever has a rest during the day so stayed in his wheelchair and almost fell asleep in that.  He gave in at 5.30 and I got him to bed for the night where he instantly fell asleep for 2.5 hours and felt so much better when he awoke.  I then got some Hydralyte into him as he hadn't eaten anything since breakfast.  Today is is fine so I was wondering if there could be side effects like this, maybe not as bad but because of his MS maybe.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Any reactions from latest flu shot?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 09:24:47 am »
JD, how upsetting for you,  hope your DH is getting better  and you are O.K.  We haven't had our shots yet so can't comment.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 11:25:54 am »
Oh JD. How terrifying for you. That must have given you both such a scare.

In the past I've had the flu shot, but after much reading I've decided to stop this year.  How accurate they are, I'm not sure but www.naturalnews.com have many reports on the flu shots.

How is Geoff doing today?
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 12:21:51 pm »
I don't know what the latest ones do, but after my FIL ended up in hospital 2 years running, I've been put off for life.

That's a horrible experience for you - I think the flu sounds like a much better alternative.  Hope he's feeling better soon.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 12:29:30 pm »
What a awful thing to happen JD.  I hope your DH is on the mend now.

This is a good topic to bring up.  There are lot's of advertisements on TV and the radio here about the next wave of swine flu.  I have been wondering about health risks and side effects.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 01:27:38 pm »
To my knowledge, this year's flu vaccine covers the swine flu too and some people are experiencing a little stinging sensation when having it whereas normally it is completely pain free.

DH is good today.  Yes it was scary, I though he was leaving me for sure and I am just not ready for that.  Thanks for your concern everyone.  :-* :-*

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 01:41:29 pm »
Judy, I'm so glad that it turned out OK, but what a terrifying experience!
I've never had a flu shot, but my elderly FIL has one each year, so I'll take extra care and monitor him after he has it this time.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 02:33:41 pm »
Very interesting & also concerning to read your post JD. Out of the blue our GP has recommended we all (2 adult & DS 11 & 16) get the flu shots this year. we have never had flu shots before & I wasn't enticed to have the swine flu shot last year after all the negative feedback on the vaccine. Our GP knows we are not a sickly family so I was quite take aback with the recommendation. After reading your post I am again hesitant to expose my boys to the vaccine.
Hoper your DH has completely recovered.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 01:30:29 am »
Oh dear! I hope Geoff is doing ok. I have only ever used Homeopathic remedies and have just got a new batch to cover us for winter. This is where I ordered mine from over the internet. It is from Tassie. She has a page on swine flu here:
 http://www.elementsofhealth.com.au/pages/PANDEMICINFO.php

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 04:20:24 am »
Not a nice feeling Judy. A real worry for you. Hats off to you though as you always seem to cope really well with all the set backs. You have such a beautful nature!! :-* :-* :-*

I had a flu shot years ago along with the teens (they were young ones then) as they all suffered asthma badly. It was the sickest we have EVER  been (I really did think I was going to die from that flu and pluresy)  so have avoided them for years.... then DH had a pneumonia so it was recommended that he have it...his own call...then came DS number 4 who in his 5 years of age has had 8 pneumonias and has the flu injection at the insistance of the Doctor...

I had already decided that this year it wasn't to happen as I just can't judge if it may be contributing to his bad health!!

Thanks for your link Nay - am off to order it now!
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 05:07:57 am »
Good to hear things are OK now JD.  Scary when you have reactions to vaccines.  Not fun at all.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 07:36:59 am »
Judy what a nasty shock for you and Geoff. I hope it has all gone for ever now.

We always have a flu shot and have never had any reaction. Several months ago our GP almost held me down and gave me a swine flu shot. (not quite, but he was very persuasive). I had no reaction at all.  We'll be having our usual flu shots in the next few weeks so I'll be interested to see how we go. DD always has to have one for work so I'll see how she goes. She had a milk allergic reaction  a couple of years ago.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 08:36:31 am »
Not a nice feeling Judy. A real worry for you. Hats off to you though as you always seem to cope really well with all the set backs. You have such a beautful nature!! :-* :-* :-*
  Thanks Kathryn but I do go into panic mode at times and all you can do is deal with what comes your way and hope for a good outcome.  Everyone has their problems and some are a lot worse off than we are.  It is nice to be able to share  problems with our wonderful forum members - getting it off our chest does help a lot. :-* :-*

Cookie, if it was the flu shot which caused this reaction then it is the first time ever.  We are seeing the doctor again on Thursday so will ask him if he has heard of anything similar happening.

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 08:58:32 am »
:o :o :o
My grandfather is 95 this year and he is always warning us grandkids away from flu shots.  Probably just as well I've never had one.. I have hypersensitivity to chemicals and pharmaceuticals which is scary enough in itself!

Haven't been able to take the kids for any either...   :-\

Glad your DH is on the way up though!!  :-*
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem