Author Topic: Sourdough Making  (Read 10035 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Sourdough Making
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 05:18:32 am »
OMG - thanks Chookie - why would they tell you to throw it out?  You only need small amounts and you would be better to put half in another container and feed it.

If you put it in the fridge or pantry during the warmer weather to slow down the growth that may help.  usually should only need to feed daily.

Did you manage to check the sourdough intro link?

« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 05:22:18 am by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 11:40:00 pm »
Just bumping this one as my starter arrived yesterday and it seems to be bubbling away quite happily 20hrs later.   :o

Wondering if I should wait a couple more days before using some or not... the links don't explain those options.  :D
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 08:06:40 am »
I'd feed it for a couple more days,  equal amounts of filtered water and flour.    Always leave 1/2 cup in the bottom of the jar after you have used it,  and start feeding again.    Always leave mixture for 7 to 8 hours after feeding,  before using.

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 12:03:42 pm »
Thanks again chookie!  :-*

I'll give it until Thursday I think... do I take some out to keep in the fridge at anytime too?

Sorry... this is quite a new learning curve for me!  :-[
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 11:16:46 pm »
After you have used your first lot of starter,  feed it , leave on the bench for a couple of hours,  then put in fridge.   If the volume of starter is not going to be enough for your next lot of bread making feed it each day with equal amounts of flour and water.  Hope this helps Ceejay.     Just remember that the 'bug' in the starter is quite tough and take quite a lot of bad treatment.