Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 8841 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Introduce yourself
« on: November 30, 2009, 10:46:05 am »
I am going to attempt to introduce myself.     Although I have been a member for a few days , I have't introduced myself because i didn't how.    I'm still not sure that this will end up where it should.   But ,here goes.   I am a Grandmother who lives in the country, in the Macedon Ranges, in Victoria.     i have been interested in cooking since I was a child [I could cook a roast dinner for the family when I was 12].   I have a vast range of cooking books - over 300.  I like going to cooking demonstrations.    I flew to Tassie to a cooking class last April.   This was a 70th. Birthday present.  I am passionate [ some might say obsessive] about bread making.  Sour dough is a real interest.    Since I've had my T.M I have worked at the basic recipe for bread in the EDC book. It is not good.   The ingredient list is o.k.,  but the process is poor.  
Having had a working life as an educator, it is not surprising that I teach friends how to make bread .  Today was good, I used the T.M to make sour dough.  I used the machine to do the  kneading  .  
My aim is to learn to use this computer, so that I can enjoy the sharing and contribute .[I also got this computer for my birthday].  and have made real progress with help from the most generous Thermomixer and Judydawn..  I would like to be able to post pictures of recipes i've converted.    Perhaps this is aiming a bit high.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 10:53:58 am »
Hi chookie, glad to see you finally introduced yourself after lurking for a while.  I'm sure I can speak for Thermomixer as well in saying that it was our pleasure to help you start posting and commenting on this forum plus drawing attention to your blog because you have so much to contribute.  You grasped the TMX so quickly I'm sure your computer skills will pick up too.  Since giving you a couple of lessons in posting recipes and commenting, you have been quite active on the forum so we expect to see a lot more from you now.  Go ahead and share your thoughts on the basic bread process from the EDC - everyone will want to hear what your preferred method is.  It is so nice to have you with us, keep enjoying your cooking and converting your favourite recipes.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 11:06:58 am »
Very inspirational!! You have contributed to the forum so much in the last few days! Welcome and Thankyou  ;)

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 07:29:25 pm »
Hello and welcome. I live in Portugal and have the Portuguese version of the EDC and downloaded the German version. My opinion of the Portuguese version is that its very poor too. I have hardly made anything from it and don't find the recipes very inviting so your opinion of the EDC does not suprise me. I am, like most people, grateful for these forums where people with culinary skills are happy to share their  knowledge.
WELCOME!
Barbara

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 08:15:33 pm »
Welcome chookie.....pleased to have you aboard, all of your cooking skills and knowledge will be a wonderful aid to us all! I look forward to seeing some of your lovely recipes on here! I am a Brit living in Spain for over 20 years, so really half British and half Spanish, I enjoy cooking both styles, very different, my children say they are spoiled as they eat the best dishes from both countries! Am very impressed with both your THX and computer skills, I can assure you it won't take you long to be posting photos, maybe Santa will bring you a Digital camera (unless you already have one) and then there will be no stopping you! ;) ;) ;) ;)
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 11:36:11 pm »
Welcome again chookie.  :-* :-* :-* :-*  Great to have you on board and contributing.  Best to ask the grandchildren to help put the photos on here.  They will know how.  A link that may help is http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=191.0

Good work and have fun.  We don't bite (hard).  ;D ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 12:09:39 am »
Oh chookie don't worry about your computer skills. We have all levels here and if you make mistakes  no body will care.  Just have fun sharing.

Cheers,
Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 12:26:09 am »
Yeah chookie - I learn all the time - there are people who have a lot more computer skills than me, but I survive.  If there are problems with your posts then we can help.  It is your ability to convert that impresses me most.  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 04:49:56 am »
Hi and a big enormous welcome Chookie. :-* :-* I thought you were describing me for a minute, although I haven't been off to  food demos in Tassie. (would love to though) Like you I adore bread making and would love to hear your adaptions. I've been cooking since I was knee high to a grasshopper-that was from having a mother who loved to cook and taught me well. I'm hopeless on the computer and have..............cookbooks (I'm too scared to say). I still love to buy and receive new ones though. I now look at them through TMX eyes.   You have a couple of years on me though.

It is lovely to have you here and I love your recipes. Thermomixer and Judy are lovely people.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 09:43:36 am »
Welcome, Chookie!  I'm enjoying the contributions you've made so far very much.  Can't wait to learn more about bread - especially sour dough.  I've come on in leaps and bounds with my bread making over the last year and have learned so much - enough to know that I want to learn lots more  ;D

I'm impressed that you're already converting recipes - wow.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 12:53:01 pm »
wow chookie, look at you go! How many fridges have you got? They must be jam packed full  :D My mum thinks she is too set in her ways to consider a TM, and is cooking for just Dad and her (same for MIL)... what was the selling point for a TM for you?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 03:05:39 pm »
Great questions CP63  ;D I would like to know the answer too ;)

I also want to know all there is to know about your breadmaking - hit me with it  ;D ;D ;D
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 12:49:07 am »

Nice to see so many welcomes , thank you.     Answers to ?'s.   BREAD-  Would like to do some posts on bread.  Both yeast and sour dough.    I'm experimenting with drying the sour dough culture.   If this works,  I would be prepared to post ( no charge ) to forum members who want to make sour dough bread but can't be bothered growing their own culture.

WHY - big question.  I love cooking, we entertain a lot, I have equipment to make life easier.  My 5 year GD says Ma likes to feed the world.!  I realized at the deomo. that I had things that would complement the T.M.       An Ice maker, an Icecream Machine and a vacuum sealing machine.  I vacuum seal many things and then freeze them.    Soup,  made in the T.M is enough for 4-6 serves,  we eat some and then I freeze the rest in 2 serve amounts.    I can rush in from the garden and have lunch on the table in a few minutes.

FRIDGES  and FREEZERS - CP63 I have a few !    A large bench one, that the kids call jurassic park, ( clean this out every 6 months ) cook up anything that  has escaped attention, and give to the chooks.  Also 2 upright ones organized into various  categories, with a card system so that I can quickly find whatever.   We live 20 mins. from the nearest shop,  and 30 mins, from a decent shopping center.   I can't resist a bargain,  if something is a good buy,  I must have it.   

This all sounds a bit over the top-  but we eat something from the garden every day,   Friends will bring fruit or vegies that they have too much of and we will have a cook up.    They go home with 1/2 of what we have made plus a loaf of bread.   I often make a loaf of bread to the 2nd proving stage ,and they cook it when they get home.   The T.M recipe (modified) is excellent for this as it can go in a cold oven.

CP63 you could point out to your mum,  that since I have had the T. M. our bottled gas bill has been cut in 1/2.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 01:01:48 am »
Welcome Chookie, I really look forward to seeing your posts on bread - both yeast and sour dough.  I agree with your opinion on the bread recipes in the EDC.  I love to bake bread and think that the TM is good with kneading, but the whole process needs to be slowed down to achieve any flavour!
Judy has told me about your cooking skills and expertise and I look forward to learning from you! :)
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 01:10:49 am »
Welcome Chookie,  I also can't wait to hear more about your cooking adventures with the TM.  I must say I agree with you about the cookbook that came with the machine.  Such a shame but how wonderful it is to be part of the Forum.  Such a great group of caring people.

Trudy