Author Topic: Five Seed Bread (EDC)  (Read 5950 times)

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
Five Seed Bread (EDC)
« on: December 28, 2013, 03:23:38 am »
If you like a light, white bread stop reading now  :D

This bread has substance but is lighter than I thought (even though I substituted 100g milled wheat and some rye flour for white flour). The dough was definitely the stickiest, wettest, messiest dough I have ever seen  ;D

I used two small loaf pans this time but has anyone tried this as one "normal" loaf? I thought about it but the dough is so moist and dense that I thought the centre of a large loaf may not cook properly.

Probably not for everyone but I loved this bread. For me it is another way to use seeds that I buy in bulk and it's delicious with homemade jams (apricot on the left and fig on the right)  5/5
Linked CC
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:58:26 am by Cornish Cream »
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Five Seed Bread (EDC)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 06:05:13 am »
I used to make this loaf as my everyday bread. We love it. As you said it is a big gooey sticky mess. From memory I think I changed over to making Helene's version of this as I found it easier to deal with. I now use Chhokie's no fuss bread and muck it up with all sorts of things.
This bread has a lovely flavour though. I think it may be time to make it again.  ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
Five Seed Bread (EDC)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 09:56:51 am »
Djinni, thanks to your review, I made this today. I made one large loaf and it rose really well, but when I covered it with foil to stop it browning too much, it sank. It is cooked in the middle and has a lovely flavour, but looks horrible. Where did I go wrong?

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 01:21:16 am »
Glad I inspired you Kimmy as it was your xmas hampers that inspired mine :)

Bread is fun as there's often an element of surprise ;D

In my experience, dough collapses if it is too wet, over-risen or the oven's not hot enough. Did your loaf double in size when rising? Anymore than that and it loses "structure". When did you put the alfoil on? Maybe the oven lost too much heat ???

Also I'm wondering about one large loaf with this really heavy, goopey dough. The recipe uses a square pan ??? (which is why I used two small loaf pans). I'm sure the experienced bread bakers here will know more ;D

This is a really nice bread and I'm sure your next loaf will be lovely. I might try it in a single loaf tin with a lid next and see how that turns out.

“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 09:32:50 am »
Thanks for the tips. Yes I think I will try a lid next time too as I'm not sure what else I did wrong. It rose to top of tin (more than double). Never mind, love the flavour and it's worth trying again.

Offline kt2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 11:47:33 am »
Hi Kimmyh, I've just seen this on facebook and thought of you. I've just copied it and will paste it below. Good luck!  :)

"Cook verses Chef shared Alice in Thermoland's photo.
Sharing this tried and tested tweak to the 5 grain bread

Who else has problems with the FIVE GRAIN BREAD LOAF from the EDC? I usually find that the loaf collapses and after speaking to my local bread shop, she thinks 500g of water is WAY too much and I should try it with only 300g instead. PERFECT!! (and actually did the standard 2 rises with the first rise wrapped in a Thermomat and the second happening in the loaf tin)... look at our lunch! Chicken, avocado and cheese sandwiches with home made butter"
Katie, Perth WA

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 12:02:30 pm »
Kt2 that is wonderful. Thank you.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 12:53:12 pm »
Thank you KT2. I don't feel so bad knowing that others have had problems. Thanks again for sharing, much appreciated.

Offline kt2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 01:08:14 pm »
I hope it helps! There was a photo of the loaf and it looked perfect   :)
Katie, Perth WA