Author Topic: Hamburger buns, recipe based on all the help i got over here.. With pics  (Read 65930 times)

Offline tarasis

• Stay at home dad with a Thermomix & 2 kids :)
    • View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
Re: Hamburger buns, recipe based in all the help i got over here.. With pics
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2013, 11:02:46 pm »
These look great! Just wondering if anyone knows whether the egg in the dough is essential?

there is no egg in the dough, the egg is for a wash to give it a shiny coating and to help the sesame seeds stick, you could use milk instead of egg !

Planning on making these tomorrow to go with the KFC chicken, however I am a bit puzzled Stef. You say here there is no egg in the dough BUT your instructions on page one say

mix the dry ingredients and add to the bowl, with the egg..
and then later
Beat the spare egg and brush eggwash on the buns.. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top!

Should there be egg in the dough? Have others been putting it in?
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

http://tarasis.net

Offline stef

• my favorite monkey in antwerp zoo
    • View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2013, 07:10:11 am »
These look great! Just wondering if anyone knows whether the egg in the dough is essential?

there is no egg in the dough, the egg is for a wash to give it a shiny coating and to help the sesame seeds stick, you could use milk instead of egg !

Planning on making these tomorrow to go with the KFC chicken, however I am a bit puzzled Stef. You say here there is no egg in the dough BUT your instructions on page one say

mix the dry ingredients and add to the bowl, with the egg..
and then later
Beat the spare egg and brush eggwash on the buns.. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top!

Should there be egg in the dough? Have others been putting it in?

Hey , tarasis, you are quite right!  The egg is only used for the wash.. There is NO EGG in the dough, only in the wash, but you can use water or milk instead.. I will correct that. SORRY for the mistake and thanks for bringing it on!
Cheers !
Stef
Live life to the fullest

Bonsai

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2013, 11:42:04 am »
Ooh, I put egg in the dough - worked out fine but nice to know it doesn't really need one. Really nice rolls and a change from my usual sourdough. Great recipe Stef

Offline tarasis

• View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2013, 01:06:17 pm »
Thanks Stef for the clarification, wanted to be sure :)

Kids really liked them as they scoffed 2 each for lunch, and none of the chicken :/

I will definitely be making the rolls again :)
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2013, 09:25:37 am »
Fantastic recipe stef. Thank you these are so soft and just like the bought ones (except no nasties) Really easy recipe. Will be making these again and again. Will try as hot dog rolls next.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2013, 09:40:59 am »
They look perfect Kimmy.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2013, 09:47:36 am »
Tarasis, kimmyh, they look great indeed! Glad to hear my recipe is working for you too! Now we can all enjoy more healthy guilty pleasures, and you can keep them in a plastic bag for a few days too!
Live life to the fullest

Bonsai

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2013, 01:14:27 pm »
Made these again today larger as buns to fit sausages. Typically DS 22 and DD 19 didn't make it home for dinner so......    Never mind, I find these buns survive in the fridge for a few days. People who don't show up for dinner have to cope with not so fresh bread 😉

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2013, 02:11:07 pm »
Good on you bonsai, i agree they stay goodfora few days, specially if you decide to toast them a bitvon the cut side (i put them cut side down on a slightly oiled hot flat top or cast iron non stick pan
Live life to the fullest

Bonsai

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2013, 02:21:57 pm »
I usually bake plain sourdough for loaves. I think the milk and butter in your dough improves the keeping power.  I added whey and water instead of milk and water and apparently the buns are really good. 😊 I made 6  bigger buns today.

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2013, 02:28:24 pm »
Nice, B!
Can you help me on a good sour dough recipe? All the ones i find on the net are so complicated and confusing...
Live life to the fullest

Bonsai

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2013, 11:49:10 am »
I use the starter that has been discussed on the forum and keep it in the fridge. I let it get back to room temperature then feed it (usually in evening) and then use it for a loaf the next day. I have to admit I cheat a bit and add a little bit of yeast as otherwise the rise is so slow I'd be waiting a whole day for a loaf.

I have a rye starter and use this with white bread flour or spelt flour as 100% rye is too heavy. Can't remember exactly which recipe I use ! I'll have a look and report back when I have the computer on.

Offline tarasis

• View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2013, 03:07:30 pm »
Made these again still popular with everyone, though for me def not so great the next day (was in a sealed bread bin). Will try the plastic bag next time to see how they fair.

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2013, 06:43:12 pm »
The meat
The buns and the finished result: baby letuce, tomato, home made pickled cucumber, homemade pickled jalapeno, home dried unions, home made ketchup, mayo and pickalily sauce .. A layer of home made grainy mustard and some cheese...  That's all she wrote lol
Live life to the fullest

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2013, 12:00:03 am »
These rolls are great, quick & easy. Great to make on holidays when you need a quick rise.

I make  at home regularaly too :)
Mum to Crown Prince......