Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6136676 times)

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #11655 on: November 29, 2013, 08:22:11 am »
CC thanks for the photo, nice to see you again.
Cookie,we have an office in nth Dandy, I was admiring the Christmas trees driving there the other day. Where did you stop for the photos?
Denise

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #11656 on: November 29, 2013, 08:58:15 am »
Thank you McMich and CC. I hope she will like the nursing home. Luckily, a friend of hers of 40 years standing already resides there. So I am hoping that will help in making the transition smoother.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #11657 on: November 29, 2013, 09:18:33 am »
Hoping all goes well with your Mum Courton and that a place can be found soon for her. 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11658 on: November 29, 2013, 11:17:26 am »
Courton I am sure you are feeling a little better after the agonising decisions.

Bedlam the photos were taken on back roads parallel to the Forrest Highway about level with Rockingham. Not sure of the names of the roads.

Marina now long ago did you post your SS please? I may have to contact your SS. Some are taking up to 3 weeks within Australia.

Today we attended the funeral of a friend aged 66. He had cancer. His adult daughters were brilliant in speaking about their loved Dad. I feel so much for them and his wife. Sometimes life just isn't fair.  ::
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #11659 on: November 29, 2013, 08:10:28 pm »
Thinking of you Courton xx

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #11660 on: November 29, 2013, 09:37:02 pm »
Thank younYvette and Cookie.

JD, at this stage I have booked mum in from Dec 16. If for some reason it falls through I will investigate brokers. Very good advice re visiting her at different times. Will remember it. :-*

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11661 on: November 29, 2013, 09:53:07 pm »
Courton so pleased  you have found a place for mum. I am sure it will be fine. Not a bad time of year either and hopefully everyone will be full of good cheer making the transition easier for all.

Cookie that  is so sad. Nasty horrible thing is Cancer and effects so many.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11662 on: November 29, 2013, 10:56:49 pm »
That's good news courton and the fact that she already knows one of the residents is a real bonus.  A familiar face will be so good for her.   Best wishes to all of you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #11663 on: November 30, 2013, 06:33:02 am »
We're finally having some nice weather in Melbourne, yay! So I put a "screen ban" on the kids and made them help me with some gardening. Garden is so overgrown, made a start but still loads to do and nowhere to put the cuttings etc as my council doesn't do regular green waste collection :(. Time to outsource methinks! Then we put up the Xmas tree a day early - normally do it on the 1st December but DD is busy tomorrow. Walked the dog, then dusted off the bikes and went for a ride. Now I'm putting my feet up and resting my sore behind - hate those bike seats!
Melbourne, inner north

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11664 on: November 30, 2013, 07:47:27 am »
Thank younYvette and Cookie.

JD, at this stage I have booked mum in from Dec 16. If for some reason it falls through I will investigate brokers. Very good advice re visiting her at different times. Will remember it. :-*

Courton - I've been thinking of you and wondering how you've been getting on.  The news that you have found what looks like a highly suitable place sounds very good and the fact that your Mum already knows someone there is a great plus!  I do wish you well - and please keep all that wonderful advice from Judy on hand - even print it out and put it somewhere where it will be a reminder for you - on both the good days - and those you wish could have been better.

Some years back I promised myself that Mum, and eventually her sister, would always remain at home, but after what seemed countless stays in the hospital, the doctors finally convinced me that the time had come when I simply could not deliver the care that was needed.  They gave me a list of places to go and see - some were good, and some . . . .well . . .    Eventually, I decided on somewhere just 5 minutes away by car which was a blessing as I could drop in either before or after work.  And as for guilt,  I can only second what Judy has put in a nutshell for you - don't, please, even entertain thinking about it!!

All the very best - and all fingers, etc, are crossed that everything just goes very smoothly for you and your parents. :-*

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 07:51:36 am by goldfish »

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #11665 on: November 30, 2013, 08:39:38 am »
Marina now long ago did you post your SS please? I may have to contact your SS. Some are taking up to 3 weeks within Australia.
Cookie, it's probably not all that bad, time wise, it is only a week since I posted it, but it didn't have that far to go.  Hopefully all will be well.

Just arrived home this afternoon to spot some horribly familiar feathers in our orchard - one of our retired old girls has gone to hen heaven - undoubtedly thanks to a fox!  Down to two now, but they belong to our neighbours and he said last week that he may be putting some more into our hen house soon, so our numbers will be up again.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #11666 on: November 30, 2013, 07:48:42 pm »
Court on, I'm so pleased things seem to be working out with your Mum and hope the transition goes well. How is you Dad feeling about it? You have an amazing job caring for them for so long.

Debbie, that was a great day. I'm not a bike rider for the same reason.  ;D

I had a bit of a messed up day, going out of my way to go to the jeweller to find that it's still not made so it was a wasted trip, then in the opposite direction to visit Mum in hospital and then back the opposite way to watch DS play basketball. We did catch the train into the city to go to the Noodle night market and despite the very long quests enjoyed the food, wine, music and atmosphere but it was quite an expensive night.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #11667 on: November 30, 2013, 11:35:26 pm »
Thank you Goldfish and Wonder. I feel better having found mum a nursing home that has a good reputation among mum's friends. I tried to see if my father could be admitted as well but he is currently classified as low care and this nursing home accepts high care residents only. Some days he understands mum's need for a nursing home and other days he keeps asking when she is coming home.

JD's advice about not feeling guilty is worth it's weight in gold. I remind myself of this whenever I start to feel guilty.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11668 on: November 30, 2013, 11:47:43 pm »
There is no need ever to feel guilty Courton. You may regret having to do it for you own reasons but guilt is something all together different and is a waste of time and energy. You want her to be safe and in caring hands and so it will be. Guilt has no place here  as you have done no wrong.

You will now have the time and freedom to do some very special things for your mother just as Judy does for Geoff and others at his home. You don't think she eats all that food she cooks do you?

So sayeth Sister Angelica Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Lucyluu

• View Profile
Silk bowtie Quilt
« Reply #11669 on: December 01, 2013, 02:54:06 am »
 Finished it on Thursday and gave it away Yesterday as a Wedding present.It's queen size so you can't see all of it on my double bed but you get the idea
It includes 81 different silk ties and the back is Star Trek Material. The groom, my nephew, is a bit of a science fiction fan as well as a gamer. I'm sure he'll appreciate it
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 02:55:39 am by Lucyluu »
Chief cook and bottle washer