Author Topic: Non-Fried Rice  (Read 30556 times)

Offline Karonjulie

• View Profile
Non-Fried Rice
« on: February 05, 2009, 10:24:18 am »
Non-Fried Rice

Number of People:  6 serves as a side dish

Ingredients:

400g rice of your choice
1000g water
800g mixed frozen veggies (corn, peas & carrots)
100g mushrooms
6 rashers bacon
1 large onion
1 garlic glove
2 eggs (light beaten with fork)
20g oil
soy sauce
salt & pepper
tinned or fresh bamboo sprouts

Preparation:

Wash and weight rice in basket and place in TM bowl after filling with 1000g of water.

Add frozen veggies & mushrooms to varoma and put in place.

Cook for 18-20 mins  (depending on rice used, 40 mins for brown rice) on varoma temp on speed 4.

Once cooked remove and place rice and veggies into thermo bowl and mix, add salt & pepper.   Gently fold through eggs while hot.  

Chop garlic & onion on speed 7 for 5 seconds.

Place in bacon and turbo until desired size.

Add oil and saute for 4 mins on 100 degrees speed 1.  Gently mix into rice and veg mix.    Fold through bamboo sprouts and soy sauce.

members' comments

ralo - this is very yummy but two tips:

(1) bacon probably only needs to be turbo'd for 3 seconds. Mine became mince.
(2) if you decide to be lazy and combine ingredients in the TM - remember to hit reverse.
Ours was very mushy:)

Thermomixer - Yes, watch the mincing - it can get away from you. You can use the mush to make balls to fry as arancini style risotto balls.

VHJ - Made this and it was lovely. I didn't have mushrooms or bamboo shoots so used a red capsicum, peas and some frozen Asian style vegies instead. I also added 2 teaspoons of Hoisin sauce as that is a flavour my family like in fried rice. Thanks Karenjulie.

JD - This is a winner Karonjulie. In this house, it would serve 10 people - in fact there was so much it wouldn't fit in my thermosaver so I mixed it all together in my baking dish. Plenty of leftovers.  I only used a 500g pkt frozen carrot, cauli, broccoli & sugar snap peas, added roasted red capsicum instead of mushrooms and didn't have any sprouts.  Used a combination of hoisin & soy sauce.
The 400g rice was almost busting out of the steaming basket so for this household, next time I will definitely halve all quantities. Served it with Mayet's delicious Adobo and it was one very happy DH - 2 of his favourite foods. 5/5 from us for this recipe.

ahoney - This is one of my family's favourite meals. Tonight I used Chinese style veg added some diced fried kangaroo steak and some dulse flakes and a fair bit of smokey paprika in with onion and bacon and a little veg stock powder - it was awesome!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 02:46:44 am by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: NON-FRIED FRIED RICE
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 03:23:32 am »
NON-FRIED FRIED RICE - LOL - my work mate brought in some of her fried rice once and said "You like cooking, tell me why this fried rice doesn't taste right?"  I tasted it and asked "Did you fry it?"  "No, should I?"  She loves telling people about her folly. 

This sounds great,   ;D ;D ;D ;D

I am not a fan (AT ALL) of the very greasy fried rice that is often served in Chinese restaurants in Australia.

This I would gladly cook and eat.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline ralo

• View Profile
    • Failsafe cooking with the Thermomix
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 01:43:03 pm »
This is very yummy but two tips:

(1) bacon probanly only needs to be turbo'd for 3 seconds. Mine became mince

(2) if you decide to be lazy and combine ingredients in the TM - remember to hit reverse

FAILSAFE and Dairy-free cooking is so much easier with a Thermomix!

My blog: failsafethermomix.blogspot.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 10:46:40 pm »
This is very yummy but two tips:

(1) bacon probanly only needs to be turbo'd for 3 seconds. Mine became mince

(2) if you decide to be lazy and combine ingredients in the TM - remember to hit reverse

Yes, watch the mincing - it can get away from you.

You can use the mush to make balls to fry as arancini style risotto balls.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline ralo

• View Profile
    • Failsafe cooking with the Thermomix
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 01:02:02 am »
risotto balls - what a great idea!
FAILSAFE and Dairy-free cooking is so much easier with a Thermomix!

My blog: failsafethermomix.blogspot.com

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 01:15:26 am »
the speed of chopping used in the book (at least i assumed that is where i got speed 6 for everything from lol) is just too fast. now i do everything at 4, and just move up slowly if that's not enough. i need to go back and review all my old recipes and change them!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 08:09:21 am »

. now i do everything at 4, and just move up slowly if that's not enough. i need to go back and review all my old recipes and change them!

Think that's a DITTO for me  ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 02:47:43 am »
Made this last night and it was lovely. I didn't have mushrooms or bamboo shoots so used a red capsicum, peas and some frozen asian style vegies instead. I also added 2 teaspoons of Hoisin sauce as that is a flavour my family like in fried rice. Thanks Karenjulie.  :-*
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Paulinel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 07:44:17 am »
I cannot wait to try this at the weekend. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 05:50:00 am »
This is a winner Karonjulie. In this house, it would serve 10 people - in fact there was so much it wouldn't fit in my thermosaver so I mixed it all together in my baking dish. Plenty of leftovers.  I only used a 500g pkt frozen carrot, cauli, broccoli & sugar snap peas, added roasted red capsicum instead of mushrooms and didn't have any sprouts.  Used a combination of hoisin & soy sauce.
The 400g rice was almost busting out of the steaming basket so for this household, next time I will definitely halve all quantities. Served it with Mayet's delicious Adobo and it was one very happy DH - 2 of his favourite foods. 5/5 from us for this recipe.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:18:24 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Sundari

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 06:26:48 am »
Very similar

I typed this up after watching my GL make it

Nancy’s Fried rice

(all steamed no oil or frying involved)

Ingredients
4-5 eggs
chives
2 shallots
peas and corn (could be frozen or fresh) handful of each
˝ red capsicum
˝ green capsicum
1 stick celery
5 rashers bacon (optional)

can of coconut milk (or make your own in the TM)
water (to make the total liquid of coconut milk and water up to 800-900g)

200g basmati rice (if wanting to feed a larger group can increase this up to 400g and increase vegies etc may need to add a little time to the rice cooking)

sweet soy sauce (or tamari or sweet chilli to taste)

Method
Chop chives in bowl and set aside

Put celery, capsicum, bacon and shallots in bowl and chop on speed 4 for 6 seconds – place in large varoma dish
Add peas and corn to varoma dish.

Without washing the bowl add chives and eggs to TM bowl and mix for 5 seconds on speed 6
Wet and scrunch up a piece of baking paper and lay out on varoma tray – pour egg mixture into this (this is also the way you can do your eggs and omelettes in the varoma)

Put steamer basket into TM and add rice – weigh in as you go

Add coconut milk to the bowl and water to make up to 800g (900g if using more rice)

Fasten lid and add varoma to the top – add tray of egg now or in the last 5 minutes of cooking, and put on varoma lid.

Set timer to 20 min on varoma temp at speed 4.

Remove varoma and place varoma lid underneath the varoma bowl to avoid drips
Slice up the egg finely in the tray using spatula and add egg and rice to the vegies and stir through – add sweet soy.  (tamari sweet chilli or your preference of sauces can be used).

Recipe by Nancy Day GL Nth Qld
Birth Worker
Mum to one DD 6yrs
Thermomix Consultant

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 06:47:17 am »
Thanks for the variation - sounds like the recipe Quirky Jo published on her blog.  http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/2009/08/thermomix-fried-rice.html

It sounds like a real winner. - this is the sort of dish to impress people with what the TMX can do.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 11:15:04 am »
I think it is the same recipe.  We cook it often and love it.   :)

Offline Sundari

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 02:35:42 pm »
I found the method quite a bit different to Jo's variation as I had made that before.
Birth Worker
Mum to one DD 6yrs
Thermomix Consultant

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 11:17:53 pm »
Thanks Sundari -  :-* :-* :-* :-*- have to actually make them both.   :-[ :-[ :-[  I really appreciate that you have published the method - there myust be so many recipes that consultants and group leaders have that would be great to have on the forum
Thermomixer in Australia