Author Topic: Supermarket angst  (Read 15546 times)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Supermarket angst
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 03:45:46 am »
I used to work for ADFS  which packaged Sunbeam, black and gold, IGA brands.
all the same, but different pricing.

It is a great marketing thing
Mortien, pea bau and black flag are all  owned by the same company.

same as Nu Clenz and pine o cleen, one is dearer, one is quite cheap
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Supermarket angst
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 06:39:57 am »
I think you need to try generic and if you find it ok, fair enough. I like some and not others.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
Supermarket angst
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 08:56:58 am »
I agree cookie which us why I want choice. Sometimes standards go down if no competition.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Supermarket angst
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 09:01:07 am »
I agree. I was looking for dried fruit and nuts the other day in Woolies and the brand I usually buy was gone and a WW own brand was there.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Supermarket angst
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 10:14:23 am »

Domestos and the generic the same. Panadol is just paracetamol . Buy the cheapest. I get Panamax 100 tabs for $1.

Lots of things are the same ingredients and packaged by the same company.

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Supermarket angst
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 10:16:05 am »

Domestos and the generic the same. Panadol is just paracetamol . Buy the cheapest. I get Panamax 100 tabs for $1.

Lots of things are the same ingredients and packaged by the same company.

Gert

i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
Supermarket angst
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 10:18:48 am »
I can't do what Uni did with the like pic so I will say ditto ;D

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Supermarket angst
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 10:23:18 am »
 ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Supermarket angst
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 10:33:09 am »
Often generics in either food items etc or meds have the same base recipe but the filler element is not the same. They are not the same but depends if your happy with the product you buy or not.generic or not. Ive tried for example several generic meds and although the ingredients listed are the same the filler is not and they often make me sick....as much as alot is used on marketing and therefore the product is more expensive the actual two products are not identical.. There is always a difference hence them being cheaper to produce..cheaper price to the public... Comes back to the saying you get what you pay for.. Dont believe everything the media shoves down your throat on a current affair and similar shows about generic and other products being the same and do some research... Only half truths... Speel over
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
Supermarket angst
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 02:36:08 pm »
Ditto what Frozzie said.  DW tried taking Panamax years ago but it made her ill every time. The active ingredients are the same but they often use different fillers.

My big issue with all the supermarket branded goods is that they are displacing the anme brabded products often with cheap imported products. Sometimes they are made by the same manufacturer on the same line with the same products just different labels but not always.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
Supermarket angst
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 08:59:48 pm »
I have an issue with baked beans.  How on earth did they get so expensive? One of the generic ones was acceptable but is now more expensive than the name brand when not on special. If they did not take so long to cook I would make  my own ALL the time. Often it is a spur of the moment want.

Dick Smith is rolling out more advertising lately and I have been searching out and buying some of his products even though they do cost more but not all  are  equal.  Woolies are supposed to have his products but they are certainly hard to find. Coles have practically  nil here.

We all would like to support  Aussie made with Aussie contents but it ain't easy. We are only two  and I can imagine  family's would think twice about added costs .

Then again I paid $4.30 for a cup,of coffee using imported beans yesterday. Why?  I have perfectly perfect local coffee beans grown right here and roasted right here and in my house . They cost $38 a kilo. Which is not much more than premium Arabica  beans in the supermarket.  And what makes me madder is one local coffee shop recently tossed out the local,product for an  inferior bean  and still charges $4.50 for a cup of black coffee.

I was really annoyed with myself for not  waiting until I got home for my coffee. And I got sucked in to buying a crappy imported cheese which all but ruined my $100 challenge.  I could just as easily bought a crappy local made cheese  cheaper.

Frozzie is right about fillers in tablets. Sometimes they can be sodium sulfites which is a meat preserving agent among other things  and sodium hydroxide which is used in drain cleaners.  Sometimes they are made with maize starch and cellulose.

Terry Whites brand is made in India.

Panamax is made in the UK and contains : maize starch, purified talc, pregelatinised maize starch, povidone, stearic acid and potassium sorbate.

With cleaning products if the active ingredients are equal then you may as well buy the cheapest or use vinegar and elbow grease.  ;D

Can you imagine what lipstick is made with!!!

Gert

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:01:35 pm by Gertbysea »

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
Re: Supermarket angst
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 03:29:12 am »

Can you imagine what lipstick is made with!!!

Probably best to not think about it.  :o

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 03:43:39 am »
I find the generic domestos is not as good as the real thing

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 04:34:05 am »
Agree with that Yvette . 

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 04:55:07 am »
Somehow lost me post. Maybe this is the second.

Early this year  I spotted in Coles a shelf full of their smart brand Domestos for $1 a bottle, it had exactly,the same active ingredients  per volumn  as the Domestos  so I bought all on the shelf . The Domestos was over $5 a bottle. Something like $5.49 but don't trust my memory.
As an added bonus the bottles were 1.25 litres as apposed to,the Domestos 750 mls. Anyway  I bought all 10 that were there. Never saw that price or that bottle again. This  will last me several years at a saving of over $40.  I would not know the difference as I have always used the cheapie.

Now what about the price of soda water!!!!!!

Gert