Author Topic: Indian Feast  (Read 5690 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Indian Feast
« on: January 07, 2010, 04:11:46 am »
Last night I held an Indian Feast using recipes from the Indian Cooking Made Easy Book. It was a stinking hot day and by 5pm, I thought I must be nuts. I started the day before, making the spice mixes and marinating the meats.

The TMX really came into its own making Indian food. It was indispensable for grinding spices and making pastes by crushing garlic, chilli and ginge with the spices.

I didn't actually finish many dishes in the TMX as I had too many dishes to do and needed it for the prep work.

This was the menu:

Aloo Stuffing
Pumpkin Curry
Spicy Beans with Coconut
Mixed Dahl - from WW book
Beef Vindaloo
Chicken Tikka
Prawns with Chilli and Mustard Seeds - from WW book
Cucumber Raita

and for dessert, I made Mango Coconut Ice Cream from WW Indian Cookery Book.

We served ourselves and then sat outside by the pool to eat. Everyone cleaned their plates! This was a practice run for a dinner party I'm planning to hold later in the year.
Next time, I'll try to do more the day before. I ran out of time to make parathas 'cause I had to go to town to get all the ingredients and that's a 120km round trip!

I've posted reviews for each of the dishes I made from the book.

A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Feast
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 04:17:18 am »
That's a great effort MJ.  Will you do exactly the same lot of recipes for the dinner party or change some things?  Nice to try things in advance and have willing taste testers  ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 04:41:34 am »
Good work MJ - must have felt like you were in Mumbai last night - with the heat from outside as well as the food.

Sounds absolutely wonderful
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 06:03:40 am »
Well done MJ. It sounds like a good time was had by all.  Harvest must be finished. I hope the crops were good.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline boonderoostudio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 07:53:08 am »
I'm looking forward to the day I can purchase the Indian cook book. Is there a Brinjal Pickle recipe in it? Just love the menu you planned. Thanks for the info and posts 8)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 08:05:21 am »
I'm looking forward to the day I can purchase the Indian cook book. Is there a Brinjal Pickle recipe in it? Just love the menu you planned. Thanks for the info and posts 8)

Me too :( :( :(
Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 09:39:07 am »
Sounds delicious!
Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.  ~Harriet van Horne

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 10:10:59 am »
Yes, there is a Brinjal Pickle! It's a beautiful book with little Indian style pictures throughout.
That's a great effort MJ.  Will you do exactly the same lot of recipes for the dinner party or change some things?  Nice to try things in advance and have willing taste testers  ;) ;)
Yes, I will do much the same, but will make a lime pickle or a brinjal pickle and parathas next time. I might even do the Cabbage Sambhal as well.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 11:29:47 am »
very impressive Meganjane! I love reading post like this one full of information and foo! and how it was done!
Barbara