Author Topic: Does anyone have goats?  (Read 4849 times)

mcmich

Does anyone have goats?
« on: February 15, 2014, 07:55:45 am »
I was thinking that I would like to have a milking goat. Does anyone have any goats and what advice would you give a first time goat owner?

Online cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have goats?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 11:41:19 am »
I don't have goats Mich. a friend did and they ate everything they could get.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 11:50:21 am »
I've seen them ripping washing off the line in a private caravan park and eating it Michele.  I think they might be more trouble than they are worth but I could be wrong.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 12:01:01 pm »
OMG you will have to give it a little mountain to climb, and you'll get head butted, and it'll eat all your straw hats, all this for a glass of milk. I've often toyed with the idea of a couple of chooks with one of those coops that you can move around, but I think I'll just try and cadge my sisters spare eggs cos I don't like $h!t everywhere, or encourage rats and snakes. If they were let out they'd eat all our vegies. How pessimistic is that?  :-)) Why a goat mich? Do you have allergies?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 09:42:15 pm »
Our friends do, they are just up the road. they have about 12.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 09:56:37 pm »
OMG, yesterday my DD and SIL acquired 12 goats and I can tell be the picture of them they are on the way to producing more  >:( , I was over there in the morning before they arrived and she hadn't even fenced off the house garden properly,  they bought 20 acres two months ago and now have a dog, three old chooks a horse and the goats,   Fun and games , I just remembered my GS's veggie garden is in the paddock, I bet there isn't anything left of that this morning. :-\

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 10:34:52 pm »
We took 1 goat in as it's owner was moving....it went back the same day  :-))
if you do consider one Michele, make sure it's harnessed well, as they not only eat EVERYTHING in their path, they can jump and escape like an Olympian...it could become a liability.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 11:39:08 pm »
What would you do with it when you went away? 

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 11:54:08 pm »
Why don't you try a goat out for a while - contact a local breeder / farmer and see if you can "borrow"  one for a couple of weeks to see how you get on before committing to keeping one permanently.  I believe they can be more trouble than they are worth - as all the above stories say, but if you have a terrible patch of weeds / blackberries / bracken, etc. to clear, they could well be the thing for you (so long as you can control them).
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 01:42:19 am »
So McMich, still thinking of getting a goat after these comments!  I toyed with the idea of chooks too CP because we have the room, but I came to the same conclusion as you after speaking to someone who had previously had chooks.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 03:28:08 am »
DILs father brought some goats out to their property and set them loose in the bush.  What a disaster, they ate all the young trees and what they didn't eat they trampled on. 
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline flavourofthemonth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 06:45:47 am »
I've had dairy goats in the past for a number of years and loved them. I miss them even though that was 20 years ago. They are the most wonderful animal. Like a sweet dog in temperament and so smart. They are very easy to handle and very easy to train. I've had dairy goats and angora goats. Two very different animals. The angoras were more like sheep but a bit easier in that they come to you rather than needing to round them up.

If you seriously want a decent dairy goat, find a reputable dairy goat breeder. There is a lot to learn if you want to keep her in milk long term. You can buy one in milk and just start milking which will then give you many, many months to learn all there is needed to know about breeding,etc. you will need some decent fencing but a full grown lactating doe is unlikely to jump any fences. When she has kids however, well they are a whole different ballgame. They will mostly stick with mum but will also probably go jumping and leaping over all sorts of obstacles in the name of fun. They are wonderful and entertaining to watch but you will need to be very prepared and ready for them. Best of luck.

mcmich

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 02:35:46 am »
Thanks for all advice and stories.  :)

I will see if I can try one out as Cuilidh suggested. DH is not keen at all.  :(

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 10:01:17 pm »
Good luck..... And please keep us posted