Author Topic: Dinner Party Hits?  (Read 21828 times)

Offline bickie

• View Profile
Dinner Party Hits?
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:03:27 pm »
I have been having a lovely time with my Thermomix - but mainly (only) making delicious but everyday food for the family. I am having a dinner party this weekend and wondered what other members had served with a bit of wow factor that came out of the Thermomix?

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Dinner Party Hits?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:16:42 pm »
I can't help you there Bickie as I have only really cooked for the family. Although I took some dinner rolls to a friends place once and they devoured them in no time and commented on how nice they were.
I'm sure someone else will give you some ideas. Sounds like fun.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:11:08 pm »
Bickie here are a few of my favourite recipes for entertaining.

Prawn Crepes or if you are not seafood loving people you can use the Honey mustard chicken as a filling instead.

I made the Chicken & Leek Filo Pie for friends and she has made it so many times for her friends since. Use fresh filo pastry from the dairy cabinet, not the frozen variety, it is too hard to work with.

Anytime I've made Nico's Thai Chilli Chicken & Basil my guests have gone home with the recipe to make themselves.

I've made Proscuitto Rolled Chicken Breast in Cream Sauce (non-TMX) and once again it has been made by my guests for their friends on numerous occasions.  I haven't tried this recipe but by all accounts it is very good.

For a beef option, both CP and myself have cooked a standing rib of beef in the varoma following the recipe you will find here from the UK Thermomix site. A discussion about roasting meat in the varoma can be found here and if it is a meal for a very special occasion you are wanting, this certainly has the wow factor.  Our reviews, methods & photos are on page 2 of that thread.  I also made this recipe for Yorkshire Puddings to serve with mine - Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding, can't beat that.

That's my quick selection off the top of my head but others will add their favourites I'm sure.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline ANNEUK

• View Profile
    • My (infrequently updated) blog
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:15:45 pm »
Anything from The British Larder website. Weekend before last I did her cheese brûlée for starter, venison meatballs for main and blood orange panna cotta for dessert. Starter and dessert done early afternoon and into the fridge (I think they could/ should be done the day before)

The friends who came round asked me for the website address so they could do 2 of the courses this weekend for more friends of theirs!! High praise!

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 01:18:00 am »
I do ILB chocolate cake all the time, Then cut and fill with ice cream. I put 2 flavors of ice cream in. ( add crunchies, or peppermint crisp to the ice cream too.)

Always has the WOW factor.

then ice with chocolate and frozen berries on top.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

mcmich

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 05:50:55 am »
The salmon crepe torte from Teninas' For Foods Sake is delicious and would make a lovely entree and from the same book a beautiful dessert is the caramel buttercream filled sponge roll. You can't go past the sticky date pudding in the EDC.

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 10:32:49 am »
Haven't really had any dinner parties either, still got my 'L' plates. But I have 'wowed' friends with the Swedish Ice Cream Cheesecake. Make some bread rolls too - always impressive!
Melbourne, inner north

Offline bickie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 12:45:37 pm »
Thanks guys - great ideas, the British Larder site is incredible - thank you for pointing it out to me. I will definitely make some home made bread rolls as well - I have them nailed - and you're right, when you make them so often for your family, you forget that to a guest it is quite impressive to be given home made bread rolls! My cunning Plan A is to use the Thermomix to make lots of margarita's first - which should ensure whatever follows is met with enthusiastic applause and wonderment at my superior skills.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 07:27:11 pm »
Now the margaritas are a brilliant plan Bickie lol. Make sure they have a few before you feed them and the whole night will be a huge success. :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 11:53:26 pm »
I can vouch for TM Margaritas!

mcmich

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 05:51:34 am »
Thanks guys - great ideas, the British Larder site is incredible - thank you for pointing it out to me. I will definitely make some home made bread rolls as well - I have them nailed - and you're right, when you make them so often for your family, you forget that to a guest it is quite impressive to be given home made bread rolls! My cunning Plan A is to use the Thermomix to make lots of margarita's first - which should ensure whatever follows is met with enthusiastic applause and wonderment at my superior skills.
Absolutely, won't matter what you cook after a few margaritas.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 10:03:17 am »
I'm bumping this thread because I have to cook dinner for the Mr's boss and wife soon and I'm looking for some ideas to Wow them!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 10:16:29 am »
Snappy , whats your theme?

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 12:27:24 pm »
Umm no theme as such! I've got 2 kids under 5 so I don't have a lot of prep time.  Ideally, I would find some sensational dish that I can part prepare a night or two before hand and just cook it the day of.  I'm thinking of some individual golden syrup puddings for dessert and will make custard to accompany on the day.

No ideas for a main though!

Offline bickie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 11:28:56 pm »
Hi snappy, I have done a few dinner parties since posting the question - it has been quite cold over here in uk so did individual beef and Guinness pies, served with creamy horseradish mash, one time I did chicken Maryland in tandoori paste (make day before and cook on night) with raita and home made naan, and the seafood risottos are quite impressive - either the lemon and prawns one i think in dinner spinner or I did a champagne and scallop one, and seafood lasagne also has wow factor - make béchamel and instead of bolognaise - do a citrusy tomato sauce with seafood mix. good for making the day before. Hope that helps - and I stick by my stragegy of making margaritas to set the evening up perfectly!