Author Topic: Review EDC Rough Puff Pastry Page 130  (Read 2582 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Review EDC Rough Puff Pastry Page 130
« on: April 21, 2015, 04:08:15 am »
Made this rough puff pastry from EDC  as I had some leftover savoury mince to use up and no sheets of pastry in the freezer.  Never been a lover of making pastry even though the TMX makes it easy, it's the rolling which I hate. This one of course, is more difficult than short crust pastry but I managed it and was quite pleased with the results.  Using my pie maker, 2 of the pies had nice tops, 2 had spots of uncooked pastry and I used potato as the topping for the other 2, the bases of which I made from re-rolling the scraps.

The second picture is one of the pies with uncooked pieces of pastry (at the back of the first photo), it reheated OK in the air fryer and the pastry was crisp and delicious.  I doubt I'll make it again though, I do like using ready rolled pastry sheets  ;D

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Review EDC Rough Puff Pastry Page 130
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 10:03:45 am »
I rarely make puff pastry Judy. It is just too fiddly. Tenina makes one with ice and vodka, I will try that one day. Otherwise I buy sheets. I always make our short pastry but only that. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 12:18:10 pm by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 11:32:09 am »
Great effort Judy. Pastry is one thing I have never tried in the TM & one day will give it a go plus I have the added benefit that Adrian will do the rolling 😉

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 02:21:58 pm »
That would be nice Kerry.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline ANNEUK

• View Profile
    • My (infrequently updated) blog
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 04:04:45 pm »
I don't have this book, so can't comment on the recipe but just want to respond to people saying that they make short pastry but buy flaky as it's too much trouble.

Here's my method for rough puff pastry - it's close to flaky but really easy:

Take half a dozen ice cubes and some water, and whizz them to a snow on a fast speed. Set aside in a measuring jug.

Put equal quantities of butter from the fridge and flour in your now cold TMX - the bit of water in there doesn't matter. Whizz on about 5 until you can see pretty big lumps of butter. Then make up your ice to the amount of water it says in the recipe. Add that to butter/flour mix, and mix on 4/5. Stop while you still have a lumpy mess and turn it out onto a board. Squash it together with your hands, but mainly with the rolling pin.

Now you start doing that turning the pastry in thirds thing. I find the pastry is so cold that I can do it about 10 times, and it's still cold/firm. Then wrap in cling film and rest it for about half an hour if you can.

That's it - a bit of mixing in the TMX, a bit of rolling out, a bit of resting and it's done.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 04:53:58 pm »
Thanks Anne for the pastry making tip to make successful rough puff. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 12:19:44 pm »
Thanks Anne. I may give it a try next time I need some puff pastry.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/