Author Topic: Trotters  (Read 8033 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Trotters
« on: October 03, 2010, 02:54:14 pm »
Has anyone ever cooked/eaten trotters?  Would you recommend them with a specific recipe?

My free range butcher is selling them now, and I'm wondering whether to be adventurous and try them, or whether to stick to my original reaction of Eeeew  ;D
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Re: Trotters
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 05:22:26 pm »
Lol I have to say I think eeeeeewwwww  :D sorry Caroline but go for it just as long as I don't have to try them............. :-X
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 01:20:57 am »
I've never tried them either Carolyn but if you cooked them I would try them  ;) ;)
I'm sure either Gretchen, Thermomixer or Chookie have tried them -  one at least may have something to say about them when they read this posting.  Good luck.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 01:40:42 am »
Sorry girls,  I love trotters.   Use them mostly to add to other meats when making brawn or potted meat.   They produce a beautiful gel but not a lot of meat.  Stephanie Alexander used to bone out the skin,  (left whole) and stuff them.   

Online cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 10:09:49 am »
Mum used to use them to make brawn. Yek :P
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 12:36:15 am »
Trotters? Do I hear trotters? Oh boy trot them right up here. Oink oink oink. Piggy heaven. I lurve  trotters.  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline whisks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 05:38:49 am »
love trotters as long as they are cooked by someone who knows what they are doing. full of collagen and anti wrinkle properties as a bonus.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 10:20:31 am »
Don't tell my Dad!!! My parents are German and my Dad's favourite dish of all time is called Eisbein which is literally pickled pigs trotters. If he ever goes to Europe for a holiday, it is the first thing he orders on the menu. Don't ask me how to cook them- I believe it means a lot of slow cooking which our thermies aren't designed for but I can tell you I have eaten some of his pork trotters occasionally and whilst they might sound awful at first hand, they taste absolutely delicious, especially if you add in some sauerkraut or rotkohl (red cabbage) and Kloesse (potato dumplings).
Actually whilst I am at it, does Gretchen (Gertbysea) have a specific recipe for Kloesse for the thermomix???? I have already made Kartoffelpuffer (potato pancakes) with Apfelmuss (apple sauce) which my kids loved but I would love to know if you can do the dumplings in the varoma or are they better to make the standard way??
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 09:33:52 pm »
Trotters? Do I hear trotters? Oh boy trot them right up here. Oink oink oink. Piggy heaven. I lurve  trotters.  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Gert

;D  Do you have any recipes which you're recommend, Gert?
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 04:27:21 am »
I love trotters.  Slow cooked in some stock on the stove top and then cooled and crumbed with eg & breadcrumbs and shallow fried.

I do bone them out & stuff with other things such as mushrooms, chicken mince, truffles.

Italians make zampone, which is the trotter stuffed with sausage type mince.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 05:47:02 am »
Thermomixer,  these all sound yummy. ;D ;D ;D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 07:57:35 am »
Sorry Caroline W I missed your request as I had visitors and was away from the forum. Ummm. No I'don't have a recipe that would work in the TMX. I really think if you are going to the trouble that slow low cooking is best. Can't see it working in the TMX but perhaps someone else has an idea. Maybe on the German website?

Gretch
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 05:00:13 pm »
Thanks Gert.  I had no idea how they were cooked, so I didn't realise they'd need slow cooking when I first asked.  I'm now assuming that they're a slow cooker meal, which is fine.  That's my other very used cooking implement  :).

I like the sound of your recipes, Thermomixer.  How do you bone them - is it difficult?

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 12:50:41 am »
Boning is difficult if you do it while raw, but easier once cooked, but then it is harder to stuff them!

I just like crumbing after cooked and you use fingers to hold and chew on the bones.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 11:34:27 am »
Thermomixer,  this is what my Mum did.   As kids we just looked on with interest while she licked her fingers.