Author Topic: Gluten free pizza dough  (Read 13495 times)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Gluten free pizza dough
« on: September 10, 2010, 04:45:26 am »
Can anyone please help me with a fairly foolproof way of doing gluten free pizza dough in the TM? I am used to mixing dough in my kitchen aid mixer and being a new TM owner and also coeliac I want to know if there is a way of converting this to the thermomix, particularly as I have young children and we love to make our own pizzas and toppings. 
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Gluten free pizza dough
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 04:47:10 am »
merlin, have you seen the Pizza Dough recipe on p111 of EDC? Maybe you could convert your recipe using this as a guide?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 04:52:19 am »
Thanks for the info. Will try. I guess the beauty of having such a great machine is that we get to experiment with all kinds of things and it is all part of the fun if we stuff it up!!!!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 06:00:45 am »
Thanks for the info. Will try. I guess the beauty of having such a great machine is that we get to experiment with all kinds of things and it is all part of the fun if we stuff it up!!!!
Do you use a premix in the KA Merlin? What is the recipe you use at the moment?
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 06:10:13 am »
Yes, I either use the Woolworths Freefrom Pizza dough mix or make my own with GF plain flour/ yeast etc. I have tried my normal ratios of flour/water etc in the TM and it doesn't seem to work as well. I thought somebody might have a more reliable recipe using particular quanitities of flour/water/yeast etc. The GF plain flour mix I use is just one of the commercial ones eg White Wings or FG Roberts etc.
Albert Einstein

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 04:26:24 pm »
Strange that is doesn't work in the tm but does in the ka. Are you combining on 6 for 5-10 sec and kneading for 1-2 mins? What isn't working? Is it sticky or crumbly? Have you converted the measurements to weights in the tm? If so make sure you are still using teaspoons or tablespoons as the scales aren't precise enough for really small quantities like tea spoons.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Depome

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 05:33:51 am »
Merlin, my disclaimer is that I've never made a GF pizza base, and certainly not therefore in the TMX. However, I have found that I need to use less water when I make any doughs in the TMX as the blades contribute to so much more mess to clean up! My base recipes are Panasonic breadmaker recipes, which are pretty darn good, but aren't designed to be handled of course. So when I first got my TMX I said 'great, I'll make my usual pizza dough in the TMX instead, and my bread recipe' but it just didn't work out right. They are too wet, and that means a fairly sticky mess to remove from the blades etc in the TMX.

You can't really overwork your pizza dough in the TMX, since any extra working that it gets probably negates the need to rest it. So try adding half the quantity of water, then drizzle the rest in slowly until you like the look of the dough, IF 'too moist' is your problem.

Offline ~ - Jules - ~

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 07:39:07 am »
I've made this in the thermomix before http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/2007/07/18/gf-wrap-sandwich-success/ (never 100% perfected the conversion hence not posting it), but aside from being really tasty as a "bread" it makes a brilliant pizza base

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 12:31:39 pm »
Thanks Jules, I was just about to look this up to link it.
I've made this in the thermomix before http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/2007/07/18/gf-wrap-sandwich-success/ (never 100% perfected the conversion hence not posting it), but aside from being really tasty as a "bread" it makes a brilliant pizza base

Merlin, I've made this before and it's lovely. Keep planning to make some GF Pizza bases out of it, but haven't gotten there yet. But it would be lovely. Bake it first of course, then add your pizza topping  ;)
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog