Author Topic: Bhoona Gosht  (Read 8263 times)

Offline baf65

• View Profile
Bhoona Gosht
« on: September 22, 2009, 10:40:38 am »
One of my consultant friends emailed me this one out of the new Indian cookbook, hope its okay to post it!  Haven't tried it myself yet.

Lamb Curry with Peppers—Bhoona Gosht

Bhoona is a traditional cooking method in which the liquid for a sauce is added in small amounts
repeatedly so the spices are very well cooked and the sauce thickens. It is generally a long process that
requires time and patience but with your Thermomix, the process is simplified, and yet achieves the same
results with less effort and more speed. Serve with rice or naan, or as an accompaniment to dahl and rice.

Serves 4.
Ingredients
3 fat garlic cloves, peeled
20g ginger, sliced in 2mm thick ‘coins’ along the lines on the skin
1 medium onion, about 100g, peeled and quartered
30g vegetable oil
1/2 tsp ground chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric (haldi)
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp garam masala plus 1/2 tsp extra
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
130g fresh tomato, diced into 1cm pieces
450g lamb shoulder or leg meat, cut into 2cm pieces
130g water
80g sweet green pepper, weighed after removing stalk and seeds, diced into 1cm pieces

Method
Please note—speed spoon = speed soft
1. Mince the garlic, ginger and onion 5 seconds/Speed 7. Add the oil and sauté 8 minutes/Varoma
Temperature/Speed 1.
2. Add chilli powder, turmeric, salt, the 1 tsp garam masala and the black pepper. Scrape down the
sides of the TM bowl with the spatula. Cook 8 minutes/Varoma Temperature/Speed Spoon.
3. Add tomato pieces and cook for a further 10 minutes/Varoma Temperature/Speed Spoon.see Thermomixer's comment below
4. Add meat and water. Push meat under the surface with the spatula to coat it with the spicy liquid.
Cook 20 minutes/Varoma Temperature/Speed Spoon/Reverse Blade Direction. see Thermomixer's comment below
5. Add the green pepper pieces and cook for a further 5 minutes/90ºC/Speed Spoon/Reverse Blade
Direction. At this point, your meat should be tender, but if not, you can cook for a further 10
minutes/90ºC/Speed Spoon/Reverse Blade Direction or longer until tender.
6. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 tsp garam masala over the top and stir in before serving.

members' comments

Hannah - This is quite "hot" - similar to a vindaloo my son cooked a few weeks ago and which probably wouldn't be appreciated by my 88 year old father! The dish was very thick after cooking the lamb for 20 minutes on Varoma trmperature - I think all the water was running down the inside of my windows!- so I added a bit more water with the green pepper and cooked for 15 minutes.
When I tipped it out I found quite a large burnt spot on the bottom of the TMX (still to be cleaned off) so would probably reduce the temperature to 100o after adding the meat and water if I did it again. If you like hot curries, I think you will like this. I prefer sweeter curries with both meat and vegetable so will possibly try something different next time.

Thermomixer - Thanks Hannah (Barb) - great to have a review.  It would be an idea to try at 90oC at step 4 IMHO.  Think that even 100oC might be more than needed after the spices and tomato have been cooked out.

Gralke - I made this with different meat - delicious!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:04:54 am by judydawn »

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
Re: Bhoona Gosht
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 11:30:50 am »
Thank you this recipe!!!
Regards
Barbara
Barbara

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 04:09:29 pm »
Guess as long as we don't go posting too many of them - otherwise.....
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 01:49:55 am »
That would probably come under the 'behave yourselves' banner but surely a few recipes would whet the appetite and then people would buy the book themselves.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 12:05:50 pm »
well i figured they put this one in their own consultants newsletter, so its sort of 'legal'!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 05:58:02 am »
Baf, it's nearly lunch time and with recipes like this I am nearly licking the screen. :P :P  I've just written it down to try next week.
I have ordered the book so can't wait until I pick it up from my nice adopted demostrator Kathryn.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 09:13:13 am »
I have just cooked this. I thought we might have it tonight for tea but it is quite "hot" - similar to a vindaloo my son cooked a few weeks ago and which probably wouldn't be appreciated by my 88 year old father! The dish was very thick after cooking the lamb for 20 minutes on Varoma trmperature - I think all the water was running down the inside of my windows!- so I added a bit more water with the green pepper and cooked for 15 minutes.

When I tipped it out I found quite a large burnt spot on the bottom of the TMX (still to be cleaned off) so would probably reduce the temperature to 100 after adding the meat and water if I did it again. If you like hot curries, I think you will like this. I prefer sweeter curries with both meat and vegetable so will possibly try something different next time.
Barb from Aldgate, South Australia

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 10:16:30 am »
Thanks Hannah (Barb) - great to have a review.  It would be an idea to try at 90oC at step 4 IMHO.  Think that even 100oC might be more than needed after the spices and tomato have been cooked out.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 08:47:59 pm »
I made this last week with different Meat - delicious!

Barbara

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 02:40:17 am »
Good work Gralke - great to have pics  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia