Author Topic: Fricasse Chicken  (Read 10935 times)

Offline willmac

• View Profile
Fricasse Chicken
« on: January 06, 2010, 12:20:32 am »
As a child my mum use to make this all the time so last night I tried it in the TM and it cooked perfect, I could never make the sauce without lumps now I can

Name of Recipe: Fricasse Chicken
Number of People: 4 with rice
Ingredients:
1 BBQ chicken
Bechamel sauce from EDC
seasoning
Chiken stock

Preparation:
Make the bechamel sauce from EDC but use half the milk and half chicken stock, cook as per recipe
Add chicken and cook for 15mins on temp 100  :-: and on  ^^
Serve with rice
My husband thought made this way was the best I have ever made it.

members' comments

Caroline J - Made this but found by the time I had added a load of vegies and the chicken, I wished I had made a double batch of the sauce.  Will do that next time. The kids wolfed this down but I would probably add onion and garlic next time for a bit more oomph for the adults. Thanks for the recipe- a quick one that's perfect for the kids.

I have also added vegies, garlic and onion to this and use it as a pie filling.  It's YUMMY!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:08:58 am by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Fricasse Chicken
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 01:08:29 am »
Good work - it is great not having to worry about lumps  :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 04:25:54 am »
I do a fricasee using fresh chicken breasts & has broad beans, carrots and potato slices in it & was wondering how to convert it for the TMX.  I think I would steam the potatoes & chicken separately (or leave the potatoes out altogether if serving on rice) then the frozen beans and carrots could be added to the bechamel sauce with the chicken.  Nice one willmac, thanks for posting and giving me another idea.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 11:32:54 am »
My mum used to make a similar chicken fricassee using cooked chicken, boned, and a bechamel made up with the chicken broth and a little curry powder. I usually serve it with plain rice and fried bananas. Tried to make it in the TM but the flesh of the cooked chicken ends up all in little bits, so not so good. The Portuguese however make a totally different "Fricassee", made out of raw chicken, cut in little pieces, stewed and then the chicken is removed from the pot and a sauce is made with raw egg yolks and lemon sauce. Delicious. I made it once in the TM and it worked out ok. I will make it again and if I am satisfied I will post a recipe with photo.
Anyway, now to my question: what is a BBQ chicken??? Please...
Barbara

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 12:08:33 pm »
Barbara, here in Australia we can buy a barbecue chicken already cooked in take-away food places. So a BBQ chicken means one that has already been cooked, roasted preferably but in this recipe you could also use a steamed chicken.

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 12:46:06 pm »
Now I know - here in Portugal you can also buy them either in the supermarket or in a bbq take away (very common here and unexpensive - one chicken (no fries) €4,00- grilled on real charcoal).
Thanks Judy :-*

p.s. had to revise que price its 4 euros and not 400 euros(LLLOLL)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:25:28 am by Gralke »
Barbara

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 01:50:41 am »
My mum used to make a similar chicken fricassee using cooked chicken, boned, and a bechamel made up with the chicken broth and a little curry powder. I usually serve it with plain rice and fried bananas. Tried to make it in the TM but the flesh of the cooked chicken ends up all in little bits, so not so good. The Portuguese however make a totally different "Fricassee", made out of raw chicken, cut in little pieces, stewed and then the chicken is removed from the pot and a sauce is made with raw egg yolks and lemon sauce. Delicious. I made it once in the TM and it worked out ok. I will make it again and if I am satisfied I will post a recipe with photo.
Anyway, now to my question: what is a BBQ chicken??? Please...

Barbara, your recipe sounds like the one I converted from my very close family friend.   It is easy and delicious.

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2117.0

It's a great way of using a bbq chicken to feed a lot of people.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline willmac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 02:26:51 am »
I work as a nightfiller at coles, usually near the end of trade at night they reduce the price of BBQ chicken to $3.00 so I always buy a few,  strip the meat from them and then freeze ready for a quick dinner, or great on pizza. Now I know how easy my fricasse chicken is with the TM will become on the dinner menu more regularly.

Kay

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 06:17:44 am »
A great comment from you DH Willmac.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 12:19:21 pm »
If anyone is needing to be very frugal, a great tip we got from Janie at the UK HQ on beating the credit crunch was to get chicken carcasses from the local butcher, which are free as they need to pay to get rid of them.  Roast them in the oven, then take off the chicken meat which was left on the carcasses and use it in a chicken fricassee. 

I've done this a couple of times - it's surprising how much meat is left on, as they're just taking off the joints that everyone wants to buy, and not trying to use up every bit of meat on the bird. 
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 12:30:33 pm »
Hi CarolineW, not long to go now  ;) ;)   I use these for chicken stock and yes, there is still plenty of meat to make soup but I doubt any butcher would give them away for nothing here.  We get around 3 for $1.25 or more.   I asked in the local supermarket the other day if I could have some outside lettuce leaves (which they throw into a bin) for my GD's guinea pigs and they told me it was against health regulations to give it away. In fact there is a sign in the shop by the lettuces which says that. Then, in the next breath he told me they send it away and fertilizer gets made from it.  My retort was, 'so it is more about making money than health issues' - he stuttered a bit then agreed with me.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 11:19:32 pm »
Yes, we don't get them for free, but they do have lots of meat left by some butchers.

It is surprising how well some butchers can joint/break up the carcass and others just slash
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 01:16:15 pm »
Made this tonight, but found by the time I had added a load of vegies and the chicken, I wished I had made a double batch of the sauce.  Will do that next time. 

The kids wolfed this down, but I would probably add onion and garlic next time for a bit more oomph for the adults.

Thanks for the recipe- a quick one that's perfect for the kids  ;D

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 11:36:08 am »
I add vegies, garlic and onion to this, and use it as a pie filling.  It's YUMMY!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 01:21:49 am »
Great idea - good thinking.
Thermomixer in Australia