Author Topic: I'm new  (Read 19418 times)

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
Re: I'm new
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2011, 01:53:18 pm »

Anyway, of course I have a good panforte recipe but I'm not sure if I have one using our beloved tmx. Anyway I will have a look and I will let you know.

Many thanks.  I make panforte for Christmas every year adding a dose of local ingredients (macadamia nuts and ginger amongst these :)) but I'd love to hear what you would put in a panforte...

Unfortunately my husband, like most of Italians, can take his holidays only in August which is the worst time to go anywhere..  :-\

Yes most europeans end up on holidays and on the road in July or August:  I don't miss the traffic jam on the way to the south of France!  Bedidassi and Frozzie enjoy the long summer days - 10 degrees here today and dark at 17.30 :-\

Then you cannot imagine how lucky you are. I do hate hot weather but I like cold, rainy winter days. I guess it is my English influence.. ;)
About the panforte, no macadamia in there, no way. Only the following ingredients:
Sugar, water, orange and citron candies (but I'm not sure candies is the right name), almonds, nutmeg, cinnamon, honey and  vanillin. I can have a look if I can find the recipe for tmx but to be honest, at Christmas time I do 6 or 7 panforti but without any help...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:07:38 pm by Bedidassi »

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 02:02:21 pm »
oh i love hte heat but im just not getting it..very very few days this summer and even all the vegie gardens and fruit trees just dont seem to be growing anything much around at the moment (the fault of this eradic weather)

bedidassi maybe you need to move further north...brrrrr  Ive been north and Im not going back...brrrr way too cold for me

and the macadamias are an aussie addition!!...the citrus candies people will understand.. just the other way around so back to front for you..candied lemon, candied orange peel etc  Is the traditional recipe with almonds only and how far in advance to you make it..ive heard it keeps for up to three months??
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2011, 02:13:49 pm »
oh i love hte heat but im just not getting it..very very few days this summer and even all the vegie gardens and fruit trees just dont seem to be growing anything much around at the moment (the fault of this eradic weather)

bedidassi maybe you need to move further north...brrrrr  Ive been north and Im not going back...brrrr way too cold for me

and the macadamias are an aussie addition!!...the citrus candies people will understand.. just the other way around so back to front for you..candied lemon, candied orange peel etc  Is the traditional recipe with almonds only and how far in advance to you make it..ive heard it keeps for up to three months??

Thanks again. Then candied and then the fruit name... Yes, the traditional recipe is only with almonds and it is better to cook it a week before for the aroma which will get better.. It keeps maybe even more than 3 months, but the panforte homemade it's not like the one you buy and after a while tends to dry a little, but do not worry. Unless you made 6 or 7 panforti all for you (I give them as presents) then you wont even the problem of how long you keep it, trust me!
And to think of Christmas, what about Ricciarelli? Never heard of them? They are musts for Christmas!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2011, 03:06:39 pm »
nope never heard of ricciarelli but im sure DH has..mmm just googled them and they look yummy..are they dry like biscotti or a softer biscuit...you will have to post your traditional recipe for those!!  :)

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2011, 03:18:31 pm »
nope never heard of ricciarelli but im sure DH has..mmm just googled them and they look yummy..are they dry like biscotti or a softer biscuit...you will have to post your traditional recipe for those!!  :)

They are sort of dry on the outside and inside they are softer, made only with almonds, egg whites and sugar...they are delicious! :P

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2011, 03:27:25 pm »
so basically they are a version of macarons?

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2011, 09:59:31 pm »
so basically they are a version of macarons?

Nothing to do with macarons even if the ingredients are the same. When I will be back I will post the recipe.. :-* :-* :-*

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2011, 10:05:36 pm »
Carine Tenina posted a recipe on her blog here...would be interesting though to see what Bedidassi's recipe is!!  Bedidassi maybe you could use Teninas converted recipe as a guide!  Also saw one with exotic flavours..would be interesting  :)  Yes bastardising again  :-\

I had a look at the recipe and it sounds nice but not the panforte, at least not the Italian one. We could call it  fusion panforte maybe  ;)
For some recipes (the first written recipe of panforte was made on the year 1000), I'm terribly conservative...  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2011, 12:49:59 am »
Bedidassi I'm terribly conservative with a few French recipes too, especially my family recipes  ;)  It probably comes from growing up with a certain food culture and expecting food belonging to that culture to retain its original taste.  It's important to keep a few traditions going but I don't mind experimenting.

To get back to the panforte, are chocolate and pistachios a more modern addition?
My boys love pistachios and I always add them to my panforti at Christmas time.  This morning my sons left for school with some pistachio biscotti.  Biscotti disappear pretty quickly in our house!

Ricciarelli:  have heard of it but never tasted one-  sounds delicious!  So many tasty morsels to try!!!
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2011, 02:54:18 pm »
Bedidassi I'm terribly conservative with a few French recipes too, especially my family recipes  ;)  It probably comes from growing up with a certain food culture and expecting food belonging to that culture to retain its original taste.  It's important to keep a few traditions going but I don't mind experimenting.

To get back to the panforte, are chocolate and pistachios a more modern addition?
My boys love pistachios and I always add them to my panforti at Christmas time.  This morning my sons left for school with some pistachio biscotti.  Biscotti disappear pretty quickly in our house!

Ricciarelli:  have heard of it but never tasted one-  sounds delicious!  So many tasty morsels to try!!!

You have spoken with my words Carine. I like to experiment too and I absolutely love ethnic food but I'm pretty conservative about some very traditional recipes, especially when they come from my family tradition and when they are more than 1 thousand years old .Panforte with chocolate or pistachio will be surely a delicious cake  but it will not definitely be a Panforte. Done with that,  I think everybody who is willing to try can make as many version as possible but I prefer to experiment on something else  ;)
When iwill come back from France I will post the Ricciarelli recipe as well. I know Christmas is still far away, but it's better to get ready, right?   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2011, 03:12:34 pm »
Ok. We are approaching the French border so after that I won't be able to use my phone connection anymore because the roaming price is crazy. If I fill find a wifi spot, I'll get back to you, otherwise have a nice summer, take care  and "see" you soon
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2011, 05:23:39 pm »
Frozzie, i'm cooooooooooooooooooming"............ :D :D :D

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2011, 08:42:30 pm »
lol heres hoping you get to a wifi spot more than 1m2  :D :D :D and happy travels..!

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2011, 11:31:01 pm »
 :D Have a great holiday on la Cote d'Azur Bedidassi!
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2011, 08:41:13 am »
First wifi spot spotted ;D. I have been eating since I got here.  :-)) gratin dauphnois, panisse, tart a la tropezienne, lots of cheeses, salmon tartare, croissants, baguettes, some Italian and Vietnamese here and there.... 10 kg. in 10 days, I'm afraid. When I will get home I'll fast for a month and then I'll start looking for French recipes  ;D Carine first and Frozzie now, how have you managed to live here and not become absolute whales?
But never mind. I will have time for worries later. Now I have to eat!
See you at the next wifi.....  :-* :-* :-* :-*