Author Topic: I'm new  (Read 19418 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: I'm new
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 08:28:49 pm »
Welcome, Bedidassi, it looks like everyone is eagerly awaiting your recipes.  I live in Australia but we go to Cremona in Lombardy every year or so on business, so not too far away from you I think.  I see that you have already posted quite a few recipes.  Many thanks - I am sure we will all enjoy our Italian feasts!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 10:05:00 pm »
Welcome, Bedidassi, it looks like everyone is eagerly awaiting your recipes.  I live in Australia but we go to Cremona in Lombardy every year or so on business, so not too far away from you I think.  I see that you have already posted quite a few recipes.  Many thanks - I am sure we will all enjoy our Italian feasts!

Cremona is about 200 km from Pisa, I suppose, but for you Australians 200 km are nothing, right? I remember driving for hours in your beautiful country... :-*

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 11:02:03 pm »
haha yes very aussie...distance is never alot but to the French anyway 20kms is far away yet alone 200!!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 12:13:11 am »
We recently had a friend visiting from Luxembourg and he said that even the other side of the city was a long way to go for the local people!!  You do get used to long distances here in Australia
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 08:24:15 am »
haha yes very aussie...distance is never alot but to the French anyway 20kms is far away yet alone 200!!

You know, there is something you should consider about Europe and especially Italy: forget, and who has been there knows I'm telling the truth, your big city streets, your infinite outdoor. In Italy everywhere is jammed, houses everywhere, sometime 10 mt. large streets and even to move from a city to the other the freeway if often jammed and always slow... To go from Pisa to Florence which are not even a 100 km. apart, the only way is to use is a highway which is only about 20 years old but that at the opening it was already full of holes and when it's raining you risk your life because it's just a swimming pool. This because, as almost everything in Italy, corruption and bribery are running deep and who had to build the highway presented a project and then used a different one who made possible to gain more money using cheaper materials and that's the result. Endless works that slow the cars and to drive for a hundred km. it can take from 1 and half hour to 3 hours, it depends on the weather and on how many working sites are open. That's why we don't love so much driving  >:(

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 08:36:58 am »
That is horrible Bedidassi...didnt realise the corruption problems went down to the state of the roads also...thats a huge pain!  Luckily in France the roads are in great condition but we certainly pay through the nose for them..mega tolls  :-))  Still the locals dont travel far and find yes that even the other side of the city is a fair distance to go and tend to not travel that far... I think in oz because all the main cities are so far apart not to mention the actual size of oz most aussies are used to travelling long distances to go anywhere so dont flinch at how long it will take to get somewhere  :)

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 08:52:12 am »
That is horrible Bedidassi...didnt realise the corruption problems went down to the state of the roads also...thats a huge pain!  Luckily in France the roads are in great condition but we certainly pay through the nose for them..mega tolls  :-))  Still the locals dont travel far and find yes that even the other side of the city is a fair distance to go and tend to not travel that far... I think in oz because all the main cities are so far apart not to mention the actual size of oz most aussies are used to travelling long distances to go anywhere so dont flinch at how long it will take to get somewhere  :)

I know french roads and I know very well the mega mega tolls but the French system works so that's ok to me. So let me understand: you are living in France for good? I'm leaving for France on Friday, I think. We are going to the south but we intend to move around although in august  you have some problem too because I remember very well a trip from Montecarlo to St. Tropez which took almost 8 hours... :-\

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 09:00:15 am »
yes I am aussie born but live in France permanently Bedidassi..my DH and DD and DS are french (well the kids are dual nationality but know only France except oz on holidays)  yes the south east of france in summer ie mainly august is a killer due to the population of france heading down their for their holidays and we avoid that area in the school break...never been there at those times but hear all the time on the news of the hours of blocked traffic ie takes hours to get 10kms at some places from provence right along the SE coast which im sure you are well aware.  I imagine it will be calmer this year though as alot of people we know arent going away and I know that there are alot of cheap deals on accom down south due to them not filling hotels/apartments etc (that due to the crappy weather i imagine).  We live in Tourraine (Tours)... you will have to let me kow where you are planning on travelling to...do you travel to France often?  :)

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 10:26:30 am »
yes I am aussie born but live in France permanently Bedidassi..my DH and DD and DS are french (well the kids are dual nationality but know only France except oz on holidays)  yes the south east of france in summer ie mainly august is a killer due to the population of france heading down their for their holidays and we avoid that area in the school break...never been there at those times but hear all the time on the news of the hours of blocked traffic ie takes hours to get 10kms at some places from provence right along the SE coast which im sure you are well aware.  I imagine it will be calmer this year though as alot of people we know arent going away and I know that there are alot of cheap deals on accom down south due to them not filling hotels/apartments etc (that due to the crappy weather i imagine).  We live in Tourraine (Tours)... you will have to let me kow where you are planning on travelling to...do you travel to France often?  :)

Unfortunately my husband, like most of Italians, can take his holidays only in August which is the worst time to go anywhere..  :-\
I will let you know exactly when we will arrive in France but we have decided that this summer we will only travel by train because of the horrible esperience of last year and so we won't be able to go very far from where we stay because my husband wants to relax and to sleep every night at home. We still have to check the possible destinations by train but we have already decided that we will go for a two day trip to Marseille.. Ehi, wait a minute, what did you say about crappy weather? :o :o :o
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 10:29:49 am by Bedidassi »

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 11:13:13 am »
Bedidassi we were just down in the south west and the weather was lovely but the week prior was horrible cool and very wet...just check out the weather where your heading for that week  :)

Offline Bedidassi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 11:24:05 am »
Bedidassi we were just down in the south west and the weather was lovely but the week prior was horrible cool and very wet...just check out the weather where your heading for that week  :)

Ok. Thanks a lot Frozzie. I will get back to you when we will have decided the departure date, anyway it's not a long journey, thats why we can leave when we prefer. Viareggio>Montecarlo takes less than 3 hours..  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 12:43:42 pm »

Anyway, of course I have a good panforte recipe but I'm not sure if I have one using our beloved tmx. Anyway I will have a look and I will let you know.

Many thanks.  I make panforte for Christmas every year adding a dose of local ingredients (macadamia nuts and ginger amongst these :)) but I'd love to hear what you would put in a panforte...

Unfortunately my husband, like most of Italians, can take his holidays only in August which is the worst time to go anywhere..  :-\

Yes most europeans end up on holidays and on the road in July or August:  I don't miss the traffic jam on the way to the south of France!  Bedidassi and Frozzie enjoy the long summer days - 10 degrees here today and dark at 17.30 :-\

Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2011, 01:03:37 pm »
Carine Tenina posted a recipe on her blog here...would be interesting though to see what Bedidassi's recipe is!!  Bedidassi maybe you could use Teninas converted recipe as a guide!  Also saw one with exotic flavours..would be interesting  :)  Yes bastardising again  :-\

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 01:06:26 pm »
Carine Tenina posted a recipe on her blog here...would be interesting though to see what Bedidassi's recipe is!!  Bedidassi maybe you could use Teninas converted recipe as a guide!  Also saw one with exotic flavours..would be interesting  :)  Yes bastardising again  :-\

Not bastardising:  reinventing and experimenting with new flavours  :D
Will have to check Tenina's version:  thanks!
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 01:24:55 pm »
 :)  the recipe used preserved lemon in place of the orange and also papaya, ginger and apricot mmmm  will have to make it and try it out  :)