Author Topic: Problems making tomato paste and bread  (Read 6139 times)

Offline dgg9879

• View Profile
Problems making tomato paste and bread
« on: August 21, 2009, 02:59:03 pm »

I've had my Thermomix a few weeks and successfully made soups, dips, bread rolls, rice pudding etc. I've really enjoyed using it.

BREAD

Recently tried to make the basic bread recipe using Kamut flour which is low GI and supposedly good for baking. Left out the oil to be healthier. Kneaded with Thermomix on interval setting (the one before number 1?). I used a dehydrator to rise the bread for 30 min. Not sure if it actually rose that much. The bread didn't rise in the oven. I felt the recipe seemed to have a lot of flour relative to water, compared to when I used to make it in a breadmaker.

Does the Thermomix basic bread recipe normally work? Should I do the same again with more water? Should it work if I use a different bread recipe that I know worked in the bread maker?

TOMATO PASTE

Not sure how to de-seed a tomato. How would I do this?

What brand/type of glass jar would be best?

Would I be better off sterilising the tompato paste in the jar in my pressure cooking than boiling the jar in water in a saucepan on the stove?

Can you normally re-use the lid of the jar after you've consumed the tomato paste?

I bought a sterilising jar and after reading the instructions realize it says you need to buy a new lid everytime you use it and I don't think the store sells the lids.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Problems making tomato paste and bread
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 03:24:21 pm »
The bread recipes should work.   The interval setting is - put the dial to  *: closed lid with no speed and then  :: over below the  :-: reverse button - just push the button after setting the dial to the  *: closed lid position.   Was the water tepid - not too hot?  Not sure -who is your consultant - they may be best to also help.

Tomato paste - to peel - pour boiling water over tomatoes in a bowl and leave 2 minutes then drain and put into cold, icy water - the skin should come away easily.  Don't throw the skins away though - reserve.

To deseed - easiest to cut them in half - across the equator and then remove the seeds with a teaspoon.

Put the seeds and skins into the TMX and cook for 20 - 30 minutes at 90oC on Speed 1.  Then blitz this on Speed 9 for 20 seconds - make sure the MC is in place and cover with a cloth also.  Strain this mix - this is where most of the glutamates are in tomatoes - so all the best flavour.

Clean the bowl and then place your tomato flesh and drained juice and cook that.  Not sure about the time, but best on Varoma temp at speed 3 or 4 to help it to thicken and concentrate.

Hope that helps
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Problems making tomato paste and bread
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 03:23:15 am »
Wow thanks for the tomato paste recipe Thermomixer.  Must keep an eye out for cheap tomatoes this summer and give it a go.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.