Author Topic: Help Needed from A-Z for Grains/Flours  (Read 10906 times)

Offline Mom2three

• View Profile
Help Needed from A-Z for Grains/Flours
« on: August 03, 2009, 09:07:53 am »
Bimby Arrived today! We are in the midst of moving so not sure whether we'll try her yet or wait till we move.

Anyhoo, am a complete & utter newbie when it comes to grains, so can some please help with the following q's?

1. How to store the grain in bulk & also in smaller quantities (i.e. 1 or 5kg & 25-30kg)

2. How to mill the grain in the thermomix, as there is nothing in the recipe book  ???

3. Can I replace the Bakers Flour in the recipes to some sort of grain? I would prefer to use fresher ingrediants

Thanks everyone xxx

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
Re: Help Needed from A-Z for Grains/Flours
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 12:02:34 pm »
Hi Mum2three,
Here's my feeback:

1. How to store the grain in bulk & also in smaller quantities (i.e. 1 or 5kg & 25-30kg)
The maximum I store in is 5kg and have the largest tupperware modular mates which holds 5kg of flour.  Some hospitality supply outlets sell larger containers (ie Campbells Cash & Carry etc) that would probably hold maybe up to 20kg.

2. How to mill the grain in the thermomix, as there is nothing in the recipe book  ???
In your cookbook you should have a Summary Table for Basic Functions to sit on the fridge and it should also be printed in the front part of the book.  Milling grains can take anywhere between 20seconds to 2 mins on speed 9-10.

3. Can I replace the Bakers Flour in the recipes to some sort of grain? I would prefer to use fresher ingrediants
Im not sure about this one - there are others on the forum who could answer this better as I use a combination and havent tried all freshly milled grains.

Good luck when you get started - and good luck with the move!!
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 02:00:41 pm »
I don't think the thermomix can mill finely enough to completely replace bakers flour and general cooking flours.  Just my opinion though.  I try to mill as much as I can, but find that many recipes are gritty without some bought flour (and some just don't work).  Some grains are very difficult to mill finely and you end up bringing it to temperature trying (and spoiling the grains nutrients).
Chelsea  :) 

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 11:25:16 pm »
I'm only a very very new user.  The first time I milled grain it was great but it was for vegie fritters.  I did it again yesterday for a cake and couldn't get it fine enough so the cake has a crunch!  So I agree with Chelsea, it's dependant on what you are making.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 05:16:44 am »
yes i have to agree - i'm happy to mill some o fthe flour for a recipe, but not all of it.
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 01:18:06 pm »
Hi again Mum2three,

I was just having another think about your milling grain questions and wanted to add a bit more to my answer.

There are some really nice recipes in the tmx cookbooks which involve you milling your own grains (particularly the gluten free and vegetarian ones).  Perhaps these would be a good starting point for you and then you could figure out what could work when you are converting your own recipes.  Some of these recipes from the cookbooks that involve milling include Brown Rice and Buckwheat Pancakes (yummy with a smearing of pure maple syrup), High Fibre Craisin Breakfast Bars, Leek Quiche and Oatey Fruit Cookies.

I guess the trick is finding recipes where your slighty gritty flour won't be noticible. For example, anzacs biscuits would work quite well, but a sponge cake wouldn't be so good!!!

Hope this helps a little more.  :)