Author Topic: Cost of a demonstration  (Read 10010 times)

Offline spanner

• View Profile
    • Aussies living simply
Cost of a demonstration
« on: July 16, 2009, 05:20:13 am »
Hi Consultants / demonstrators and general dogs bodies who accompany the pilot of Flight TM31 .

I am just wondering how much does it cost the consultant each time they do a demo?

Food being the main cost.

As I am thinking hard about becomming one ( even before I have seen a demo  :o ) I would like to know what others are spending per demon and how many demos on average you do per sale.

If you dont want to answer on the public thread please feel free to PM me.

Cheers.
==============================

a miniskip past is a treasure lost

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Cost of a demonstration
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 05:40:50 am »
i have been told about $20 per demo.

hwoever my first demonstrator had me provide all the fresh stuff - dairy etc

the second provided everything.

i'm not sure which way is most common.
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 05:45:37 am »
Mine cost nothing ( I think) - but I provided most of the ingredients, so that may be part of the variation. 

Luckily we have loads of demonstrators who can give the "Correct" answer
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 10:16:29 am »
The correct answer is between $15 and $20.
The host provides the 'dairy' and 'fruit' ingredients (milk, eggs, parmesan, cream cheese, fruit, ice,)
The demonstrator provides the rest (flour, rice, vegies, herbs etc)
Set up for actually being a demonstrator  is or was $180 for the business kit, plus if you need containers and stuff to cart the ingredients along to the demo, any extra cookery books so you dont use your own scungy ones all the time!)  You can get more info if you are able to go along to one of the open days they have

Oh if its a Varoma demo the host provides everything I think

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 10:18:44 am »
Baf answered while I was typing!!........One lovely thing is that the food for the dishes you try the first time become tax deductions!!!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 10:21:48 am »
it's still $180 if you own your thermomix :)

janee, how do you calculate what a meal is worth? i know if i actually had to calculate its true cost i wouldn't bother lol
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 11:09:28 am »
JB said something about the business kit now costing $300 with some new books in there...??

When I started I found that demos cost me around $30-50 but now I'd say about $20.  It depends on what you're cooking (list of ingredients) and where you live.  If you can access good markets etc you probably get the food a lot cheaper than the stupidmarket.  JB told us in training aim for $10 a demo - but I have never managed this.

For a Varoma, I still provide rice, some vegies, flour etc, but now ask the host to provide a lot more.  And if the host offers to provide more - then I have finally learnt to accept.

The basic idea is that the host provides the perishables (as mentioned below). Including meat if it's required - say for a Varoma demo.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 11:25:56 am »
ILB i've been told $180 and won't be happy if it's $300! i already had a hard enough time convincing dh.... just got the call from the group leader (who i bought my thermomix from, as well as trying to book my 2nd demo but she didn't remember my name at all  :-\ ) so am doing all paperwork next week
My Cooking Blog

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 12:00:06 pm »
Karen,
I've just been searching through my emails to see if Janine sent through the latest flyer - but I can't see it there.  Maybe there are 2 options??

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 02:24:39 pm »
When I did my training i had the business kit for $180 and then if I chose I could buy another copy of Everyday cookbook, full steam ahead, seafood and gluten free for $60 and if I wanted to get the breadmat for another $40 , so maybe that is the $300 they are referring to

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 03:07:35 pm »
Calculating meal value can be tricky but if you are buying ingredients specifically to try a new dish then keep receipts & tally periodically.

I agree & often can't be bothered.  Don't forget I wasn't the passionate, bold cook you are Brazen.  I am from the opposite end of the spectrum.  Thelma makes me look good.  I  have "phone a friend" cooks who are now aghast at the amount I cook & how I have turned around.  My point is I didn't have a cupboard full of enticing & exotic ingredients prior to Thelma coming into the family so I had carte blanche to "experiment". But, hey, the taxman doesn't know what your life was like before TM.  ;)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 03:47:42 pm »
.... but she didn't remember my name at all  :-\

That's what happens when you sell 500 machines  :o :o >:(
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 02:19:25 pm »
just got the call from the group leader (who i bought my thermomix from, as well as trying to book my 2nd demo but she didn't remember my name at all  :-\ )

That's a shame!
When I did my training i had the business kit for $180 and then if I chose I could buy another copy of Everyday cookbook, full steam ahead, seafood and gluten free for $60 and if I wanted to get the breadmat for another $40 , so maybe that is the $300 they are referring to

Think that must be it - as JB did mention the bread mat and an upgrade in books.

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 07:22:28 pm »
If the group leader couldn't remember my name I would be looking for a different group leader.
Here in South Africa TM is very new and we do not have groups yet - as we manage to get more consultants then no doubt it will happen. As to the ingredients we also ask the host to provide all perishables and we bring the flour veggies herbs etc. For a Varoma demo I also ask the hostess to provide the fish - so far I have always done the Asian Fish fillets for the Varoma Demo.
In this cold weather I also find it difficult to rise the dough and cook the bread in the timeframe so I bring one lot of risen dough and then make another batch which I take home - like the TV chefs! When I do demos for restaurants/chefs I  ask them to supply everything. Cost is probably 50/50 for host and myself.

Shayla from Cape Town