Author Topic: Varoma and speed setting  (Read 6295 times)

Offline Katya

• View Profile
Varoma and speed setting
« on: July 08, 2009, 09:44:01 am »
I've been using my Varoma  a lot recently and one question I have is what difference the speed setting makes when steaming something in it.   

Is there any difference between, for example,  having it on speed 1 with Varoma temp.  and on speed 4 or 5?   It doesn't make much difference to me (apart from speed 1 being quieter) but I am curious...

Thanks

Offline baf65

• View Profile
Re: Varoma and speed setting
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 09:46:55 am »
I think the higher speed would steam more effectively as the speed would 'push' the steam up , I always steam on speed 4/5

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 10:37:41 am »
Yes, I generally steam speed 2, unless its rice or octopus, and then I steam on speed 4. More steam and bubbles the quicker the blades go!
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 11:00:59 am »
Great question !!!!

I would expect more evaporation at the higher speeds, but the temperature would be the same.

The A Todo Vapor (Full Steam Ahead) book uses Speed 1 for most recipes, except for one that possibly needs thickening and so is done at speed 2 and one that has a "stew" cooking for cous-cous, that is done reverse and speed soft  ^^.

Didn't check all the recipes. 

I know that I have used speeds of greater than 1 for many dishes - but probably no advantage unless cooking something else below.  Rice in the basket is an example.

I use 100 degrees to steam some soft custards (Asian style)

Need to rethink my speeds.

Thanks again for a great question - love it.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 01:42:30 pm »
Thanks for a great response - good to get everyone's views on this  ;D