Author Topic: Who is the top Liverwurst Lover in Australia???  (Read 8975 times)

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• Thermomix blogging fan from Canada.
    • View Profile
    • SuperKitchenMachine is an unofficial fan blog for fun cooking with Thermomix!
Who is the top Liverwurst Lover in Australia???
« on: June 18, 2010, 11:41:58 pm »

Gertbysea!

WOW our dear Gretchen deserves a barrel full of kudos for all the work she put into preparing liverwurst with Thermomix! She was the impetus behind the LOL project (for Lovers of Liverwurst) and spent weeks getting a fresh pork liver into the kitchen. Here now is her recipe as it appears (with photos) on SuperKitchenMachine.com

GertbySea doesThermomix Liverwurst

Ingredients:
800 g pork shoulder cut in small chunks
200 g pork liver cut in larger chunks
300 g onion (about 2 large cut in quarters)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp marjoram
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp allspice

Preparation:

* Make sure your Thermomix blades are sharp. If necessary, chop some ice first to sharpen them.
    * Freeze pork and liver for about an hour.
    * Drop onions into Thermomix through the top on speed on 7. Remove onion flesh and squeeze out excess liquid.
    * In small batches put liver in TMX for 15- 20 seconds on speed 7. Remove and set aside.
    * In small batches put pork in TMX  for  1 -2 minutes on speed 8.

The length of time needed for processing depends on how coarse or fine you want your liverwurst. Since this was my first attempt I processed for less time (only about one minute) as you can see in the pictures. Next  time I will process  the pork for about 2 minutes.

* Chuck it all back into the TMX, add the spices.  Mix for one minute on speed 5 with REVERSE.
    * For testing of cooking techniques, I then divided the liver mixture into thirds. First I removed 1/3 of mixture and rolled it into a log as you can see in the picture. I wrapped it three times in plastic wrap.
    * With the next 1/3  I  just made a squarish patty , wrapped it in plastic twice before placing it in to Ziploc bag.
    * The next 1/3 I processed in TMX another 2 minutes, put it into a dish, placed baking paper on top then put that dish into another. I Poured boiling water up to abut ½ the height of the first dish and put them into the oven for 1.5 hours on 150 c. Perfect!
    * I put the rolled log in the Varoma. The square package I put in the basket. I added about 1.4 litres of water and  set the TMX for one hour on Varoma and speed 1. Also perfect.

Great work Gretchen!  :-* Are you done with the leftovers yet???  ;D

see here for more tips and photos:
http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/2010/7537/thermomix-liverwurst-recipe.html

;)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 02:51:22 am by ThermomixBlogger »
ThermomixBlogger Helene

News, recipes and videos for Thermomix fans
around the world and at home.
Click: http://www.superkitchenmachine.com

Also Kitchen Kits for people who love Thermomix!
http://SuperKitchenKits.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Who is the biggest Liverwurst Lover in Australia???
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 02:36:56 am »
Hats off to you Gretchen for taking this on and achieving what looks like excellent results.  I am not a liverwurst eater but knew you would succeed when I first read about this project.  Bravo fine lady  :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Who is the top Liverwurst Lover in Australia???
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 08:16:25 am »
Gretchen,  thanks for this Liverwurst recipe and process.  I love liverwurst and would like to have a go,  I am not very sophisticated in what I like although I prefer a fine texture.  When I can get a pig's liver I will have a go at making it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 10:41:06 am »
Well done Gretchen, quite a feat. I'm afraid I won't even be trying to make it. Blech. :-\
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 12:58:52 pm »
Blimey!!what dedication to get a recipe to perfection.Congratulations Gretchen.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 01:04:44 am »
Thanks Helene for doing all the posting work and suggesting it in the first place. I do think next time I will just chuck it all in, blend it fine and then cook it in the TMX  before pouring it into  a container to set.  I don't think it would have made any difference to the flavour and if you like a fine texture that is the way to go.

It was fun sourcing the pigs live up here in Cairns. I had to find a wholesale butcher with it's own abattoir. I saw lots of good stuff there so I am onto brawn next. well as soon as I finish the liverwurst!

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 02:05:27 am »
Mum used to make brawn but as a child I would never eat it.  Will be interested in this recipe Gretchen as I would love to take around a batch for her when the warmer weather comes back.  Maybe now I might even try a slice myself :D :D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 03:13:47 am »
I warn you Judy that I will be making Pigs Head Brawn!

I will be using this recipe http://www.mietta.com.au/Recipes/Meat/English/PigS_Head_Brawn.html

I doubt it can be successfully done in the TMX so will make it traditionally first .My Dear departed Father in law used to make this ad-nauseum. All I can remember about my first years in Australia were the disgusting smells in the in laws kitchen. If it wasn't brawn it was boiled cabbage with sausages. My mother in law, who lived to the grand age of 104, used to boil the cabbage until it was dead then mash it for good measure.  The fat from the sausages used to float on the top and just for a change she would add powdered curry powder. Truly one of the most disgusting things I ever was forced to eat.

But I digress.... I hated the brawn then due to the sheer volume of the stuff but now how I wish I could eat his lovely brawn again.

Anyway I will give it a go after another trip to the abattoir.

Have you ever cooked slow cooked pigs cheek for you mum? I bet she would love that. You can get pigs cheeks and beef cheeks in Coles. I am sure you could get the Pig's head and trotters at the market in town. Love that market. Ummm smelly cheese, fresh figs. Love that place.

Gretch
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 03:35:33 am »
That doesn't put me off Gretchen, in fact it makes me really want to make it.  Remember DH was a butcher once, so if I can trust him with a knife in his hand, he will be able to do what I may not like doing with that pig's head.  Can't quite see how you are going to adapt it to the TMX though as no amount of chopping will get that pig's head into the TM bowl  ??? ???
Glad your in-laws weren't mine - I think I would have fled from those smells.  Loved your description of what she used to do to the cabbage :D :D
Don't think I like the idea of animal cheeks but the head and trotters are acceptable.  Get a cheap flight to Adelaide one day Gretchen and I will meet you at the market and watch you in your element.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 10:51:28 am »
My Mum used to make brawn too. She used to use pig's trotters as I don't think she could get a head as we were in the bush and didn't have pigs. I'm afraid I'd rather not eat that too! It's all the 'jelly' in it I'm not fond of. It tasted good when it was all the meat in the bowl but then when it was jellied-yuk.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 09:31:49 am »
Good work girls.  I love liverwurst and brawn and trotters and .....especially the jelly !!  Yum, the gelatinous skin on trotters and slow cooked pork belly....

Thanks again Gerty & TMBHelene  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Samlee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 11:39:33 am »
I love liverwurst as do my boys and would love to make it. but my brain can't get past the handling the pork liver. so weird i know its in it but just go there .

fantastic that you developed recipe though

thank you

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 11:58:58 am »
I too like Liverwurst but haven't had it for ages, don't know if I would make it .. I remember coming home from school reaching the gate and smelling the pigs head cooking for brawn, oh the smell  >:( >:( >:( >:( I loved the brawn when it was finished and ready.