Author Topic: Recipe copyright in Australia - does anyone know?  (Read 5613 times)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Recipe copyright in Australia - does anyone know?
« on: March 28, 2010, 12:18:57 am »
have jsut read this and wondering how we stand in australia?
http://www.elanaspantry.com/whose-recipes-are-they-anyway/
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline versaceyoyo

• View Profile
    • the thermomix diary
Re: Recipe copyright in Australia - does anyone know?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 12:37:14 am »
Karen, as with most legal questions, there is no cut and dried answer.  There is a good info sheet here on the Aust position - www.copyright.org.au/pdf/acc/infosheets_pdf/g019.pdf

Basically, if you copy a recipe word for word and re-publish it (eg on the internet) then I would say, strictly speaking, yes that is a breach of copyright.  However, if you adapt and existing recipe for use with the TMX then that it is a bit more borderline (arguable that it is not a breach).

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 02:03:46 am »
Looks like we are safe to convert any recipe for the TMX - our methods for preparation are so different to normal cooking.  Still think it right to give credit to the source of the original (?) recipe.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 02:05:46 am »
i'm with you judy :)

it is tricky isn't it VYY but good to know we are generally able to do that without a problem!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 05:25:03 am »
It's an interesting issue.
The same thing happens with formula for skin and hair care products. People spend years developing them and then generously put the formula on forums and such and others just rip them off all call them theirs.
They soon get pulled up though, as others find out and report back to the original poster and then all hell breaks loose and a train wreck soon follows!!

A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 08:08:24 am »
I've always understood that the ingredients for a recipe can't be copyright but the method and probably name can be. As judy said we alter the the method a lot when we convert so we should be fine. It is fair to say where we have adapted it from though if we do so.
An interesting concern though.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/