Author Topic: Quick Mix Dark Chocolate Cake  (Read 44195 times)

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
Quick Mix Dark Chocolate Cake
« on: September 16, 2012, 10:32:10 am »
This is my go-to chocolate cake that I have been making since I first learnt to cook. It is always moist and never fails. The original recipe is in my mother's handwriting in the Favourite Recipe Book she gave me with our family recipes in it many years ago. The original recipe called for all the ingredients  to be beaten together for 2 minutes, before the eggs are added, and then beaten for a further 2 minutes. I have adapted the recipe for my Thermo Chef, but have given suggestions for a Thermomix.

Preheat your oven to moderate (180C), and grease 2x 20cm sandwich tins.

Place the following ingredients in the bowl of your thermie:
250g SR Flour
225g sugar
40g cocoa
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup milk
100g melted butter
Mix for 1 minute on speed 4 (speed 5 TMX)

Add 2 eggs and mix for another minute on speed 5 (speed 5 TMX)

Pour into prepared tins and cook in a moderate oven for about 30 minutes, until cooked.

This can also be made into cupcakes, and will make approx 1 1/2 dozen, medium cupcakes. The mixture is quite runny and easy to pour into cupcake papers.

I made these cupcakes for my daughter's cake decorating party on the weekend, and iced them with the leftover icing. This is a photo of the leftover cakes that I had put in the freezer. I quickly pulled them out of the freezer and took this photo!

Members' comments

This is a very popular cake for birthday cakes

CP - Guess what?, this truly IS a quick mix cake. Very nice, ES and thank you so much for sharing. Used a ring tin and cooked for 30 mins. Too easy.

JuliaC83 - Made this in a ring tin as well - fabulous height!!! I switched 100g butter for 100g coconut oil ... adds a really subtle hint of coconut. Delicious!!

maddy - Loved the recipe Emerald Sue.  It was lovely & moist like you said. The regular sized cupcakes took 19 mins. To cook, and the mini cupcakes took 12 mins. My new favourite chocolate cake. I love this mix, and I find it keeps well & is more moist compared to the choc bimby's cake. I have found that this is the only mix that gives perfect domes...especially in a mini muffin tin.

CC - I promised to make a cake for a charity event tomorrow. Your recipe fitted perfectly into my Williams-Sonoma cookie cake pans Sue. I sandwiched them together with halve quantity of the buttercream recipe that johnro used recently.

Wonder - I made this last night to feed a hoard of teenagers that called in. DD has recently cut lactose from her diet so I subbed butter for rice bran oil, milk for lactose free milk and the cocoa powder for pure cacao powder. The cake seemed to take longer to cook than I expected but fortunately I had put it in a ring tin so it was ok. I didn't taste it but the kids said is was good and the texture looked good.

Double Delight - Yum Yum, easy and moist. Thanks.

Denzelmum - Quick and easy, made in 8" square tin.  Thank you.

Hally - Just taken cup cakes and a round cake out of the oven, they rose very well, in fact all have domed. Never had this before, but will just cut the dome off & eat it.

ES - this cake does dome. If you want a flat top, try baking in a silicon pan.

Augusta - to get a flatter top, next time you make this cake just slice off the dome and turn it upside down, I always had to do this with cakes that I used to make for people as this gives you a flat surface to work with.

maddy - I don't see the doming an issue at all, especially with cupcakes as it aids the shaping for piping swirls of icing.

KarenH - Made a double quantity of this recipe this morning as a "test run", and although it nearly filled the thermie, it worked fine - so double quantity is do-able.  I used a 26cm square cake tin, and in my oven it took nearly an hour to cook. It is a lovely cake, perfect texture and lovely and moist.  Thanks for the recipe ES (and your mum!).

kezza - This is a great cake.  As everyone has said its lovely and moist.  I have made it in a ring tin and experimented on the weekend with cupcakes and smaller bite size cakes.  Had the dome thing a bit, but not too bad.  I am still pondering whether to use fan forced or not.  Does this affect the doming or is it just the mixture?
Made this cake for Easter Sunday and used Maddy's fantastic chocolate buttercream.  Cake was loved by all and everyone said icing and filling tasted just like chocolate mousse.  Thank you ES and thank you Maddy.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:03:52 pm by judydawn »
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Re: Quick Mix Dark Chocolate Cake
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 11:38:50 pm »
Thanks ES. I'll give this one a go, does it tend to dome in the middle and would it be ok in a single tin?

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 11:48:22 pm »
Thanks ES, looking forward to making them  :)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline 85model

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 03:02:35 am »
hi there do you find that it needs a bit more liquid than just the eggs and the melted butter?

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 03:35:08 am »
ES.... did you freeze them with the icing on them? Did they thaw ok?
:D

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 03:44:21 am »
85, Ill double ckeck the recipe for you when I get home in case ive left an ingredient out.
Astarra, they are fine from the freexer, with the butter icing - the colur from the 100s and 1000s may bleed a little as they defrost.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 03:54:39 am »
Thanx  :D
On my to-do list.....
:D

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 06:31:57 am »
OOOPS
I have just edited the recipe to include a cup of milk in the ingredients list. Thanks to 85model for pointing out that the cake didnt have enough liquid :o
LOL when my mother wrote this recipe out for me many years ago, she omitted the melted butter!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 06:44:49 am »
Well spotted :)

On my to do list :)

ES how long did you cook for as cup cakes?

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 08:21:09 am »
My oven is playing up at the moment, so im not sure how long I cooked them for. I suspect about 15 minutes. sorry i cant be more precise

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 02:31:27 am »
looks good, i will make them on the weekend..
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 12:04:01 pm »
Guess what?, this truly IS a quick mix cake. Very nice, ES and thank you so much for sharing. Used a ring tin and cooked for 30 mins. Too easy  :D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline JuliaC83

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 12:34:22 pm »
Made this tonight in a ring tin as well - fabulous height!!! I switched 100g butter for 100g coconut oil ... adds a really subtle hint of coconut. Delicious!! :)
Happily married since 27/03/2004
DS1 2007 Neuroblastoma survivor, Autism, ADHD
DS2 2009
Student Midwife - will graduate at the end of 2014

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 05:10:43 am »
That looks great Julia! :D

And so does yours CP, I didn't see it earlier. Delicious ;D

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 11:46:41 pm »
Loved the recipe EmeraldSue  :-*  It was lovely & moist like you said.
I used this cocoa

The regular sized cupcakes took 19 mins. To cook, and the mini cupcakes took 12 mins.

my new favourite chocolate cake  ;)

Minii cupcakes are the perfect size for the push up containers too

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 11:49:38 pm by maddy »
.........EAT CAKE!