Author Topic: Black Eyed Bean Salad  (Read 5391 times)

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
Black Eyed Bean Salad
« on: December 27, 2010, 09:27:02 am »
This is a yum, fresh salad that is best done the day before to let the flavours develop - so good to take to BBQ's. I have not put in amounts for the dressing - it is to your taste. Be generous - you want some yummy juices to mop up!

Soak beans overnight in water and vinegar.

Rinse and cook in TMX - 40 mins S4 90 in basket - add a strip of  kombu to soften. Toss that when they are done. Check after 40 mins and cook for longer if needed.

Drain and while hot dress with olive oil, lemon juice, fresh crushed garlic clove, sea salt, organic raw caster sugar (made in TMX), white whine vinegar to taste and added coarsly chopped parsley and popped in fridge for 6 hours.

DH would prefer the parsley be more like a pesto - he don't like rustic the fussy bugger. In that case add all salad ing to TMX bowl and whizz up - S6 or 7 till you get a nice pesto consistancy.

Have added chopped tomatoes and kalamata olives and they are marinating overnight and will have with a soft fried egg on top for a yum breakky tomorrow.

Could also have on a bed of greek yogurt and with crusty bread as a lunch. A bit of crisp pancetta would work on top.

Would be nice with lime and coriander and roasted capsicum and fresh, raw sweetcorn as an alternative too I reckon.

I like. Easy, cheap, fresh and best to do the day before.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 09:31:27 am by zebraa »

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Re: Black Eyed Bean Salad
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 09:50:23 am »
YUM!!!!!  Thanks Zebraa - I love black eyed beans - my southern American heritage!!  Will have to try this one  ;D
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 07:26:04 am »
I've never tried black eyed beans. What is the taste similar to?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 02:43:41 pm »
Probably cannoli beans.

Good texture.

I did the tomato and olive version with a soft sunnyside egg over it for brekky and bread to mop up the jucies - YUM. Worth making:)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 01:22:21 am »
This is actually a great dish for New Years - I should have thought to make it!  My friend from the deep south in the US says her mom always cooked a pot of black-eyed peas for New Years Eve, and they all ate a bowl at midnight - supposed to bring luck!

Happy New Year!!  ;D
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.