Author Topic: Basic Crackers  (Read 54212 times)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Basic Crackers
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 01:40:45 pm »
Get crackin'!!  :D :D Ahhh I crack myself up!!  :-)) ;)

Offline versaceyoyo

• View Profile
    • the thermomix diary
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2010, 11:56:00 am »
Get crackin'!!  :D :D Ahhh I crack myself up!!  :-)) ;)

Sure, the pun was intentional... and like all puns, weak!

Nay-nay - what grains did you use in yours?  I did them today and used oats plus baker's flour - they were ok but a bit tasteless.  i did add poppy seeds, maldon salt, and parmesan on some, but they were still a bit bland...any suggestions?  good texture though and nice and crunchy.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2010, 01:16:59 pm »
There is a similar recipe in the Vegetarian Cookbook that has some flavour variations.  Cracked pepper, sundried tomatoes, parmesan, herbs etc.   :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 04:11:18 pm »
Since the Nico demo have had much satisfaction with the recipe for corn chips (baked not fried) recipe in the lunchbox booklet. He never cooked them, but had a chance to sample a cracker there to spur me on.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2010, 03:25:54 am »
Ummm - They're crackers - thought they were suppose to be bland - it's what you dip them in that makes them! Although the salty italian herb ones were really good.  ;)

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2010, 05:12:43 am »
Just made the OP using wheat instead of Oats etc, didn't prick mine and I used the pasta machine down to setting #2 they turned out really well. They were quite crumbly to start with when using the pasta machine but I kept sticking it back together and folding it on #7 and once it was smooth I progressed down the settings :)
Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.  ~Harriet van Horne

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2010, 05:26:41 am »
Thanks for the report.  i love my pasta roller.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2011, 09:56:22 pm »
Made these yesterday and really happy with the results thanks to all the people who had tried them and posted their comments.  The only thing I did slightly differently was to keep them in the oven longer for some as I found that unless they were completely hard coming out of the oven, they didn't really harden up as they cooled.  For some of the bigger ones I just left them in the oven and turned it off.  After 15 or 20 more minutes they were perfect.

I just decorated some with sesame seeds, some with chia seeds, and some with dried rosemary.  Great dipped in the french onion dip that JD posted!

Offline BimbyPT

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2011, 10:07:22 am »
I loved this recipe but need a little help:
- dried yeast - is the one we use to make bread? Or the one for cakes?
- no fat at all in this recipe - is that correct? Store bought crackers have such an insanely amount of fat that I am totally amazed!
Thermomixing from Porto, Portugal

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2011, 10:24:43 pm »
Yep that's the yeast you use in bread making (not sure what cake yeast is??) and yes no oil or butter.  ;)

Offline BimbyPT

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2011, 10:36:48 pm »
Yep that's the yeast you use in bread making (not sure what cake yeast is??) and yes no oil or butter.  ;)

What I refered as "cake yeast" is whatever powdered thing you add to cakes to make them grow  ;D The portuguese word is the same for both kinds, except the one for bread is called "baker's yeast"

Thanks for the help!
Thermomixing from Porto, Portugal

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2011, 11:16:51 pm »
Ah ha, it's called baking powder here  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2011, 08:12:59 am »
Made these yesterday and really happy with the results thanks to all the people who had tried them and posted their comments.  The only thing I did slightly differently was to keep them in the oven longer for some as I found that unless they were completely hard coming out of the oven, they didn't really harden up as they cooled.  For some of the bigger ones I just left them in the oven and turned it off.  After 15 or 20 more minutes they were perfect.

I just decorated some with sesame seeds, some with chia seeds, and some with dried rosemary.  Great dipped in the french onion dip that JD posted!

will definately cook them longer next time as this time some were slightly thicker and stayed soft and werent that nice which was unfortunate as the others were delish..i just did similar to cookie i think it was and mixed in some parmesan and peppercorns...yummmmmyyy just as i was short for time i didnt cook them much longer and had to throw about half of htem out...so either really thin or cooked until dry...!!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline merlot

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2011, 02:28:05 am »
just made these! yum

i used 50g of rolled oats and 50g pepita seeds as the first ingredient.  then decorated with rock salt and either poppy seeds or sesame seeds.  Made about 100 of the MC rounds.

My gas went out when i put the first batch in so they sat in a cooling oven for 10min before i realised, and then turned the oven back on to cook for 20min. They came out nice and crunchy! LOL! Not something i could be bothered to repeat by turning the oven off for subsequent batches though.

I also noticed that when i put the rock salt on and they sat for 20min (waiting for the first batch to be done) it drew the moisture to the top of the cracker so that batch was a little softer than the others. So a tip for the future to leave the salt until the last minute before putting them in the oven.

i served it with a dip i made using left over Beetroot Salad and Philly Cream Cheese. (100g of each)
My Beetroot Salad was initially made with mint rather than coriander, and had no onion. i also had added almonds and walnuts to it. Made a nice dip!

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2011, 09:50:16 am »
Made these today and they have turned out pretty good, Although I think I could of rolled them a little thinner I think. I used a chilli and salt spice in a grinder on top of mine which made the crackers look really appealing. I'm going to make a dip tomorrow to go with the crackers.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.