Author Topic: Basic Crackers  (Read 51016 times)

Offline Alina0210

• View Profile
Basic Crackers
« on: November 20, 2008, 04:46:10 pm »
I keep losing the Recipe sheet, so i will add it here.

Name of Recipe: Basic Crackers
Number of People: makes heaps
Ingredients:
100g spelt, rye, or oats
200g bakers flour
1/2 tspn salt
1tspn dried yeast
120g lukewarm water

Decorating: Black sesame seeds, poppy seeds, linseeds, Garlic powder and dried herbs or even chilli and salt. Let your mind go.

Preparation:

Mill grain 1min/speed 9

Add all remaining ingredients and mix for 15secs/speed 6

Knead dough for 1.5 to 2min at interval setting

Take about 1/4 of dough and roll out between two sheets baking paper, or silicon mat to form thin dough, 2-3mm thickness

Sprinkle some of the decorating items and roll into dough

Cut cracker shapes as desired on an oiled surface or the mat

Repeat with rest of dough

Bake in a pre heater oven at 190 degrees for 10-15mins

Tips/Hints:
This makes heaps of crackers and great with homemade dips.

Recipe received from Elisabeth Higgins (Perth Consultant)

tips/hints from members

Nay-nay - I had fun making these. I made a Salada and a jatz take-off. The MC turned out to be the perfect size cutter). A pastry edger was used to cut but not right through (so you can break them up after they cook). I used a skewer to make perfect little holes (like shop bought) so they didn't puff up like little pillows. I made poppy seed, salt & sesame seed, cracked pepper and Italian herb.

Cookie - I did a trial run of these today and took everyone's hints on board. I found a similar recipe in the Vegetarian book and so made these changes. I added about 12 peppercorns and ground them with 30g parmesan and a couple of sundried tomatoes and about a ¼ teaspoon of Italian herbs. I then added all the other ingredients.
They're really tasty. I didn't roll them that thin so that I could see through them but went about 1-2 mm in thickness. They're very crunchy. I sprinkled salt on some of them and rolled it in.

opi2kenopi - Made these and really happy with the results thanks to all the people who had tried them and posted their comments.  The only thing I did slightly differently was to keep them in the oven longer for some as I found that unless they were completely hard coming out of the oven, they didn't really harden up as they cooled.  For some of the bigger ones I just left them in the oven and turned it off.  After 15 or 20 more minutes they were perfect. I just decorated some with sesame seeds, some with chia seeds, and some with dried rosemary.  Great dipped in the french onion dip that JD posted!

thermobudgie - Have made these wonderful crackers! Nice and crunchy. I added Parmesan and poppy seeds to the mix and also extra salt. Rolled them out to 2mm with the rolling pin and cooked for 15 minutes. I left them in the oven while it was cooling for about another 20 minutes and they came out nice and crunchy.

Amy -  I had to add more water to my dough as it was very dry and crumbly and would not come together. I used a few different flavourings to give them a bit more oomph.

Hearts = Paprika
Stars = Garlic and Herb
Flowers = Rosemary and Salt
Circles = Parmesan and Pepper

I also made rectangles and left them plain, and cut the rest of the dough into "jigsaw pieces" and sprinkled them with Moroccan seasoning. We served with avocado and lemon juice.

merlot - i used 50g of rolled oats and 50g pepita seeds as the first ingredient. Decorated with rock salt and either poppy seeds or sesame seeds.  Made about 100 of the MC rounds. I also noticed that when i put the rock salt on and they sat for 20 min (waiting for the first batch to be done) it drew the moisture to the top of the cracker so that batch was a little softer than the others. So a tip for the future to leave the salt until the last minute before putting them in the oven.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:20:34 pm by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Basic Crackers
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 06:11:48 am »
I keep losing the Recipe sheet, so i will add it here.

I like your thinking - other TMXers, PLEASE FOLLOW SUIT - once it's here you will always be able to find it and search for it  ;)

Great recipe, a bit like Dani's Sardinian parchment bread - so easy.  The Broad Bean and Feta dip she made to go with it is similar to her entry in the TMX Australia Monthly Therm-off - great combination of flavours.

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 03:40:30 pm »
Did I make these right? I rolled them out fairly thinly, about 2mm and then the middle puffs out so they are very airy. I sprinkled poppyseeds on them - first batch I pressed them in slightly to make them stick which when cooked, they just basically rolled off. Second batch in the oven, I brushed with water and then put poppyseeds on -- slightly better "stickeness" (lol), middles of crackers airy. Next batch into the oven made them thicker -- probably about 3mm, and brushed with water before adding poppyseeds. Probably out of all 3 trials, #2 oven batch was the best overall. I was looking on Teninas website and her crackers looked flat and even, whereas mine sort of resembled puff pastry. Would this be how they were meant to turn out? I had some wholemeal organic spelt flour already milled which I used 100g of and also had to add more lukewarm water during the kneading process as it resembled breadcrumbs -- would this make any difference?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 06:59:20 am »
Mine didn't turn out quite how I had expected either CreamPuff63.  They were puffed out in the middle and were really quite tough when we tried to eat them.  I rolled the seeds in really well but they all ended up on the tray after baking.  I wonder  where we went wrong ???
Chelsea  :)

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 11:28:20 am »
I rolled mine out super super thin...so that if you roll them out on your thermo mat and hold the mat up you can see through it...so maybe roll out thinner?
I dont wet the pastry, i just sprinkle the seeds on and roll in with a rolling pin, Ive mainly used sesame seed or nigella seeds which dont have the  roll factor of poppy seeds but you do literally roll them in not just press them

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 01:32:25 pm »
will give rolling thinner a go. I sort of thought they were pretty thin as when I tried to lift them off the silpat they stretched abit. Rolling in the seeds is probably a good way to go also. Taste wise, I thought they were ok.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 01:38:25 pm »
Could you put them thru a pasta roller?  Would be good if the consistency is suitable.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 05:11:45 am »
Could you put them thru a pasta roller?  Would be good if the consistency is suitable.

That's a good idea.  Will give that a go next time.  :)

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 05:47:42 am »
I'm intending to use my pasta machine when I make these.  Far easier and less mess I reckon!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 05:35:20 am »
saw a picture somewhere also and they were cut into squares using a pizza cutter. I used a knife and it tends to drag the pastry.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 01:20:37 pm »
I was looking at a different cracker recipe today and it said to pierce the uncooked crackers with the tines of a fork to prevent them from puffing up during baking. Perhaps this tip may also help with these crackers. :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 02:08:06 pm »
Often a good idea to dock them to reduce the amount that they puff - just like pastry
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 05:28:58 am »
I had fun making these. I made a Salada and a jaxs take-off. The MC turned out to be the perfect size cutter (for scones too). A pastry edger was used to cut but not right through (so you can break them up after they cook). I used a skewer to make perfect little holes(like shop bought) so they didn't puff up like little pillows. I made poppy seed, salt &sesame seed, cracked pepper and Italian herb.  ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 06:41:12 am »
They look great - may have to go into selling to the farmers around you.  Might generate some sales
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 06:44:44 am »
They look great - may have to go into selling to the farmers around you.  Might generate some sales
;) If they last the drive out to the front gate!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 01:38:36 pm by Nay-nay »