Author Topic: Recipe Book Tweaking and Reviews!  (Read 162456 times)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Recipe Book Tweaking and Reviews!
« on: February 26, 2009, 09:42:07 am »
quite a few of the recipes in the books need tweaking so if you have changes to suggest post them in this thread :) also use it to post your reviews of the recipes

suggested format:

Recipe Name:
Book Name:
Tweaking details:
Review:
Score: (out of 5*)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 09:43:40 am by brazen20au »
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
Re: Recipe Book Tweaking and Reviews!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:47:19 am »
Recipe Name: lentil and tomato daal
Book Name: everyday
Tweaking details: there is an error in the first line when it asked you to add the coriander with the carrot (it is actually the LAST thing to go in). we found 2 limes too much  :-X and the lentils needed another 5-10 minutes longer. we also used a higher speed for the last 5 minutes to chop the tomatoes a bit more
Review: i will recook this and reconsider, but cooking exactly as the recipe said (well except 1 extra zucchini and a small amount of sweet potato) it wasn't something i'd eat again.
Score: (out of 5*) ** 1/2
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 12:12:19 pm »
Coleslaw

Everyday cookbook page 39

I don't add apple unless it is going to all be eaten the same day as it tends to go brown and looks unappetising - I add a little bit of sugar to compensate along with a handful of Italian parsley with the other ingredients. I usually only make 1/2 quantity and it only takes 3-4 seconds all up.

Couldn't get anything quicker than this salad, it takes longer to prepare the vegies for the bowl than it does to chop them. Haven't mastered the mayonnaise yet so use a bought one.

5/5 for me
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 12:16:37 pm »
Mushroom sauce

Everyday cookbook page 59

Made this without the porcini mushrooms (couldn't find them anywhere, any ideas what could be used as a substitute?).  used field mushrooms for best flavour and colour.  Mixed the cornflour and cream together before adding it to prevent clumping which happens sometimes.  Makes a reasonable amount so I froze small portions - so handy to have on hand for non TM31 meals like grills and snitzels or is great just served on toast.  Add more cream if too thick.

Excellent sauce, will keep packets in my freezer for ever!

Score 5/5

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 12:30:07 pm »
Buttermilk scones

Everyday cookbook page 122

These are excellent exactly as is and always work.  I seem to make anywhere between 20 and 23 though - I use the MC lid to press them out - not that I am complaining, the more the better. This quantity and size cooks in 15 minutes.  Was never a scone maker before TM31 but I can certainly do this recipe proud now.

Will never stop making them, 5/5 for me.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 11:46:21 pm by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 12:31:39 pm »
Rice Pudding

Everyday cookbook page 154

Perfect as is, 5/5 for me

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 01:25:50 am »
Mushroom sauce

Everyday cookbook page 59

Made this without the porcini mushrooms (couldn't find them anywhere, any ideas what could be used as a substitute?).  used field mushrooms for best flavour and colour.  Mixed the cornflour and cream together before adding it to prevent clumping which happens sometimes.  Makes a reasonable amount so I froze small portions - so handy to have on hand for non TM31 meals like grills and snitzels or is great just served on toast.  Add more cream if too thick.

Excellent sauce, will keep packets in my freezer for ever!

Score 5/5

They are available, dried, in packets at most gourmet food shops, the market and many larger supermarkets.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 08:18:12 am »
Rice pudding is 5/5 for me too. We also make it exactly as it is. Everydfay book.

Pizza dough; exactly as the recipe says, but I make 3, not 4 bases from it. (We like ours a little thicker) and I leave the bases to rise a little before I cook them.  Everyday Book.

Cape Seed bread is really tasty. I made it exactly to the recipe, but accidently turned all my seeds into flour. I think I will do the same next time.  Everyday Book.

Anzac biscuits were very nice.  I reduced the sugar to 110g and it was plenty.  Everyday Book.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 09:19:12 am »
Ginger Beer

Page 24 everyday cookbook

As is, deliciously refreshing.  Even HB, who doesn't like ginger beer, gave this the thumbs up.

5/5

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 01:10:54 am »
I have tried Coles, Woolworths and Foodland for dried porcini mushrooms

Judy, here's an Australian source that sells dried porchini.  I think you have to buy 450 grams though.....

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 03:17:08 am »
hehe

judy, if you really get stuck let me know, i'm pretty sure the deli at our local markets would sell them
My Cooking Blog

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 01:41:22 am »
Thanks for that UnConundrum but what is the source, nothing came up! ;D

Duh!  Try this http://www.aoap.com.au/Content_Common/pc-Antipasti-Funghi.seo

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 12:33:25 am »
Tell me, I'm sure the recipe is going to be far too much for 2 - once made, can they be frozen either before or after the steaming process. 

Yes, they are dirt cheap when you consider how much it takes to make them - cheaper than making your own pasta.  You can use them for ravioli, tortellini etc.

Two options - I prefer to make up extra filling and freeze balls/ice-cube trays of filling (so it doesn't take long to thaw) these can be placed into the wrappers once thawed - the wrappers last well if placed in a zip-lock bag and kept in the fridge .

If you are going to freeze whole dim sims then best to freeze them after cooking as the raw wrappers are more likely to stick (use semolina to sprinkle between if you do try freezing them raw - less sticking than flour).
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 02:13:59 am »
Hi Judy,

You will be able to get porcini mushrooms from the "mushroom man"at the Adelaide central market.  He sells them in small packets or to the weight that you require.  Just remember that when you soak them not to throw away the soaking water as it adds great flavour to soups ect.  DJ's also carry them and continental grocery shops or at least they do around here.  I live in Redwood Park - if you have trouble getting them let me know and I will get you some and bring them down when we visit my sisterinlaw at North Haven.

Trudy

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 05:51:03 am »
I have just finished making the Strawberry tart from the calendar - it is February's recipe.
The pastry was nice, but needs less butter.  I would drop maybe 20 gms from the given recipe and see how it is.  I baked it in a 23cm flan tine for 15 minutes, not the 10 suggested at 170C, not the 160 suggested, for the first, blind, baking.

The custard recipe has far too much flour in it and subsequently tastes of flour, not of white chocolate.  Again I would drop 20 gms and see how it goes.  I baked it in the flan for the second baking at 170C for 15 minutes.

The glaze recipe is just silly.  It has way, way too much cornflour and I subsequently had to fiddle about quite a lot with it.  I would suggest halving the cornflour and checking the consistency after half of the stated cooking time, unless you enjoy a thick, gluey mass.

All in all, a disappointing recipe.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com