Author Topic: Bangers and Mash in a Tasty Onion Gravy  (Read 124802 times)

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
Re: Bangers and Mash in a Tasty Onion Gravy
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2011, 11:30:15 pm »
If you are doing the sausages in the varoma can't you just lay them on wet baking paper and this will stop the fat (if any) from dripping down into the bowl? A quick roll on paper towel will then remove any of the pooled fat from under the sausages.

I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if someone has already said this.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2011, 10:59:32 am »
That's a good idea.  I wonder if they would cook as well though.  I am guessing the steam coming through on the underside of the snags would be blocked off?  Something to try.  :)

Bonsai

« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2011, 03:12:42 pm »
More success - DS & DD loved this. I think the yummy gravy is the key ingredient - mushroom & onion is great but you could certainly tweak flavours. Carrots and corn cobs perfectly cooked as well. Definitely do again!

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2011, 02:34:19 am »
Well done Fiona.  It is great to find meals that the family like.  :)

Offline deonie

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2011, 12:24:03 pm »
did this for dinner tonight after a slight hicup creating my first non TMX day since it arrived on Saturday. It was delicious whole family (kids 7 & 14) and hubby happy, although probaly would have been better if Ihad read the cornflour instruction properly, did 2 tea spoons and as a result no really thick but still enjoyable.
Last night we had the mash from the beginners book which didn't cut it so tonight cooked them in the basket but then used my potato ricer and everybody was happy!

Thanks very much for the recipe. Time to start looking for tomorrow nights meal.

Deonie

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2011, 05:15:16 am »
After much discussion with my DH who had declared that he was not eating steamed sausages, I made this on the weekend. I also added the mushrooms at the start and then some onion jam I had made to the gravy at the end. I didn't bother with the bits of mushrooms that were in the potatoes and just mashed with butter, milk and a little Parmesan cheese. Not only did my DH have to eat the sausages he had to follow it with humble pie. My DS declared the potatoes the best he had ever tasted and the whole family is asking when they can have it again next. Overall a very quick and easy to prepare meal with great results. 5/5 in my book. Thanks Chelsea for a great recipe.

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2011, 05:23:00 am »
I'm glad you enjoyed it.  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2011, 05:23:30 am »
Ha ha, got to love it when men do a turnabout Twitterpated. There are too many positive comments of this recipe for it not to be liked in any household.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2011, 12:31:56 pm »
I must admit Twitterpated, I loved the idea of this but was a bit put off by the thought of steamed snags.  Finally gave it a go tonight & - apart from managing to make potato puree rather than mash - we loved it.  Totally delish & it will definitely feature again in this little household........Thanks Chelsea (need a slurping emoticon methinks  ;D ;D)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2011, 04:24:24 am »
We had this for dinner last night. It was delish - all enjoyed it very verymuch.

I was having a cook of with a friend and she was a cooking the same meal without the TM. It took her 1 hour, she burnt her pan and the food was not tasty, she gave up on the gravy. She was quite stressed, I sms saying"my cat is on my lap. watching the news, having a glass of wine" she was not impressed. I am trying to convert her to buying a TM.
This might have done it, we had a relaxed tasty dinner and she had burnt offerings with a pan to scrub.

Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2011, 05:01:04 am »
 ;D ;D ;D  Loved your little cook off - yay, TMX was the winner.  Poor friend  ;)

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2011, 07:51:30 am »
I'm so glad people are enjoying this recipe.  :)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2011, 04:40:26 am »
Thansk JD -  sms her last night and she was haivng pizza, so I think she is geting more serious about buying a TM
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2011, 01:36:37 pm »
Have been wanting to make this for ages but until tonight just never got to it. OMG it is delicious. My family will tell you they don't like mushrooms but tonight they cleaned it all up. The potatoes were very dirty but the flavour of the gravy through them was fantastic. Thanks for a lovely recipe.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2011, 01:56:38 pm »
For snags this certainly is one of the biggest taste surprises on this forum.  Nice to see you finally tried it Jan.