Author Topic: The Happy Thread  (Read 1012994 times)

*suzanne*

Re: The Happy Thread
« Reply #780 on: August 31, 2012, 06:30:26 am »
What a lovely thing to do Amy and well done on your pt record  ;D ;D

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 31, 2012, 06:50:09 am »
Well done Amy. You are a very nice daughter.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: September 03, 2012, 05:26:44 am »
After reading the shopping thread and the snakes/creepy crawly stories I had to add my snake story there too. Didn't think I better add this one to that thread as well.
But it got me thinking about another giggle I had, and it made me kinda happy remembering times gone by, so I'll share... (at my expense!)

When I had a waist  and parts of my anatomy were more 'perky' and I didn't need to wear the over the shoulder boulder holders that are reinforced with high tensile fencing wire and more elastic than my Grandma's knickers (so...some 20 odd years ago), I lived on an island in the Torres Straits with my (now) hubby.
We went out hunting one day with friends and were quietly walking along tracking pigs. Not taking much notice of the guys up front and how they had gone around a low hanging branch on a tree I thought I'd take a bit of a shortcut (cos I was a bit hot and sweaty and over the hunting thing by this time) and ducked under the branch.
I quickly realised why the blokes had all gone around it. All hell broke loose and the quiet was pierced by me squealing and yelling and hopping around flinging my shirt and shorts off in quick succession. I had brushed against a big green ants nest and most of them had gone down my shirt and were biting bits of me that really didn't want to be bitten.
The guys (and my hubby) thought it was hilarious and sat back watching the "show". Now I distinctly remember none of them offered to help remove the ants from my back and I think a few of the Islanders were impressed by the white woman's dance (and err...other bits!).
Once all the ants were removed, they decided that I had made far too much noise and the pigs were long gone and we headed back. But - explained to me that green ants only hurt when they bite and I would be ok, and did I get any to put on the steak we now had to have tonight as green ants crushed onto steak is pretty good. (it is!)
They weren't too bothered by the fact that we did not bring anything home for "kai kai" (tea), (not after the entertainment they had!) and next time they went out hunting they came via our place and asked my hubby if I could come hunting with them again.
(while talking to eachother in pidgin english that they knew of a couple of good ants nests!) I had to decline and told the lads that I could make up my own mind if I wanted to go hunting and that I could understand a bit of pidgin english and I knew what they were saying!
We still have a laugh about that now when we reminisce about the "good old days"!!

*suzanne*

« Reply #783 on: September 03, 2012, 05:29:00 am »
Great story Nikkit, that gave me a good giggle  ;D

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: September 03, 2012, 05:40:31 am »
That made me cringe Nikkit!!! But how funny ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: September 03, 2012, 05:52:47 am »
How ghastly for you. I can imagine everyone enjoying the show though.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: September 03, 2012, 05:57:57 am »
Green ants only hurt a bit when they bite, so one or two is ok, but a whole nest full was painful. After about 5 minutes the pain is gone - thank goodness!
I do miss green ants though - you hold their heads, bite off their bottoms and have an instant lime hit. Really refreshing when it is hot and you are thirsty.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: September 03, 2012, 05:59:35 am »
I'm sure we have come across them in our travels. Do they have a sort of bubble at the tail end?  A green bubble of liquid?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: September 03, 2012, 06:20:52 am »
Yes cookie1 that would be them. As far as I know they are a tropical ant. Nasty at the pointy end - their jaws are serious! Yummy bottoms though!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: September 03, 2012, 10:33:29 am »
Thanks for sharing your story with us Nikkit.  It's great to have experiences to look back on and have a good laugh even if they weren't funny at the time  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #790 on: September 03, 2012, 10:41:10 am »
Ok I think I have missed something here, people actually eat ants bums :o
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: September 03, 2012, 10:42:42 am »
Not this little black duck Mandi  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: September 03, 2012, 11:23:28 am »
We have lots of green ant nests in our garden. They bite is very painful. The can also swim and can get ya in the pool.  The nests are very interesting .

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #793 on: September 03, 2012, 11:31:20 am »
Do you eat them Gert?  ???

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: September 03, 2012, 11:38:31 am »
Do you eat them Gert?  ???

Only when there is an excess Dashingden.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.