Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4478961 times)

Offline johnro

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #1485 on: January 03, 2012, 11:41:45 pm »
Hally it is the result of my involvement in this forum that I now have this icecream maker and love it.  Initially I was guided by the hints, tips and advice of all the wonders on here who own one.  I have mainly used the recipe suggestions from here and the various TMX sites.   I needed the compressor variety as I don't have the freezer space bowl storage. As mentioned above Kitchenware direct did a price match for me back in October at $399  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: January 04, 2012, 12:20:11 am »
Between you robyn & JD you have nearly talked me into it ;D

I can  just hear DH now, where do you think your going to keep THAT !!!!  Oh oh have to move more things upstairs to the spate room, its already packed with 1 cupboard full of appliances rarely used. ;D

H :)

There sings my TM
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: January 04, 2012, 12:22:00 am »
Hally I make the ice cream custards partly with KA + the TM. The custards do need to chill before churning so I generally make them up in the arvo and let them chill overnight then churn the next morning. Yes it takes about 25 mins or so of churning to a soft serve consistency. You then scrape into a container and place in the freezer to freeze or 'ripen'  As there's no additives in it you will need to remove from freezer a good 10 - 15 mins before eating for it to soften.   You will find lots of recipes on line and an excellent book I bought is called The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz.
I don't use mine as much as I would if I had kids at home but it does get used. I especially like making vanilla bean flavour as it's perfect to serve with desserts.  :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 02:44:24 am by JulieO »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: January 04, 2012, 12:34:35 am »
I also have done the dirty deed and ordered - told you I was heading in that direction Hally :-))
Had to ring their toll free number as I was having trouble on line but it wasn't just me, apparently those using Internet Explorer were having problems. I ended up with 3 in my cart before I got to the check-out LOL so it was easier to ring them and sort it out before going any further.  Now to work out where I am going to put it, not exactly something to keep on the bench - not that I have room for that either.  I don't know, I think I am going to have to stop reading the Shopping Thread  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: January 04, 2012, 12:51:47 am »
I'm sure you won't regret it one bit Meagan!......I is very envious of the space you girls have to store it  :P

I picked up

...and on the look out now for a good digital candy thermometer.....those clip on tube ones are a p.i.t.a.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: January 04, 2012, 01:00:42 am »
None of you will regret it. I love my icecream machine. Mine is a Sunbeam and I love it. I use recipes from here and the book JulieO suggested which is really good. We prefer the custard type of icecream too and it makes it all so easy and healthy - well no chemicals in it. I often fold through a little alcohol and that makes it easier to get out of the container.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: January 04, 2012, 01:59:55 am »
I think I am going to frame the last few posts so that DH realises that I am not the only person on the planet who is influenced  by the professional  ;D  ;D advice from the wonders of the forum - Cookie your name has surfaced regularly when devouring many a batch of icecream  :D  :D  BTW my icecream maker live in our top garage beside the fridge luckily I had the perfect sized desk/table w'out having to buy one  :D  :D
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: January 04, 2012, 04:02:11 am »
Glad you like them Robyn. My mob's favourite is the peanut butter one but I won't let them have it all the time. ;)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: January 04, 2012, 04:02:57 am »
Just thought I'd pass this on.  I just rang our local Telstra shop enquiring about the mini sim cards for the iPad.  He told me they are free with a 5gb download limit which of course expires after 30 days then it's up to you to recharge.  

My plan is to trial it for the free month and then if happy with it (I'm sure I will be) then pay for 12 months ($150 for 12 gb), then I won't have to worry if some months it hardly gets used.

If you all know about this, then disregard my post, but for anyone who didn't know this (like me), I'm astounded that I can actually get something for nothing.  :o

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: January 04, 2012, 05:33:33 am »
Wow. I must ask DD if she had to pay for hers the other day. We're very happy with the idea of it and it seems to work well.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: January 04, 2012, 06:32:11 am »
I caved in an bought myself an iPad. And of course this is the first place I came.

I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline natmum

• View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: January 04, 2012, 08:04:13 am »
I caved in an bought myself an iPad. And of course this is the first place I came.

Thinking of buying 1 this week with my xmas bonus from work!
Just thought I'd pass this on.  I just rang our local Telstra shop enquiring about the mini sim cards for the iPad.  He told me they are free with a 5gb download limit which of course expires after 30 days then it's up to you to recharge. 

My plan is to trial it for the free month and then if happy with it (I'm sure I will be) then pay for 12 months ($150 for 12 gb), then I won't have to worry if some months it hardly gets used.

If you all know about this, then disregard my post, but for anyone who didn't know this (like me), I'm astounded that I can actually get something for nothing.  :o

Thanks for letting us know we were just discussing the need for a sim last night! Great to know!
Nat

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: January 04, 2012, 08:48:26 am »
Still thinking about ice cream maker, storage s a big issue
Jen, you will love your ipad.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: January 04, 2012, 10:44:03 am »
I think I am going to frame the last few posts so that DH realises that I am not the only person on the planet who is influenced  by the professional  ;D  ;D advice from the wonders of the forum - Cookie your name has surfaced regularly when devouring many a batch of icecream  :D  :D  BTW my icecream maker live in our top garage beside the fridge luckily I had the perfect sized desk/table w'out having to buy one  :D  :D

Aha! So you had an ulterior motive in telling us about the special then Robyn lol....
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: January 04, 2012, 10:45:59 am »
We will be waiting a couple of months for ice cream maker but looking at getting the magimix compressor one I think as its more popular over here ... Cuisinart very ard to find a compressor one ....but it's def not on the priority list.  However would come in handy as I can't have a lot of dairy so would be handy making my own alternatives
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/