Author Topic: Persian Love Cake – gluten free by Gerard Yaxley – Qöm Restrauant  (Read 16423 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Name of Recipe: Persian Love Cake

Number of People:  8

Ingredients:

•   1 whole nutmeg
•   45gm pistachios
•   360gm almonds
•   220 gm raw sugar
•   220 gm brown sugar
•   120 gm unsalted butter
•   1 tsp salt
•   2 eggs
•   250 gm Greek-style yoghurt, plus extra to serve

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 170.C

Grind nutmeg for 12 seconds on speed 9. Set aside.

Coarsely chop pistachios by pressing Turbo 3 times. Set aside.

Grind almonds for 4 secs on speed 9. Add sugars , butter and salt. Mix on speed 5 for 15 seconds, using spatula to assist.

Pour half the mixture into a lined and greased 26cm springform pan. Gently press the mixture into the base using a jar or tablespoon.

Add 2 eggs,and nutmeg to TM Bowl. Mix on speed 3 for 10 seconds, stopping after 5 seconds to incorporate ingredients with spatula. Add yoghurt  and mix on speed 3, reverse for 10 seconds. Pour into prepared tin.

Scatter with pistachios around the edge and bake in oven til golden brown, 35 – 40  minutes.

Cool completely in tin on a wire rack to room temperature, then serve with extra yoghurt. Will keep in an airtight container up to one week. (if you hide it)
Photos:

Tips/Hints:

The cake is around 4 cm deep, so also can be made in a pie plate.

Origin:

From a recipe in Australian Gourmet Traveller  

Qöm – Middle Eastern restaurant - Peregian Beach, Sunshine coast, Qld, and adpted by TMX demonstrators in Melbourne.
It had mixed reactions - some found it gritty, but the Melbourne demonstrators who put the TMX conversion together just loved it.

Members' comments

elkieliypad - Made this cake for a party and everyone loved it ! freshly ground nutmeg in the thermomix adds that extra zing !

ITarrant - My cakes are not working. Each time it has stayed very soft in the middle, with a sticky base. The one we tried at a tasting / intro day was divine. Not sure where we've give wrong. Any alterations out there?

Faffa70 - I would think perhaps that they aren't cooked. Are you using a Fan forced oven? I would try turning your temp down by about 10 degrees and cooking them, that way they won't overcook on the top.

ElleG - I have made this three times recently and everyone has loved it. I have tweaked it - have cut the sugar way back and it is still sweet. I use 150g total, a mixture of mainly raw sugar and some rapadura. I add the sugar with the almonds and blitz for a few seconds longer. With my oven I cook for 50 mins, turn off the oven and leave the cake in the oven until the oven is cold. Has turned out perfectly every time. And by the way, family and friends I have cooked the cakes aren't sugar free nuts like we are.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 03:03:46 pm by judydawn »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Persian Love Cake – gluten free by Gerard Yaxley – Qöm Restrauant
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 04:29:36 am »
OMG that sounds divine!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline elkielilypad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 04:09:19 am »
Made this cake for a party and everyone loved it ! freshly ground nutmeg in the thermomix adds that extra zing !
Grain-Free Girl........

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 06:57:03 am »
Good to hear.  It had mixed reactions - some found it gritty, but the Melbourne demonstrators who put the TMX conversion together just loved it
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline ITarrant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 05:00:32 am »
My cakes are not working. Each time it has stayed very soft in the middle, with a sticky base. The one we tried at a tasting / intro day was divine. Not sure where we've give wrong. Any alterations out there?
Iain

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 07:19:37 am »
ITarrant, welcome to the forum!! I would think perhaps that they aren't cooked. Are you using a Fan forced oven? I would try turning your temp down by about 10 degrees and cooking them, that way they won't overcook on the top. Let us know how you get on. Others may have more ideas for you to try. Good luck
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline ITarrant

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 04:12:15 am »
Will try that and let you know.
Thanks

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Just wondering if anyone has tried this lately?  Sounds lovely, but apparently it's not without a problem or two ???.

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
Goldfish, I have made this three times recently and everyone has loved it. I have tweaked it - have cut the sugar way back and it is still sweet. I use 150g total, a mixture of mainly raw sugar and some rapadura. I add the sugar with the almonds and blitz for a few seconds longer.

With my oven I cook for 50 mins, turn off the oven and leave the cake in the oven until the oven is cold. Has turned out perfectly every time. And by the way, family and friends I have cooked the cakes aren't sugar free nuts like we are  :-))

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Thanks, ElleG! I'd love to try this and I'll follow your suggestions.... :)