Author Topic: How do you get the best value out of your Frequent Flyer Points ?  (Read 10388 times)

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
Re: How do you get the best value out of your Frequent Flyer Points ?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 01:00:56 pm »
Just been having a look at my Qantas frequent flyer account and what I can get in gift cards. Gift cards are for a dollar value and yet some gift cards even for the same dollar value, cost more points.

I have worked this out on $500 and some don't have a $500 option but I've calculated it out for the purpose of comparison. So ....,

A Caltex / woolworths fuel card would be 72,500 points
A Woolworths Wish card (for use at all Woolworths brands including Caltex/Woolworths) 72,500 points
Bunnings 72,500 points
BigW 67,500 points
Cruiseco 78,500 points
Harvey Norman 67,500 points
Qantas Holidays 67,500 points
Rydges Hotels 67,500 points

You're buying a dollar value ........... so why should the points be different ?

I was just also looking at a Samsung Galaxy S4. In the FF store it would cost 145,500 points to buy. Harvey Norman has them for $744 (which you could probably bargain down !) ........ so for $750 of Harvey Norman gift cards would be 101,250 points ! That's a huge difference !!

Hmm  Pays to check these things huh.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 01:47:30 pm by Debbiebillg »

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 11:11:49 pm »
We used our FF points to travel to Europe in December we upgraded one leg to business class and premium economy it is still a rip off with the taxes but cheaper than paying

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 11:36:28 pm »
Good thing you are doing the research Deb. This  is big business to the companies that  deal with these FF rewards whch are not necessairly actually owned or run by the airlines.  There are people all over the world and especially in the States that buy swap and sell points.  The dollar value is not determined by the airline except in their setting of the points they require and that changes frequently and sometimes are on sale.

It is a complicated convoluted business. You will see some rewards requiring points plus cash which often mean you have just lost your points  but paid twice the price for your toaster you could have bought on sale. And you pay for delivery There are no free gifts!

The programes are designed to confuse and  befuddle and that is why so many people give up and let their points lapse. If you want to use your points for flights  look for out of season, no holidays either end, no sporting events, places where no bugger wants to go and be persistent . Alternatively you can put it in print, concoct a delicious  story and beg the airline to let you use your points for some special evet in your life. Worked for me once.

Your status level may have some favourable Influence but not necessarily. A lowly status  can get just as lucky on the day. 

If, when you get to the gate you find they want to change your desired seat or bump you down a class then stand your ground, as it is usually some big noting politician wanting your seat for his girlfriend , boyfriend, cousin twice removed or some big donation giver. Look around point your finger. I suggest your middle one. You work hard for these points don't give them up. Oh and keep your phone handy  for the quick pic of the look of surprise when you suggest to the pollie they get stu##ed. Works a treat.

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 11:45:26 pm »
We used our FF points to travel to Europe in December we upgraded one leg to business class and premium economy it is still a rip off with the taxes but cheaper than paying

The taxes are a killer. Sometimes as much or more on domestic flights as the fare.  Be interested Yvette In Knowing what the Premium Economy was like.

And for others

Some airlines do not have these  taxes so if it is a FF partner  with QF say and you can only get out of Aust on QF see if you can book the rest of the trip on the partner airline . You may stil find yourself on a QF aircraft but a code share flight number or visa versa.  You may save some money or points that way.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline beyondbeeton

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 11:58:19 pm »
You are right Gert. Status helps but isn't everything. My DH is platinum so mostly they are very helpful. But still hard to upgrade 3 seats at a time. We have had more luck with upgrading just him and having seats blocked out around DS1 and I. DH and I then swap during the flight. We have done that a few times now and both ended up with J meals.

On the other hand, DH was just a lowly bronze having just started flying for work more often...and he jagged an upgrade from business to a first suite on the A380 to LAX. He enjoyed the experience! His was the only upgrade to F on that flight, apparently it is normally very difficult to get one so the stars must have aligned in his favour!
Mum to two hungry boys born Dec 2010 and July 2013.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 12:07:52 am »
BB you can get lucky. Also if you are not fussy on sitting together it is easier to get an upgrade  as most J class are two by two and often single pax   So you can get lucky there, I always ask for an aisle . We often travel on opposite aisle seats and I have no problem sitting on any aisle seat  or even a bulkhead/ exit  window seat  on my own and neither does DH. With a kindle in my face I have no need to engage with a fellow pax unless he is a cutie.

There are ways  to work the system if you are flexible.

Gert

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2013, 12:16:03 am »
BB also how your son got lucky could be that there was just one seat on the plane available and there was a staff pax needing the seat who was not entitled to first. The system would choose a single pax to move up so the staff or other  pax could be seated.  These  upgrades are usually strictly controlled by the system but the system can be overridden in certain circumstances by some staff. Look the part smile nicely and good things can happen. I bet he is a cutie too.

Gert

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 02:57:42 am »
Gert
I can't seem to work out how you go about booking flights with One World. Do you know how to look at these ? I went on the One World's website but they refer you back to Qantas FF programme, but if you go on that website, it's only Qantas flights that show up in the searches ........... and if you get them to help in person, they charge you to do bookings for you. Is there another way you know of ???

I'm no where near wanting to book flights, but would like to have a play around and see what's there so I can get a feel for how it all works.  It's sooooooooo frustrating, they make it so hard.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 04:55:30 am »
I would go to the one world airline of choice and start there Say emirates and try a booking there. Play with that and then go back to plan an itinerary  on QF . See what come up. Or see if you can phone the other airlines direct without paying.

They are gun a get ya one way or another. Ya gotta be clever to get around all this stuff eh?

I know there is no fuel charge on Emirates anyway.

Gert

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 06:02:10 am »
Thanks Gert will give it a go. Don't want to be charge for just doing some research !