Author Topic: Too hot Chilli Sauce  (Read 9189 times)

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
Too hot Chilli Sauce
« on: July 10, 2012, 12:09:01 am »
I have made some chilli sauce from chilli's in my garden and it is so hot it could peel paint off the walls. (before and after eating it  :o) Yesterday I made a grown man cry and beg me for a glass of milk, he is a chilli head and had tried a tiny bit about 1/8 th of a teaspoon.
So how can I tone it down? Any ideas?
My recipe is:
chillis
sultanas
rice wine vinegar
brown sugar
water
Hubby and I have renamed it ... BYA Chilli Sauce (Burn Your A....... ) Although I'm not too sure if anyone could eat that much to get that far!
All and any suggestions appreciated!

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Too hot Chilli Sauce
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 12:56:15 am »
Oh no, I love hot chilli but that sounds too much  ???

Not sure what to do really other than using it for other sauces using only a small amount or making the sauce omitting the chillis this time and then adding them back into this base mix.

Sorry not much help really  :-\
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 01:09:48 am »
That sounds the way to go knittercook - I'd probably have to make 6 batches without chilli to tone it down to my taste  :-))
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 02:46:56 pm »
I have made some chilli sauce from chilli's in my garden and it is so hot it could peel paint off the walls. (before and after eating it  :o) Yesterday I made a grown man cry and beg me for a glass of milk, he is a chilli head and had tried a tiny bit about 1/8 th of a teaspoon.
Hubby and I have renamed it ... BYA Chilli Sauce (Burn Your A....... ) Although I'm not too sure if anyone could eat that much to get that far!
All and any suggestions appreciated!
This had me laughing when I read your post Nikkit :D :D Nothing like a good chuckle when eating breakfast,my DH asked what was so funny,so I just had to share ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 12:13:00 am »
Knittercook - good idea, I like the "make more batches without the chillis" . And then I read JD's - and she right, I'd need about 6 - no -  make that 66 batches of plain to tone down the chilli in this one.
I think what I'll do is label it with the skull and cross bones and stash it away for those guests who say " oh yeah, I can do chilli". You know the ones - all rough tough and full of bluff.
Plus it'll make a good brew for the chooks/crows when they eat the eggs before I can get out to collect them. I have made a crow sound pretty darned funny before when he ate a wasabi filled egg! Wonder what he'd sound like after this chilli?
Glad you got a laugh CC  :D
Thanks all  :) :)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 12:45:43 am »
Very funny Nikkit. Very visual.

I would say just keep this bottle as a feeder for your next batch. It will last for years. Or you could send it to meeeee ! Xpt that I have too many bottles of chilli  already and am still hanging by the post box for some seeds stacelee has sent me.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 02:39:50 am »
Oh, that would make your lips and even your nose numb. I think Judy's idea is the best. Only add in what you need of the hot sauce.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 06:58:39 am »
Cookie - and everything else it touches. And it should last a fair while at 1/8th of a teaspoon at a time!

Needless to say the guy I made cry (I sound like such a meanie!) his girlfriend would not go near him for ages in case he tried to kiss her. She doesn't like chilli!

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 07:07:08 am »
Who would,have thunk it? One wee bottle of chilli sauce and such a fall out. LOL!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 07:53:05 am »
I would just use it as a flavor enhancer for casseroles etc.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline fertilemertile

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 04:58:41 am »
I would actually love the recipe of the original! My hubby LOVES chilli and always buys the 15/10 rating chilli sauce (normally made with scorpion chilli)

Would love to be able to create my own :-)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 07:24:58 am »
the recipe sounds a similar base to the sweet chilli sauce that I make, when it is too hot, I make another batch using red capsicums instead of chillis and then add the TOO HOT sauce until it has the right amount of heat. I have had a bottle of TOO HOT sauce last for nearly 12 months as a feeder bottle lol but it works  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline stef

• my favorite monkey in antwerp zoo
    • View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 08:26:03 am »
I make a habanero tabacsco style sauce that is richer then the original one, having more flavor instead of the accidic tabasco. It is slightly hotter then tabasco, but does not burn for ages.

I have it here : http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=10345.msg160249#msg160249

You can see it is a vibrant red sauce, that for me still is not hot enough, i plan to make it with ghost chili's this summer, which are about 400 times hotter then tabasco. Can't wait.
Anyway, i suggest you compair your chili recipe with mine. Maybe you will find some idea to tone it down, i would reheat it and add vinegar and sugar, no water!
Live life to the fullest