Author Topic: Varoma Veggies help  (Read 16948 times)

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
Varoma Veggies help
« on: July 19, 2012, 12:48:56 pm »
I have had TMX about a month and only used varoma twice. Tonight I cooked rice and thought I would steam veggies at the same time. By the time the rice was cooked in 15 mins the veggies were barely warm. I put the rice aside topped up the bowl with water and set the TM to cook another 10 mins at the end of the cooking time the veggies were still only half cooked.  It did not see to be heating up top bowl, not much steam either, the vents were not all covered.  Can anyone advise?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Varoma Veggies help
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 12:50:53 pm »
Did you have it set on varoma temperature ghm?  What speed did you use - we generally use speed 3 or 4 to get a good steam happening.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 12:52:14 pm »
yes had it set on varoma used speed three. Was I supposed to use tap water or boiling water from kettle?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 01:41:21 pm »
Most of us use boiling water to speed things up, but it's fine to use tap water. When you reset the TMX cooking after removing the rice the you push the varoma button again?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 02:19:39 pm »
Were your vegies cut up in very large pieces GHM? I usually cut my potatoes the size of dice, and softer vegies just a little bigger than that.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 08:44:30 pm »
My main problem with steaming veggies in the varoma is that I overcook them - I have never yet managed to get my timing right.  I suspect part of the problem is that I very rarely have just one type of vege on the go at one time and, although I try to put the denser / harder ones on first with the softer quicker cooking ones on later, I just never get it right.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 09:39:35 pm »
I always put my potatoes in the basket, then carrots, pumpkin etc in varoma bottom and peas, corn, beans, silverbeet etc in top of varoma. I add 900g cold water to the bowl and set 35min varoma temp speed 1. And they always cook perfectly. I actually don't bother turning the speed up as I find this is spot on :D
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 09:43:35 pm »
I steam my veggies almost every night. A friend of my DD thinks we are weird having veggies nearly every night. I though it was pretty normal to have veggies most of the time? Weekends we usually don't have veggies but will have things like pizza, toasted sandwiches, meat and oven baked chips etc.
How many nights a week does everyone else have veggies?

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 11:46:59 pm »
We have veggies just about every night in some shape or form. Steamed majority of the time  ;) They are cheap, healthy and filling .. especially for large families. I often make dishes and serve extra veg on the side just to make sure it will fill them up  ;)

The size of the veg when steaming is the key to it cooking. I FILL my steamer basket, the varoma bowl and tray and I mean fill and have it cook easy.

As Amy said they need to be smallish. I cut potatoes to around 2cm square, throw them in the rice basket with tap water and put it on for about 35 minutes. Then I start adding my other veg in, carrots (in rings), sweet potato, any other root veg we may be having, brussel sprouts, pumpkin, cauli & broccoli, depending on how much other veg I have in the bowl these may end up on the tray along with beans, spinach, corn, and peas.

I make sure steam can get through on all layers and because I have it so full I use speed 4. It took a little while for me to master this when I first got my TMX, but now I know the size of the veg and it is just automatic. I think there may be some tips in the EDC for steaming veg I can't remember and my book is at the other end of the house in the COLD part lol
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:52:18 pm by faffa_70 »
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 12:04:13 am »
I steam my veggies almost every night. A friend of my DD thinks we are weird having veggies nearly every night. I though it was pretty normal to have veggies most of the time? Weekends we usually don't have veggies but will have things like pizza, toasted sandwiches, meat and oven baked chips etc.
How many nights a week does everyone else have veggies?

I steam vegies every night too Mandi, and I also would have thought that to be normal. But with the growing rate of obesity and health issues in our society today, I'm not surprised to hear that some people skip vegies :-))
The least amount of vegies I'll ever serve with dinner is a side of peas when we have poached eggs and homemade wedges.

If you don't have a good serve of vegies at dinner, how are you supposed to fulfill your 5 serves of vegetables for the day?

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 01:18:33 am »
My friend only cooks veggies once or twice a week for her self and Her DS, the other days she gives her DS a vitamin tablet instead :o.
I don't know about you but I don't think vitamin tablets can replace the real thing. They also don't eat fruit and have lots of frozen packet foods.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 01:25:32 am »
OMG Mandi....
DS takes a banana, apple, mandarin, some grapes and a carrot to school. We have veges most nights.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 02:09:35 am »
I know DG, she seems to think she is doing the right thing but I think it's pure laziness. (I'm glad she's not on the forum lol) my kids eat so much fruit that I wish I had fruit trees, but I'm happy to keep buying fruit if they are eating it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 02:43:23 am »
Mandi that is horrid. We have vegies everynight usually. If we have a pasta dish we will probably have salad and if we have an easy meal (pizza) on the weekend we don't have any extra, only what goes on the pizza when we make them.
We get withdrawal symptoms if we don't have our vegies.

I had to laugh as DH bought some weird orange juice to take to Monkey Mia. We didn't drink it and he has been drinking it at home. It was one that didn't need refrigeration until opened. This morning he said 'look at this'. He has itches all over his body. He hasn't been bitten or anything so we are fairly sure it is the 'chemicals' in the orange juice. He is amazed and I didn't like to say anything like 'I told you so." Poor darling.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 03:10:13 am »
Oh poor DH :D
Better stay clear of that juice from now on ;)