Author Topic: Tenina's For Food's Sake - Links to reviews  (Read 139148 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Re: Tenina's For Food's Sake - Links to reviews
« Reply #165 on: July 03, 2012, 12:34:38 pm »
I'm tempted to buy this book as well. Does anything think it is better then Devil of a Cookbook? And I think In the Mix was the other one I ordered. I should've looked on here before I ordered them, but I didn't realise I could order at the demo before I actually got there, and then it was too late because I couldn't access the forum. So I just picked a couple :-))

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #166 on: July 03, 2012, 12:45:14 pm »
Amy, recommend you read some of the reviews here for in the mix...

Tenina's book is good.

Offline inthekitchen

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 04, 2012, 02:32:35 am »
I've been steadily cooking my way through this book.  It's fantastic!  My kids are addicted to the baguette & I've been using the caramelised onion paste on everything, it's so handy :)

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 04, 2012, 02:40:30 am »
Amy, recommend you read some of the reviews here for in the mix...

Oh... is it really that bad? The book is being delivered this afternoon, I'm a bit scared now! Better go and read some reviews...

Thanks courton :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 04, 2012, 07:25:02 am »
Amy you will find quite a bit in there to cook. It is sort of a coffee table book. Tenina's book is super, but out of stock at the moment.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline alioc

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 04, 2012, 08:33:28 am »
I have Mum's copy of In the Mix and my own of For Food's Sake. So far I've made three recipes from ITM, and they've all been a little disappointing. One was a complete failure (see White Bean Truffled Soup review for my experience), the Hainanese chicken rice was nice but not mind-blowing for the time and effort, and the okonomiyaki were very soft and a bit hard to deal with, although tasty. There are a lot of recipes that look spectacular though more dinner party type food, and given my experiences, I would want to test-run a recipe first before trying it out on guests!

From For Food's Sake, I've made the Cinnamon Scrolls, Caramelised Garlic Paste, Citrus Curd, Flavoured Butter, Chorizo Fajitas, Calzone, Chorizo, Lentil and Sweet Potato soup and Cranberry & Almond Granuesli. All the recipes have worked first time and taste great. I wish there were more books like this - I really like Tenina's flavours.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 04, 2012, 08:58:54 am »
The reason Tenina's recipes work so well is because she tests and tests and tests again. And she does not cook boring food. Also she thinks outside the square about flavour enhancing  food.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 04, 2012, 09:12:58 am »
One recipe that I have to keep making from my kids who've moved interstate is the Granuesli. It is costing me a fortune, and they are going through it like you wouldn't believe  :o I hope they are eating other food...
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 04, 2012, 10:54:26 am »
Amy you will find quite a bit in there to cook. It is sort of a coffee table book. Tenina's book is super, but out of stock at the moment.

When you say a "coffee table" book, do you mean its only good for holding up a crooked coffee table? :-))

The reason Tenina's recipes work so well is because she tests and tests and tests again. And she does not cook boring food. Also she thinks outside the square about flavour enhancing  food.

Gert

I don't actually know very much about Tenina. Maybe I should do some research... :-[

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 04, 2012, 11:33:27 am »
She is coming to the retreat Amy so you will get to meet her then.  We all know her very well on here - she used to be the recipe developer for HO but was very well known even before that and just keeps going onto bigger and better things. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 04, 2012, 01:00:03 pm »
In saying a 'coffee table' book I mean that it would look good as a display on a coffee table. I feel that most of the recipes are for special occasions. My ' For Foods Sake' and 'quick Mix in the Thermomix' live in the kitchen and get splotches on, whereas my In the Mix' lives in another room.
I'm sure you'll try lots of the recipes and give us feed back.

Offline Thermo Mrs

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 05, 2012, 05:49:09 am »
I cannot wait to purchase a copy of this book when the next lot are available! I'm looking forward to making the caramelised garlic spread that everyone is raving about! Hopefully it's not too far away now  :)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 05, 2012, 05:55:29 am »
I think it is now a stable in all our kitchens. To die for.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Miss 50s

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2012, 11:21:02 am »
I've got a copy of this one now from Dymocks back order. I'm not having much luck with thermie at the moment nothing is great that I cook so I'm hoping this will be different. I also got quick fix too.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2012, 01:33:35 pm »
Miss 50's have you tried some of the recipes from the forum? We' d love to help you with any hassles you are having.