Author Topic: Meatballs  (Read 12199 times)

Offline Kuwait Cook

• View Profile
Meatballs
« on: December 22, 2009, 10:25:29 am »
Italian Meatballs (Adapted from a Joy of Cooking recipe)
6-8 servings

Ingredients:  
50g parmesan
30g bread
1 clove garlic
1 onion, 100-120g peeled and quartered
5g parsley
50g tomato paste
40g red wine
1 egg
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
½ tsp oregano
500g lean minced meat

Method
1.   Grate the parmesan by dropping chunks onto the running blades at Speed 8. Tip out and set aside.
2.   Crumb the bread by pulsing the Turbo button. Tip out and set aside
3.   Chop the garlic, onion and parsley 5 seconds/Speed 5.
4.   Add the tomato paste, wine, egg, dry spices and reserved breadcrumbs and parmesan. Mix for 10 seconds/Speed 6
5.   Add the meat and, stirring with the spatula through the hole in the TM lid, mix 15 seconds/Speed 5
6.   Form the meatballs and put them into the oiled Varoma
7.   Pour 1 liter of water into the TM bolw and set the Varoma on the TM lid. Cook 30 minutes/Varoma temperature/Speed 3

members' comments

katesjoy -  tasted delicious. l had it with a tomato/capsicum sauce - flavoursome and filling.

maddy - This was really lovely and I topped it with a tomato/capsicum sauce: http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3504.msg42806#msg42806 with green beans and mashed potato.
Just a couple of notes.......the parsley won't register with scale, so I just used a handful. I used Lumbrusco for the wine (as that's what I was drinking at the time).
The quantity made 19 large meatballs (using 600g minced beef) and I just put some frozen beans on the top tray of varoma.
And at the same time, I cooked potatoes in the steaming basket, with the litre of water, varoma temp/speed 2.
Everything cooked to perfection in the 25 minutes.
Also with the potato, I drained then added 30g butter and cracked pepper (no milk)......and inserted butterfly and mixed 15 seconds/speed 3. I was much happier with the potato.......I think adding milk makes it claggy, IMO anyway.
A great recipe.

Jonico - Outstanding recipe. Took me only 10 minutes or less to prepare 18 meatballs. We made the sauce down below, the potatoes for the mashed potatoes in the basket and the meatballs in the Varoma. 25 minutes and the meal was ready!

Kulsha - Made this tonight, turned out perfect and moist (other meatballs I have attempted have been dry and bland). We had them with wholemeal spaghetti with a simple sauce made from a jar of passata plus 1 tspn each of dry chilli and dry Italian herb mix, all topped with fresh basil and extra Parmesan cheese. Delicious! Next time will try the sauce underneath / in the jug rather than in a separate saucepan.

foodgroupie - Followed the recipe to a T, turned out beautiful love the flavour..... I made the meatballs early in the morning then sauce just before dinner, so quick and simple....
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 05:00:45 am by judydawn »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Meatballs
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 12:10:25 pm »
Thanks for this recipe and welcome to the forum Kuwait Cook.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 12:42:54 pm »
Yes, welcome Kuwait Cook.  I read your recipe but it was remiss of me not to notice it was also your first posting.  Tell us a bit about yourself, where you live, how long you have had your TMX etc. Hope to see a lot more of you in the future.  Enjoy the forum.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 02:18:18 pm »
Welcome Kuwait Cook and thanks for the recipe. Love meatballs as they are such an easy but filling meal for my hungry hoards
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 12:18:14 am »
Welcome Kuwait Cook - thanks for the recipe  :-* :-* :-* 

Wish I had it yesterday morning.  I made 50 meatballs and then got fed up and made the rest of the mix into a meatloaf !!

Like the red wine in there.

Mine just got thrown into the oven on trays - despite my LOVE for the Varoma.  You win brownie points from me for cooking them in the Varoma.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 06:29:03 am »
Welcome to the forum and thanks so much for the recipe.

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 09:14:02 am »
thanks for the recipe!  am cooking it at the moment and it smells delicious.

.... tasted delicious too  :)   l had it with a tomato/capsicum sauce - flavoursome and filling.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 10:11:35 am by katesjoy »

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 11:42:31 am »
This was really lovely, and I topped it with a tomato/capsicum sauce: http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3504.msg42806#msg42806 with green beans and mashed potato.

Just a couple of notes.......the parsley wont register with scale, so I just used a handful.
I used Lumbrusco for the wine (as that's what I was drinking at the time  ;)).
The quantity made 19 large meatballs (using 600g minced beef), and I just put some frozen beans on the top tray of varoma

And at the same time, I cooked potatoes in the steaming basket, with the litre of water, varoma temp/speed 2.

Everything cooked to perfection in the 25 minutes.

Also with the potato, I drained then added 30g butter and cracked pepper (no milk)......and inserted butterfly and mixed 15 seconds/speed 3.
I was much happier with the potato.......I think adding milk makes it claggy  :-\  IMO anyway  ;)

A great recipe anyway Kuwait cook  :D
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 03:07:05 pm »
Look great maddy - think you might be able to teach Lil about the Varoma  ;) ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Jónico

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 09:00:44 am »
Outstanding recipe. Took me only 10 minutes or less to prepare 18 meatballs. We made the sauce down below, the potatoes for the mashed potatoes in the basket, and the meatballs in the Varoma. 25 minutes and the meal was ready!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 09:25:01 am »
Looks great Jonico and maddy I agree with you about adding milk to potatoes for mashing, it isn't necessary most of the time.  I also find speed 3 is far better than speed 4 too, you wouldn't think it would make much difference but it does.

Jonico, how did you make your sauce please?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 09:27:16 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Augusta

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 10:28:04 am »
Hi jonico, the meatballs look great, can I have the recipe for the sauce please, it looks delicious.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 08:41:26 am »
This recipe was featured on Twitter last week.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Slice of Health

• View Profile
    • Slice of Health Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 11:40:44 am »
Made this tonight, turned out perfect and moist (other meatballs I have attempted have Breen dry and bland). We had them with wholemeal spaghetti with a simple sauce made from a jar of passata plus 1 tspn each of dry chilli and dry Italian herb mix, all topped with fresh basil and extra Parmesan cheese. Delicious! Next time will try the sauce underneath / in the jug rather than in a separate saucepan.
Eva, Slice of Health (my personal Thermomix blog)
www.sliceofhealth.com.au
www.facebook.com/sliceofhealthrecipes
Darwin, NT

Offline foodgroupie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 01:29:27 pm »
Followed the recipe to a T, turned out beautiful love the flavour..... I made the meatballs early in the morning then sauce just before dinner, so quick and simple....

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 01:31:16 pm by foodgroupie »