Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 8991022 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #1080 on: July 23, 2009, 05:38:55 am »
Nothing grand going on here either. I've just made some vegie stock so DH can make himself soup while we're in Melbourne. I'd run out and of course he needs it and doesn't know how to make it. :P
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: July 23, 2009, 06:13:11 am »
Are you going on another shopping spree -  to Melbourne this time Cookie1?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: July 23, 2009, 08:40:44 am »
I have just christened my new oven and made a herb and garlic pull-apart loaf (thanks Cookie1) and it worked!!  The first time I tried one of these loaves it had the texture of scones, not bread but this time it turned out beautifully.  I also made a batch of salmon patties to fry up for tea and a tuna/corn mornay as well.  We had our water turned off this morning - oh what fun, trying to clean the TMX with limited water but I got there.  I ended up rinsing it out with a bottle of mineral water I had in the fridge.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: July 23, 2009, 10:34:03 am »
Yes Judy. DD has a conference on oncology on the weekend and she invited me along. I will have the weekend to do my own thing and then the 2 of us will have a few days. I dooubt if I will buy very much as I spent up in Singapore, but you never know.

Glad your pull apart worked well. I love having some of it in the freezer.  I must make it like cinnamon scrolls as someone suggested. Trouble is I'll eat it all.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #1084 on: July 23, 2009, 12:14:10 pm »
the last time i made it i divided it in 2 to make 2 different flavours - one lot (the first) came out like a pullapart but the other was like a croissant! i think it was a result of leving it sit too long and possibly overworking it. so i suggest making sure your butter is ready before you start and perhaps leaving it for a little less time and definitely not more
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #1085 on: July 23, 2009, 01:51:47 pm »
This evening I made rice & almond milk and had a go at Jo's homemade dairy free chocolate, however had a few issues with the sugar not melting and sitting like sludge in the bottom  ??? . To top that off I had a quick un-co moment of the wrist and somehow flicked a heap of it on the floor  :'( :-X - at least the tiles will be shiny with all that coconut oil  ;) ;D ;D  :-))

Oh and Miss 3 made LTMs too.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:07:05 pm by I Love Bimby! »
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: July 24, 2009, 10:10:06 am »
Tonight we're having chicken schnitzel sandwiches.  I made parmesan breadcrumbs (more like sand really, I think I overdid the blitzing).  Nice home made coleslaw, on homemade bread I made today.  Has anyone ever encountered those appalling schnitzels made from 'fake' chicken?  By fake I mean the shreds of flesh, skin and cartilage that's compressed and shaped and passed off as "fillet".  I've become very wary of these in most take away shops, but it even happened to me in a hotel I was staying in in Brisbane when I ordered a club sandwich. I sent it back and asked for real chicken. Aircraft meals are another source of this disgusting "non-food".  Does anyone else share my horror at this sort of crap?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: July 24, 2009, 10:29:21 am »
I'll put my hand up to support you on that issue Paul - I always ask is it made out of real chicken fillets ;) ;) ;)  I hate fake anything.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: July 24, 2009, 11:05:07 am »
For tea tonight we had a recipe from the Antonio Carluccio's Passion for Pasta cookbook that I won a bit back. I converted it for the TMX and I hope Thermomixer is reading this ;D ;D ;D as he sent it to me. It was  Rigatoni with Pork Ragout and I will post it in mains - served it with some steamed vegies.  Recipe says serves 4 but in this household it would serve 8 so I have frozen some of the sauce for next time and only cooked 1/2 the amount of pasta.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #1089 on: July 24, 2009, 11:06:26 am »
Good work JD - at last !!!  :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #1090 on: July 24, 2009, 11:08:21 am »

... Has anyone ever encountered those appalling schnitzels made from 'fake' chicken? ......  Does anyone else share my horror at this sort of crap?

A friend bought me a schnitzel sandwich - thinking they were being kind and generous - it was one of the reconstituted fillets.

Reminded me of the Fawlty Towers episode with the Norwegian Veal Substitute  :o :o :o
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: July 24, 2009, 11:40:05 am »
Good work JD - at last !!!  :-*
You've got the book too Thermomixer, how did I go with my converstion.  Would you do it differently? You are the expert so I will bow down to your superior knowledge if you want to change anything.  Having said that, you would be the first man I've ever bowed to ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #1092 on: July 24, 2009, 12:04:11 pm »
Today I made some pumpkin soup for lunch and a loaf of bread using Cyndi O'Meara's super protein mix (very nice).  I also made some peanut butter, but it didn't work very well as the peanuts were roasted (I didn't realise).  Tonight I made the stew and buttermilk dumplings from the Budget Busters booklet.  It went down very well on a chilly Tassie night.  I substituted chopped celery for one of the carrots and added a big spoonful of homemade relish and a splash of Worcestershire sauce for extra flavour.
Chelsea  :)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #1093 on: July 24, 2009, 12:59:13 pm »
chelsea, use your 'peanut butter' for satay sauce?!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #1094 on: July 24, 2009, 03:07:54 pm »
...I also made some peanut butter, but it didn't work very well as the peanuts were roasted (I didn't realise).  ...

I used to make peanut butter with roasted peanuts - what was the problem - do you need to add some oil to make it more spreadable?
Thermomixer in Australia