Author Topic: Herman the German Friendship Cake  (Read 80583 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Re: Herman the German Friendship Cake
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2012, 10:41:03 am »
Cherries soaked in kirsch sounds delicious!  Forgot to take a photo of Herman, but I have his grandson back in my kitchen!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2012, 10:46:53 am »
Cherries soaked in kirsch sounds delicious!  Forgot to take a photo of Herman, but I have his grandson back in my kitchen!
Did your friends enjoy making Herman MJ?
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 15, 2012, 07:15:40 pm »
I have a Herman going in my kitchen.  I started him a few weeks ago but am careful not to share him all out at once so that I keep a bit for me and to give out another time.  We've deviated somewhat from the cake recipe and have now converted it to chocolate with cocoa powder, chocolate chips and sometimes a banana.  I confess that I'm not exact with ingredients and weights since he seems to be such a forgiving cake.

I like to make several on a Friday - the boys use it as "breakfast" cake on the weekends so I don't have to get up quite so early ;)

Nik xx
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2012, 05:55:33 pm »
Yay another Herman success. ;D
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

stacelee

Re: Re: Herman the German Friendship Cake
« Reply #154 on: May 19, 2012, 04:42:02 am »
Herman actually has his own website..... http://www.hermanthegermanfriendshipcake.com/ . My starter is now bubbling away quite happily.  Herman is snuggled next to my dehydtrator keeping nice and warm.  If there is anyone in Brisbane who would like a son of Herman in five days please let me know.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 19, 2012, 07:23:17 am »
Blimey stacelee I never knew that,it's amazing what you find on the web.Good luck with Herman ;) :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 19, 2012, 02:53:03 pm »
Herman and all his brothers and sisters were baked for up here and he is very popular at morning tea. Everyone likes him CC.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 19, 2012, 07:10:40 pm »
Herman and all his brothers and sisters were baked for up here and he is very popular at morning tea. Everyone likes him CC.
That's good news Cookie ;D

stacelee

« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2012, 01:59:13 am »
Another website that might give inspiration for uses of Herman....http://www.friendshipbreadkitchen.com/recipe-box . Lots of recipes using Amish Friendship Bread starter (which is basically what Herman is I think).  Only five more days till BAKE day here.  I'm going to have to find a nicer container to keep Herman in....he's in a bright green Tupperware container and neither he or I think it is very nice.  I have a Temuka crock that I found at Lifeline the other day that I think he might be happier in...just need to measure to see if he will fit....it would be nice to have a practical use for it (I collect temuka but we use it as well)

stacelee

« Reply #159 on: May 25, 2012, 02:11:00 am »
I baked my first herman a day early yesterday and gee is he yummy.  Half has already disappeared and the other half apparently will not last the day.  Herman also became a loaf of bread....which according to my son is very very good.  I did take photos but they are currently on my iPad.  Luckily I haven't given any of Herman away again because I NEED to make a chocolate Herman tomorrow for the eldest brat.  The youngest hasn't put her order in yet but managed to eat two enormous slices for breakfast so I'm sure it is coming.  I might try cutting the sugar down a little next time as it is VERY sweet.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 25, 2012, 07:42:42 am »
I agree stacelee Herman is very sweet. :)

stacelee

« Reply #161 on: June 03, 2012, 11:31:05 am »
Herman is not as sweet any more.  He has gone on a sugar free diet and is now enjoying regular feedings of just milk and flour.  Touch wood he is enjoying this greatly and is contributing to pikelets, bread and most recently a chocolate cake.  Tomorrow he will help out with some banana chic chip muffins.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 03, 2012, 11:33:08 am »
Yay! a slimmer Herman :D :D :D

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 03, 2012, 11:39:00 am »
I have been meaning to try my own Herman since I first read this thread a month ago! But has been getting very cold here and I am worried Herman might not like the cold :(

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 03, 2012, 11:58:55 am »
Amy this would be a great cake for the stall  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian