Author Topic: Pumpkin, Chickpea and Spinach Satay  (Read 13633 times)

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
Pumpkin, Chickpea and Spinach Satay
« on: August 19, 2010, 02:35:05 pm »
I made this today from a Sanitarium recipe. TMX did prep but I made it on the stove top. but I have tried to convert it and next time I  will do it all in TMX. Not if you are going to TMX it, halve the ingrediants. Will still serve 6.

This is a great, easy kid friendly curry. Can easily make GF and Nut free. Is already Vegan.

2 tsp peanut oil ( I used macaedamia) (Grapeseed for nut free)
1 onion - chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed (used 4)
2 tsp grated ginger (could double I reckon)
1 long red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped (optional - didn't use b/c kids would whinge. Might have been good to sprinkle on top of mine at table - not needed though)
700g pumpkin - shopped into 2-3cm chunks (used one of dad's heirloom ones - VERY sweet - I think it made the curry)
165ml reduced fat cooconut milk (I used 270ml coconut cream)
1/2 c vegetable stock
2 c cauliflwer florets
1/2 c crunchy peanut butter (Sunflower seeds crushed for nut free or just leave it out)
1 tbsp soy sauce (tamari for GF)
2 tsp brown sugar (taste it before you add - it is damn sweet)
400g can chickpeas if you can't be assed doing your own
1/c c chopped coriander
60g baby spin leaves

* if you didn't care about Veg you could add a splash of fish sauce and lemon juice IMO

I added firm tofu at the end and also waterchestnuts. Could add bamboo shoots too. Yum

1. heat oil in large saucepan and cook onion for 4-5 mins. Add garlic , ginger and chilli and cook for 1 min.
2. add pumpkin and stir to combine. Add coconut milk and stock and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer, covered for 6-8 mins till pumpkin is tender
3. Add cauliflower florets and cook 3-4 mins till tender. Add everything (cept baby spin and coriander and lemon juice if using) else and stir to heat through. take off heat, stir through coriander and baby spin, pop a bit more coriander on top. Serve with brown rice.

I did find the veges were a bit overcooked - I didn't mind the pumpkin b/c it dissolves into a beautiful sauce but I thought the cauliflower couldn't been a bit more crunchy. Green beans or broccali would be good instead of cauli too.

easy TMX one too - halve the ingrediants.

First cook chickpeas, remove from bowl.

Second - cook brown rice - remove and place in thermoserver ready for tea.

Third make your peanut butter, remove from bowl.

(these above just do as you would normally do - instructions in EDC and Vego book)

Step 1. Now - pop garlic ginger in bowl - S7 10 secs or until fine enough, add onion, S6 4 secs or until fine enough.

Step 2 - oil in 100deg, Speed 1, 2 mins. Add onion, garlic, ginger for 4 mins

Step 3 - add pumkin, stock , coco cream. 100 deg, Reverse and Soft, 8 mins. Check if tender - can increase time

Step 4 - add everything else (cept baby spin and coriander), 90 deg, Reverse and speed soft, 4 mins - check cooked to satisfaction.

Step 5 - add baby spin - reverse and speed soft, 2 min

Serve - add coriander to plates.

Julia83C: Made this for dinner tonight, using silverbeet in place of the spinach. Beautiful satay flavour

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 05:10:35 pm by Cornish Cream »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Pumpkin, Chickpea and Spinach Satay
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 01:07:09 am »
Great idea.  Thanks for sharing that one zebraa - makes it easier to find something for when the vegans come around.

Sometimes the mind goes blank.

Hope Gerty sees it.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JuliaC83

• View Profile
Re: Pumpkin, Chickpea and Spinach Satay
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 11:23:29 am »
Made this for dinner tonight, using silverbeet in place of the spinach. Beautiful satay flavour :)
Happily married since 27/03/2004
DS1 2007 Neuroblastoma survivor, Autism, ADHD
DS2 2009
Student Midwife - will graduate at the end of 2014