Author Topic: Mums Meat Slice  (Read 23648 times)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Mums Meat Slice
« on: April 25, 2011, 11:18:38 am »
Name of recipe:[/b]  Mums Meat Slice[/b]

Number of People:  6-8

Ingredients:

3 sheets puff pastry
500g roll of sausage mince
2 carrots peeled and chopped
2 medium onions quartered
1 clove garlic
3 small potatoes quartered
2 spring onions, chopped
1 cup corn kernals (I use frozen)
1 pkt. chicken noodle soup (45g)
1 pkt. 2 minute noodles broken into small bits (discard flavour sachet)
salt & lots of cracked pepper, or to taste.

Preparation:

Pre-heat oven to 220c.
Line a 37x27 tray with greaseproof paper, extending slightly over the ends.

Place chopped carrots in the jug, and chop for 3 seconds, speed 5.
Add in the onions, garlic and potato.  Chop for 3 seconds, speed 6.
Snip the spring onion in with scissors, add in the corn, chicken noodle soup, 2 minute noodles, sausage mince,  and season with salt & pepper to taste.
Mix all together for 1 minute,   :-: speed 3, and use the TM spatula to help push down and mix in the ingredients whilst mixing.

Defrost your puff pastry sheets.  Use 2 sheets for the bottom, and overlap the pastry slightly in the centre of the tray.
Spoon the filling on top, leaving about 5 cm border of pastry.

Fold the edges of pastry over the filling, then lay the final pastry sheet on top, and tuck under.
Brush the top with some milk, use a fork to poke holes over the surface, and make 3 slits in the pastry.

Place in oven and cook for 30 minutes on 220c........then when that time has elapsed, turn the temperature down to 180c, and cook for a further 40 minutes.

Not a very creative recipe name, but that's all we knew it as  :)  Kind of like a giant sausage roll!  
Was comfort food for my Brother and I, and we always had it with mashed potato, hollowed out for a pool of gravy  8)
Mum always put peas in it.....ICK.....I always picked them out  :D......now I'm in control, and they don't get added  ;D

members' comments

johnro - This was so tasty and enjoyed by all at the table (only 3 people!!!!!!). I did add the peas. Thank your Mum for a great family dish - pleased that you posted it, Maddy.  

dede - Thanks Maddy for the recipe., We had this with whole potatoes (Not mashed) and I didn't add the peas although we do like peas, I just forgot. Anyway everyone (7 of us) ate it all up. Was a 5 out of 5 for us and will definitely be making this again. Kind of like a savoury roll. Yummy. This is a favourite of ours Maddy, we all love it.

CC - everyone enjoyed it Maddy. I did add peas. Served it with mashed spuds, steamed broccoli and gravy.

KarenH - We have had this for dinner for the last 3 nights and it is wonderfully yummy!  We ate it with sweet chilli sauce and a simple salad.  All of us loved it and it is definitely on the "make again" list.  Thanks for passing on one of your Mum's recipes maddy - family recipes are really special.

Twitterpated - it was declared a "keeper" by the whole family. Increased the amounts slightly and used beef and pork mince to use up what I had. Thanks heaps Maddy, another recipe to treasure.

Kimmyh - it is lovely. Made heaps for us so have frozen half. Thank you.

KarenH - I made this filling today to make individual "pocket pies" for the kids for lunches.  I just cut each sheet of puff pastry into 4, dolloped on the filling, folded it over, sealed with a fork and used egg wash. Very tasty and a favourite with adults and kids alike.  As individual pies, easy to pack for school/kindy.

suzanne - this was delicious.  I spread the filling onto two sheets of pastry rolled them up and cooked as per recipe. Once done I sliced and called them pinwheels because when I originally told the kids we were having meat slice they turned their noses up.  I sent them off to play, changed the name of it and continued making it. I  served it up and 5 out of 6 enjoyed it thoroughly.

Wonder - I called it a giant sausage roll and DS seemed to be happy with that. I wasn't home when the family ate but there was about half of it gone so guess they thought it was ok.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 08:36:21 am by judydawn »
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mums Meat Slice
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 12:11:21 pm »
Sounds very tasty maddy - our Mum's were good at comfort food weren't they (or aren't they if they are still cooking).
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 01:40:00 am »
True Judy.  She isn't an adventurous cook, but made the old favourites.  She really doesn't cook that much as my Dad does most of it these days, even when I was a kid.    He always has been adventurous, and makes some wonderful dishes.
He makes the best beef black bean, all from scratch.  I remember he would spend all day in the kitchen making a banquet of delish Chinese foods.
His potato salad is the best I've eaten, and on special occasions he makes fabulous Ollie bollen (Dutch doughnuts) ever!!
I have his 3 card instructions for making them  :-\ but I will have a go to replicate them to be thermomix friendly  ;)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 07:45:33 am »
Maddy did you line the peas up around the edge of your plate? I love peas but would do that with other foods I didn't like.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 10:20:58 am »
Maddy did you line the peas up around the edge of your plate? I love peas but would do that with other foods I didn't like.

LOL.....no I didn't Cookie......but I always had a serviette at the table, and spat out what I didn't like whilst no one was looking  :P
My Brother was worse.....half his meal was in those serviettes under the table  :D
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 08:46:12 am »
Made this last night and was so tasty and enjoyed by all at the table (only 3 people!!!!!!)  BTW Maddy I did add the peas.......but cookie I do remember as a child hiding beans under the lip of  bunnikins (so was obviously very young) bowl (we used to call this 'under the bank').  Thank your Mum for a great family dish - pleased that you posted it, Maddy.  Cheers  :)  :) 
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 12:17:02 am »
  BTW Maddy I did add the peas.......

.......well who's a big girl then   ;)  LOL  I think I will loathe peas for life !!!!  :P
Glad you enjoyed it.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 08:39:56 am »
My DD isn't keen on peas either,according to her they just clone on your plate,you scoop up a forkfull and more appear. :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 09:04:56 am »
Not if you put mashed potato on your fork and dip it in the peas CC - easiest way to eat them I have found.  I love peas, especially the frozen baby pea variety.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 12:47:01 pm »
Thanks Maddy for the recipe, We had this tonight with whole potatoes (Not mashed) and I didnt add the peas although we do like peas I just forgot. Anyway everyone (7 of us) ate it all up. Was a 5 out of 5 for us and will definitely be making this again. Kind of like a savoury roll. Yummy.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 07:52:49 pm »
I made this for our supper this evening,everyone enjoyed it Maddy.I did add peas :D :D Served it with mashed spuds,steamed broccoli and gravy.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 12:09:51 pm »
This is a Favorite of ours Maddy, We all love it. Thought I would add a photo of my Meat slice before it went in the oven (Kids loved it)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 12:41:21 pm »
thats funny dede, before it goes into the oven the kids read YUM...when it comes out the pastry is all golden brown and puffed and they read YUM again, when they eat it what else can they say but YUM -- thats brainwashing isn't it?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 12:46:51 pm »
lol CreamPuff, I never thought of it like that.
So your saying if I filled it full of only Veggies they will still think its Yum?......... Worth a try.........

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 02:31:33 pm »
LOL....love it dede!  8)
.........EAT CAKE!