Author Topic: Jamie Oliver's Fish Pie  (Read 20025 times)

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
Jamie Oliver's Fish Pie
« on: June 26, 2011, 05:39:42 am »
Although there are other fish pie recipes on this forum, I thought this one different enough to post. This fish pie is light (no white sauce), and although the recipe looks long, quite easy. Use whatever fish you like. We like salmon, smoked cod and prawns (total cost just under $20 at local fishmonger)
Serves 4-6
Ingredients
• 150g good Cheddar cheese cubed
• 4 sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley
• 1 carrot cut into chunks
• 2 sticks of celery cut into chunks
• 1kg potatoes, peeled
• ½ a fresh red chili (I use a “grind” of dried chili flakes)
• 1 lemon
• 300g salmon fillets, skin off and bones removed
• 300g undyed smoked haddock fillets, skin off and bones removed
• 125g king prawns, raw, peeled
• olive oil
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• optional: a handful of spinach, chopped
• optional: a couple of ripe tomatoes, quartered.
Method
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Grate cheese 6 seconds/speed 8. Put in to a deep baking tray or earthenware dish.
3. Add the parsley leaves and stalks, carrot and celery to bowl and chop 5 seconds/speed 5. Add to baking tray. (Original recipe has vegies coarsely grated.)
4. Put 500 g water in the TMX bowl. Chop the potatoes into 2cm cubes and fill the rice basket. Put basket in bowl and cook the potatoes 20 minutes/Varoma temperature/speed 1.
5. While the potatoes are cooking, finely chop chili, zest the lemon and add both to baking tray.
6. Cut the fish into bite-size chunks and add to the baking tray with the prawns.
7. Squeeze the juice from the zested lemon (no seeds) over the fish, drizzle with a little olive oil and salt and pepper to taste
8.Add spinach or tomatoes to the baking tray if you are including them.
9. Mix everything well.
10. When the potatoes are cooked, take the basket of potatoes out of TMX and empty water from the bowl. Insert the butterfly. Place the cooked potatoes into the bowl and add 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Mash 20 seconds/speed 3-4 or until smooth.
11. Spread mash evenly over the top of the fish mix
12. Bake about 40 minutes, or until potatoes are golden on top.
Serve immediately.
Tips
We like this with a simple crisp salad or steamed vegies. Jaime says to serve this with tomato ketchup, baked beans, steamed veg or a green salad. (Really not sure about the ketchup or baked beans)
If you want extra creaminess, add a few tablespoons of crème fraîche to the fish but IMHO it's not necessary.
We like this in a large dish so the pie is thin and there is lots of golden mashed potato on top.
Sorry the pics are a bit out of focus :)

Recipe from http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/fish-pie

Members' comments
Allez - This was SO quick and and simple ..... and very yummy. A fish pie is normally such an effort - I will definitely do this again for a dinner party. I love Jamie Oliver's recipes - so it was great to see this converted for the thermomix ..... especially for a newbie like me.

wombat - This is a major standout!!! Everyone whinged and complained when they found out what iIwas making as fish pie is something I have never done before. We are a very fussy family with food and always love to tweak recipes but this one received almost a standing ovation and next time there will be no changing the recipe....it is that good. We didn't have anything else with it and it was perfect.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 03:41:30 am by judydawn »
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Jamie Oliver's Fish Pie
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 05:50:33 am »
You are on a roll with your recipe posting today djinni373.  Looks good and like you, can't imagine a seafood pie with tomato sauce or baked beans but maybe that is an English thing.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 06:05:51 am »
Baked beans with fish pie.........no it is certainly not an English thing. (though I suppose you can have anything you fancy. The norm would be something green, French beans or peas etc. I was always taught not to have all shades of yellow on a plate.
DD
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 06:47:00 am »
Thanks DD - I knew one of the English roses would come on and either agree or disagree with Jamie  ;)  From one country to another things are never the same and you are right, we can eat whatever we want even if it doesn't seem to go together.

I had English friends staying with me once whilst they were looking for a house (second time back in Australia) and the look on his face when I served T-bone steak, chips and salad.  I wondered what the heck was the problem but his wife explained they don't eat hot and cold foods together :D  Was it just them or is that another English no-no. This was about 35 years ago.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 08:52:23 am »
I haven't tried this version of Jamie's Fish Pie, thanks djinni373.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 09:02:23 am »
Yes, I think that was the thinking 35 years ago but steak with salad is a popular choice now. I am still not keen on putting salad with a steak that has a sauce though, like steak Diane for instance. One thing I am not happy with is meat with a gravy or brown coloured sauce and a vegetable with a white sauce on. I can't go along with that on the same plate.
Maybe that will come into fashion too.
DD
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 09:02:58 am »
It is a little different to the fish pies I've made so that makes it worth trying.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 09:15:19 am »
It's a pleasure Cornish Cream. It's nice to be able to give back a little to this forum.

Yes Cookie it is different to all the fish pies I have had. Hope you enjoy it.

Offline Allez

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 09:10:40 am »
Fantastic.  I am going to make Jamie's fish pie today and had been wondering how to adapt it for the thermomix ...... and found your post.  THANKYOU  ;D ..... will let you know how I get on.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 02:09:57 pm »
Hi Allez and welcome to the forum.
Hope you enjoy the fish pie. It's one of our family favourites. :)

Offline Brooke-MyLittleThermomix

• View Profile
    • My Little Thermomix
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 05:01:27 am »
This looks good - I think we'll add it to this week's menu plan.  Thanks for sharing!

Offline Allez

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 09:45:58 pm »
Made if yesterday and it was SO quick and and simple ..... and very yummy  :-*
A fish pie is normally such an effort - I will definitely do this again for a dinner party.
I love Jamie Oliver's recipes - so it was great to see this converted for the thermomix ..... especially for a newbie like me  :-))

Thanks again.

Ally

Offline wombat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 01:54:41 am »
Just made this recipe last night and it is a major standout!!!
Everyone whinged and complained when they found out what i was making as fish pie is something I have never done before.
We are a very fussy family with food and always love to tweak recipes but this one received almost a standing ovation and next time there will be no changing the recipe....it is that good.
We didn't have anything else with it and it was perfect. ;D

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 05:50:59 am »
So glad you liked it Wombat. It is an unusual (but very delish) fish pie. Jamie is probably my favourite celebrity chef.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 06:35:12 am »
I'll have to try this.  I have loads of fish and prawns in the freezer.
Jamie is the one chef I watch on TV now,
30 Minute Meals.

Robyn :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url