Author Topic: Failsafe bread recipe (gluten and dairy free)??  (Read 7228 times)

Offline Daisy

• View Profile
Failsafe bread recipe (gluten and dairy free)??
« on: August 05, 2011, 01:06:14 pm »
I am very excited ... get my thermomix delivered tomorrow ... so many lovely recipes I just don't know where to start!!

Does anyone have a Failsafe recipe for bread that is also gluten and dairy free?

One of the reasons I have bought the thermie is to stop paying $8.50 for a loaf of bread for my son.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Failsafe bread recipe (gluten and dairy free)??
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 02:16:05 pm »
Is this recipe any good for your dietary requirements Daisy.
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3521.0
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Daisy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 11:21:30 am »
Thanks CC, could adapt this .... can't have the seeds, vinegar or olive oil.  Can use canola oil, but not sure what would be a vinegar alternative and why (other than flavour) it would be in the recipe ... any ideas???

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 01:10:46 pm »
Vinegar is used in baking usually with baking powder to produce carbon dioxide to give batters a lift.I am afraid I don't know what you could use instead.Maybe if you contacted Quirkycooking,Jo, she might be able to help you.I know Jo's sister follows a Failsafe diet.
http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Daisy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 11:02:19 am »
thanks for that CC! 

Offline Purplehat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 05:48:19 am »
I have similar requirements, but given up trying to make my own bread from scratch. I just can't find a recipe that is perfect. I hope you don't mind me suggesting this, but I use a bread mix.  ;)

The one I use is from IGA, but it's a direct copy of The Real Bread Mix (available in Coles). I get the IGA Signature Gluten Free Bread Mix. It's ingredients are: Maize Starch, Potato Starch, Flaxseed Flour, Psyllium, Pea Protein.
You add: sugar, salt, dried yeast, water.
I add eggs too, because we can eat them and it makes the bread more filling.

It's the best gf/df bread I've ever eaten. I just made a batch in Thermie, and put the wet ingredients in first (I put in 4 eggs first, then bring the water up to the required amount), then the dry, mix it for 5 seconds on speed 7. Then I put it in closed-lid position, and mixed it on the dough setting for 1:30 seconds. After that, I 'pour' it into the bread maker to rise and cook. :) I'm VERY lazy, I know!  :D

Offline Daisy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 01:46:39 am »
Thanks so much PH!  Will see if I can chase up some of the bread mixture. 

I converted the Failsafe bread recipe from the Friendly Food cookbook and whilst I found it OK (needs a bit more tweaking), little man didn't like it all.