Author Topic: Bangers and Mash in a Tasty Onion Gravy  (Read 124801 times)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: Bangers and Mash in a Tasty Onion Gravy
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2011, 02:23:50 am »
Fantastic!  ;D

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2011, 12:35:17 pm »
 :D we just had this for dinner - BIL and his wife were here too, only prob was BIL doesn't like mashed potatoes, so DH deep fried them after steaming - were yum! 5yo - who doesn't like sausages - had a second helping, 2yo - who likes anything she doesn't have to swallow!! - actually cleared her plate, 9mo - who eats ANYTHING (food or otherwise) - had all she was offered. DH gave it 5/5, BIL was 10/10, SIL said "very yum, can I have the recipe??!" (she has a TM too) so I think a very big THANK YOU is in order from here! Thank you so much for our delicious easy tea!!  :D
:D

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2011, 09:06:56 am »
No worries.  I'm glad you enjoyed it. It is super easy.  :)

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2011, 11:46:01 am »
Made this tonight. I used a larger onion as that was all I had.  I mashed the spuds but must have done it too long as it was more of a puree than mash. I am still on my L plates so that's probably why.  I haven't made them in the beast before. The gravy was good but looked insiped. It was yummo though.  The gravy was too thick for me - next time I would only. Use half the cornflour but that is my personal preference not the recipe.

All in all it was really good, will def make again.   4.5/5 thanks for sharing

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2011, 02:31:00 pm »
quite often I will stop a couple of secs before its specified because I want to have a look at the size of the chopped mix. Better to be able to chop 1 or 2 secs more than have a mush on hand. I do like my veges chopped more rustic.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2011, 05:17:06 pm »
Hi Wonder, when I had this problem with my kids I just served it up again but usually with a fantastic new name. I gave the kids fish and called it water chicken as they didn't like fish. They also didn't like pumpkin soup so I poured it over cooked pasta and called it pasta with a creamy orange sauce. They loved it! The trick with some kids is to try, try, try again. With others you just give up and cook something else.  ;D

Love 'water chicken', what a great name!

I have a bout of insomnia tonight and am browsing the forum, something I rarely have time to do lately. I can't believe I haven't seen this recipe! Will get some sausages tomorrow and make it for tea. We have butcher sausages at our local store and they're delicious any which way.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2011, 06:55:36 am »
I made this tonight and we fully enjoyed it, thanks Chelsea.  :)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2011, 08:38:33 am »
Julie, that looks great, did you cook the sausages in the varoma and did  you leave the skins on?

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2011, 09:25:54 am »
Hi Wonder.  Yes I cooked it all in the TM except for the potatoes, prefer other methods for them, and yes, the skins stayed on.  ;D

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2011, 12:38:30 pm »
This recipe is always a winner - another great pic Julie  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2011, 02:47:23 pm »
Hmm... I wasn't keen on the steamed sausages and I need to make the gravy tastier. The guys in the family scoffed it though!
I didn't use mushrooms, only onion. I used my own chicken stock and it wasn't at all salty, that was probably the issue.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2011, 09:17:09 am »
Beef stock and mushies add the flavour. Can't win them all.  :D

Offline Carrie

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 01, 2012, 02:48:49 pm »
I make this with just the EDC vegetable stock concentrate, and use a good 2 handfuls of button mushrooms instead of the brown. It makes a delicious sauce, it's a family favourite here. :) Thanks Chelsea.
Mama at home with my 4yo additive sensitive son, feeding family of 3 and a furbaby easily with my Thermie.

Offline LucyJane

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2012, 08:49:20 am »
I tried this tonight, and it wasa great success! But it really looked like none of the photos posted. I added mushrooms to the gravy but maybe too many as the potatoes ended up sitting in the gravy and so ended up grey! It took a little while to convince DD4 to eat it (she had declared she didn't like gravy), but when she and DS1 tried it they were hooked. But did I do something wrong that the potatoes were such a bizzare colour?

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2012, 08:52:50 am »
I find that if I put in any more than 2 medium sized mushrooms the potatoes end up quite grey. They taste yummy but don't look appealing.  :)