Author Topic: Easy Mayonaise  (Read 18186 times)

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
Re: Easy Mayonaise
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 06:24:31 am »
I want to make mayonnaise today for the first time. I thought I had all the ingredients but I don't have the right oil.  On hand I have canola oil, peanut oil, walnut oil or rice bran oil.  Does anyone know if any of those will be OK or is it off to the shops again!!!!!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 06:29:05 am »
I use peanut oil when making mayo.  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 06:31:30 am »
Here's Amy's list of what oils can be used for GHM,

AVOCADO OIL - rich in healthy monounsaturated fats and vitamins A, D and E. Has a mild flavour and can be used to saute meat, fish or chicken, or make salad dressings.

RICE BRAN OIL - rich in vitamin E and healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, but also has a high saturated fat content compared to other plant-based oils. Widely used in deep-fried Asian dishes.

VEGETABLE OIL - usually a blend of canola and soybean oils, but can sometimes contain palm oil which is best avoided due to its high saturated fat content. Nutrition differs due to different blends.

CANOLA OIL - high in healthy monounsaturated fat, and has one of the lowest saturated fat contents of all oils. Also contains heart-healthy omega-3 fats. Suitable for both high and low heat cooking, and is also widely used to make reduced-fat table spreads and mayonnaise.

LIGHT OLIVE OIL - milder than extra virgin olive oil. In this case, "light" does not refer to nutrition. It refers to the lighter colour and milder flavour.

PEANUT OIL - moderately high in healthy monounsaturated fats. Good for stir-fries and does not absorb or transfer flavours during cooking.

SUNFLOWER OIL - rich in vitamin E and low in saturated fat. Very mild flavour and can be used in most types of cooking.

SESAME OIL - has a rich, nutty taste. Well-suited to high-heat cooking or cold Asian-style salads.

GRAPESEED OIL - rich in healthy polyunsaturated fats. Can be used in high heat cooking or cold dishes.

MACADAMIA OIL - very high in healthy monounsaturated fats. Has a strong, nutty flavour and is suitable for high-heat cooking or salad dressings.

EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL - primarily contains healthy monounsaturated fats. Best used for dressings, marinades, sauces and low heat cooking, but can also be used for high heat cooking.

COCONUT OIL - almost 90% saturated fat. This oil is best avoided.

WALNUT OIL - contains one of the lowest levels of saturated fat of all oils. Has a rich, nutty flavour and is best for cold dishes such as dressings, sauces and dips.

FLAXSEED/LINSEED OIL - rich in healthy omega-3 fats, but is not stable and breaks down quickly, meaning it is best suited to cold dishes such as salads. Also best stored in the fridge.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 07:32:37 am »
That's a good list thanks JD and Amy.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 07:50:45 am »
i would use canola oil or rice bran
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 10:32:41 am »
wow, JD thanks so much for putting this up and Amy for her contribution.  I choose rice bran and turned out nice texture but DH does not like the mayo with garlic in it. I only put half clove! So I am going to make again without. The rice bran oil was nice and light. Thanks

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 06:11:52 am »
Just made this my third attempt at mayo, the first one split, I didn't like the taste of the second, and wasn't to keen on this until I took on MeganJanes suggestion and added about a tablespoon of honey,  yummmo now it is nice,  thanks

Offline LouLouB

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2013, 09:29:25 am »
I was just about to make the EDC mayo for the first time, but thought I'd check here first (I'm over EDC disasters). If I follow the recipe step by step (or egg by egg heheh), roughly how much mayo will one egg make? (Probably a dumb question)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2013, 10:41:34 am »
In the EDC one egg + ingredients will make approx 270g Mayonnaise.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.