Author Topic: Recipe Review: Browned Butter Cherry Tart - For Food's Sake  (Read 11580 times)

Offline Susie B

• View Profile
Re: Recipe Review: Browned Butter Cherry Tart - For Food's Sake
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 06:25:55 am »
Thanks Judydawn.

Greyhoundmum, I would like to know the same thing. What other fruits could be used. 

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 12:30:23 am »
Looks lovely but I am not a fan of cherries, do you think blueberries would work OK?

I think blueberries are too watery, but it would be interesting to see. I would recommend any stone fruit...but have not tried.
I am fat enough...but hey, perhaps I need to give it another whirl with something else....

any volunteers out there?? ;D

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 03:35:52 am »
HELP!!!!  I am hoping one of the regular troubleshooters is online and able to advise.

I have just made the browned butter cherry tart.Cooked for 20 mins, lovely and brown on top. Left to cool, then when i put my finger on it (as i tend to do!!!) it is quite wobbly in the middle.

Is is supposed to be firm? or will it firm up upon cooling?  or shall I put it back into the oven....   I am not sure and It is dessert for guests coming over  later so I want to impress!!!!!!!

Any ideas will  be gratefully received.

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 01:46:22 pm »
Think I probably missed the boat on this one…hoping you put it back in the oven. It does become solid as it cools, but if you are serving warm, it does need to be cooked longer. Not all ovens are born equal either, so sometimes that is a factor.

Hoping you still impressed…let me know :D
xx

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 02:09:26 pm »
Hi Tenina,  thanks for the reply.  I decided to let it cool more hoping that it would set, we served it cold but unfortunately it was runny in the middle. It didn't take anything away from the taste though it was yummy. I think my oven too hot as it was quite brown on top.  I loved how easy the pastry base is to press into the tin.  next time I will lower temp a little and cook for longer, will definitely make again and would like to experiment with raspberries or nectarines.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 04:32:48 am »
Like Greyhound Mum my tart didn't set in the specified time so I put it in the oven for quite a while longer and by the time it cooled down in the fridge and it was just set, but because I cooked it longer, I thought the pastry was overdone.  I wondered if it was because I used fresh cherries--only had 500g not 680 as specified in the book, but they were very plump and juicy and barely fit in the tart tin, and therefore could not fit the whole quantity of the filling in.  Also the cherries were very sweet, so there wasn't the contrast of sweet and tart Cookie mentioned. Might try another time with Morello cherries, maybe.
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 08:19:52 am »
Oh - my - goodness!  This is glorious.

Got some fresh cherries really cheap at the farmer's markets, and so I used fresh cherries rather than morello. 

My tweaks:  I used rapadura sugar in the base to give that slightly caramel toffee flavour, but stuck with normal caster sugar for the filling. 

Taking into account what others said about needing a longer cooking time, I reduced the oven temp to 160 degrees (fan forced).  I cooked the base for the recommended 15 mins, but the fruit and filling needed and extra 15 minutes.  At the lower temperature it didn't burn at all.

Absolutely delicious.  5/5 
Karen in Adelaide